Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was mulling over a new case to triple SLI in for months now, and after long deliberation and flip-flopping back and forth I finally decided to commit to an STH10 from Caselabs.
biggrin.gif


I will be getting the parts to watercool it over the next few weeks-months, so sorry for the relatively unkempt appearance at the moment , ESPECIALLY with cable management! (I just hooked everything up to make sure everything was performing as expected)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Rampage III Extreme
CPU: i7 950
GPUs: EVGA GTX 580 x 3
GPU: Seasonic X1250
Fan Controller (not installed yet): Sunbeam PL-RS-6
W/C components: TBD


Box arrives!

Lots of padding

Everything beautifully individually wrapped

Pretty heavy bag of small parts

Laid out

It begins! As you may be able to tell, I initially installed the mid-chassis backwards (those screws are supposed to face the back). It wasn't a huge deal fixing it one I realized it a few steps later







Next to my Phantom 410 build. Completely dwarves it!

RIIIE Mobo. I tried installing a Zalman ZNPS10X heatsink temporarily I got for 20 bucks but unfortunately it wouldn't clear the RAM/ heatsinks on the other side of the CPU. I guess I'll have to stick with stock cooling until the watercooling is done?

Enermax UR Vegas red LED fan. I actually got it for free so figured I'd give it a try. The only weird thing is this fan is USB only...


Corsair dominator RAM (6 x 2 gb)



GTX 580 for testing


Seasonic X1250

Two previously modded 580's. The third one just got back from RMA which is why it wasn't modded



Mess of wires for testing!

This will actually be my first watercool build so I am up to a lot of suggestions and recommendations!

I was thinking for now I will use the MCW82 universal GPU blocks on the 580's (I have 2 of them "modded" currently from my old build) and that seems like it'd be a nice transition since I don't feel like going through the effort of getting full blocks at the moment for them.

I was considering Black Ice SR1 Rads (I was thinking 2 x 480 mm would suffice?... if not I could always do 3 x 480 mm...) and wanted to go with the SR1's since I've heard great things about build quality and performance for low speed fans.

I bought a bunch of fans (Yate Loons, AP15's, Phobya G2) just to try them out and see which ones I like the best.

I was thinking I would get two frozenq reservoirs and add them in the loop, just since it seems like two of them would be awfully nice in that XXL window.

I haven't really decided on CPU block yet, or pump. I'm not entirely sure what pump I would need for my build.

Any suggestions/recommendations/comments? Especially for pump suggestions/tubing diameter suggestions? Is there a most standard ID/OD? 1/2 inner 3/4 outer? (I have most of the other particulars down about W/C-ing it I think)

THANKS FOR LOOKING!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpb211 View Post

The MCP35x2 is an excellent pump that can be PWM controlled with the added benefit of redundancy (it's two MCP35X's in one housing).
Thanks for the recommendation!

I just read a review on Martinsliquidlab and it seems like a beastly pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik View Post

I'm looking forward to this build.
Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,224 Posts
Can you provide me a link to that USB fan?
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragsters View Post

Can you provide me a link to that USB fan?
smile.gif
Sure, the link is
http://www.amazon.com/Enermax-U-R-Vegas-Portable-Switchable-UCUR12-R/dp/B005EIH3T4
Aside from being a USB fan, so that being a little weird, I'm pretty damn happy with it
smile.gif
(and the being USB thing isnt a huge deal since the wire fits behind the door hinge)
Quote:
Originally Posted by younkster11 View Post

Subbed. And it is a great pump i am running it in my rig and its wonderful. and depend on the placement of the rads you could run a 360mm rad and a 480mm rad up top and a 480 in the basement with the pump.
Thanks for the recommendation and the sub
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just trying out a couple fans.

It seems like the AP-15 blows away all the other ones, especially the Yate Loons in regard to noise (pun not intended lol). I'm thinking I'll go with the AP15's for radiators, but can't decide on a nice red LED fan for the front of the case. I was trying the Phobya 2G and the Yate Loon low RPM Red LED's but both are sort of underwhelming TBH (although the build quality of the Phobya is impressive). Also, to use the Phobya's I'll need to get 4 pin (NOT molex) to 3 pin fan converters to attach to my 3 way 3 pin split cables

Also I think the third channel on my Sunbeam Rheosmart 6 is a little finicky- it seems like it drops the current at a certain speed (around 60-90%) and then once at 100% it continues to power a fan. I don't think it's worth the trouble of RMA-ing it and will just use the third channel on fans I intend to leave at full speed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-040-EN&groupid=701&catid=2331&subcat=4

Enermax T.B.VEGAS TRIO vUCTVT12P 120mm Fan





Bright Colours
Eye-catching and bright colours thanks to patented circular LED light with 54 diodes (18 blue, 18 red and 18 green diodes). Enermax LED fans shine many times brighter than ordinary LED fans. Spectacular Three-colour (blue/red/green) Light Show

The leading Enermax LED technology creates unmatched effects due to the patented circular LED light with 54 diodes (18x blue, 18x red, 18x green). Three colours (Blue, Red & Green) and 14 LED modes to choose from. LED mode button included.

Curved LED flashes
Focus Blades with light reflex strips to create exceptional, curved rays of light.

Powerful Cooling
High-performance Turbine Blades providing an air flow rate of max. 114m3/h.

Flexible Speed Control
RPM adjustment with 4-pin PWM mainboard fan control.

Twister Bearing
Smooth and persistent silent thanks to patented Twister Bearing Technology (min. 100,000 hours MTBF).

Click Mechanism
Detachable blades for easy cleaning from dust.

Effective vibration reduction
Four isolator mounts reduce vibrations and make the fan installation easier.

Dimensions (mm): W 120 x H 120 x D 25
LED Type (patented): Circular LED light with 54 diodes (each colour 18 diodes) LED Colours Blue, Red and Green
Bearing Type: Patented Twister Bearing Technology
Fan Speed (RPM): 500 ~ 1,600 (+/- 10%)
Air Flow (m3/h): 34.69 ~ 114.65
Air Flow (CFM): 20.42 ~ 67.48
Static Pressure (mm-H2O): 0.618 ~ 1.912
Min. Noise (dB(A)): 14
Input Power (W): 8.4
Input Current (A): 0.7
Rated Voltage (V) : 12
MTBF: 100.000 Stunden
Accessory: 4x isolator mounts, 3-to-4-pin adaptor, adhesive tape for mounting of LED button
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddieMayne View Post

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-040-EN&groupid=701&catid=2331&subcat=4

Enermax T.B.VEGAS TRIO vUCTVT12P 120mm Fan





Bright Colours
Eye-catching and bright colours thanks to patented circular LED light with 54 diodes (18 blue, 18 red and 18 green diodes). Enermax LED fans shine many times brighter than ordinary LED fans. Spectacular Three-colour (blue/red/green) Light Show

The leading Enermax LED technology creates unmatched effects due to the patented circular LED light with 54 diodes (18x blue, 18x red, 18x green). Three colours (Blue, Red & Green) and 14 LED modes to choose from. LED mode button included.

Curved LED flashes
Focus Blades with light reflex strips to create exceptional, curved rays of light.

Powerful Cooling
High-performance Turbine Blades providing an air flow rate of max. 114m3/h.

Flexible Speed Control
RPM adjustment with 4-pin PWM mainboard fan control.

Twister Bearing
Smooth and persistent silent thanks to patented Twister Bearing Technology (min. 100,000 hours MTBF).

Click Mechanism
Detachable blades for easy cleaning from dust.

Effective vibration reduction
Four isolator mounts reduce vibrations and make the fan installation easier.

Dimensions (mm): W 120 x H 120 x D 25
LED Type (patented): Circular LED light with 54 diodes (each colour 18 diodes) LED Colours Blue, Red and Green
Bearing Type: Patented Twister Bearing Technology
Fan Speed (RPM): 500 ~ 1,600 (+/- 10%)
Air Flow (m3/h): 34.69 ~ 114.65
Air Flow (CFM): 20.42 ~ 67.48
Static Pressure (mm-H2O): 0.618 ~ 1.912
Min. Noise (dB(A)): 14
Input Power (W): 8.4
Input Current (A): 0.7
Rated Voltage (V) : 12
MTBF: 100.000 Stunden
Accessory: 4x isolator mounts, 3-to-4-pin adaptor, adhesive tape for mounting of LED button
Mm, I was looking at my case carefully with some friends today and we did all agree the Enermax vegas lights look the best (I have one as the exhaust fan), so maybe I'll just get four more =D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slick4u View Post

How come you went with a X58 build? just wondering but nice build!
Hey!

Simple really:

a buddy of mine just had the R3E lying in his garage collecting dust with a 950, so I took it off his hands since it looks awesome and still performs like a beast (my previous rig was an Asus Sabertooth 990FX with an AMD 8120 @ 4.0 ghz).

I think I just need to watercool the CPU imminently so I can overclock it and up the performance
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeSP View Post

Hey!

Simple really:

a buddy of mine just had the R3E lying in his garage collecting dust with a 950, so I took it off his hands since it looks awesome and still performs like a beast (my previous rig was an Asus Sabertooth 990FX with an AMD 8120 @ 4.0 ghz).

I think I just need to watercool the CPU imminently so I can overclock it and up the performance
smile.gif
Oh yeah thats totally understandable, the x58 platform is still a very capable platform, have fun with the overclock
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm gonna be mounting 3 x 480 mm radiators (2 x UT60's and 1x EX480 most likely).

Had a quick question regarding push-pulls on the radiators.

For the 2 radiators that will be in the same heat chamber (2 x 480 mm), does it make a huge difference if I push-pull each of them, or I only have PULL on one, and PUSH on the other? (Or Push/pull on one and just push OR pull on the other?)

Or should I have a front fan blowing air in to the center and having them BOTH pull air out from the center?

I tried looking up extensively, but looks like most of the info is just on directly sandwiching rads which is a no-no.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some more progress!

Now I just need to figure out how I want to do the rest of the tubing...

More good stuff arrives!


3 x MCW82.

My rationale was I don't know how long I'll be using the 580's for and at least these are universal. It's also near impossible to find 580 blocks now anyway
tongue.gif



3 x 580's. 2 were previously "modded" !


3 x 580s with MCW82's attached! I actually had to sand down part of the heat shroud thingy to make the MCW82 flush with the chip. (There are four small elevated circled in the corners that just elevate the block slightly too much).


Swiftech triple SLI bridge


1 x UT60 480 mm installed


GPU's on Mobo


I really hope there aren't any leaks here during the leak-test- it was quite a pain to get the triple SLI bridge on


Connected to CPU block (Raystorm)


One of the swiftech lok-seal fittings broke when I was barely tightening it. the 45 degree ones are a huge pain since it seems like it's impossible to tighten the fitting on top of them (as they keep turning)


Now I need to figure out tubing management from res/pump to 2 x rads in the bottom, the mobo, and the rad in the top!


Also, as you can see, as of now, the pump/res are kinda just sitting there.... I was considering just letting them be suspended by tubing, so I don't have to drill into the case. Would this be a terrible idea?

Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
Looking good so far!

As for the pump/res, it is really up to you. If they feel secure when you wiggle them, then they are probably fine. I have seen other builds that the res suspended like that and it is fine. Although playing it safe and just drilling a few holes to secure them is not a bad idea either.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top