Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here in a long time, life happens but it is time for another new build and I figure this is the best place to share my *craftsmanship* and document the build.

Components: (* = already had laying around)
Black Bitfenix Prodigy (duh)
CM ATCS 840 removable motherboard tray
Intel i5 3570k
*Asrock Z77 Extreme6
*G Skill 8GB Sniper 1600
*EVGA GTX 550Ti (for now)
LG BT20N laptop BluRay burner
*Kingston HyperX 128GB SSD
2x Hitachi 4TB HDD
Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK
Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm fan
SILVERSTONE ST65F-G

Mod Materials:
Mesh (.024" thick 1/16 holes on 3/32 centers 41% open)
8mm thick aluminum plate new front panel (possibly converted into a door)
4mm thick aluminum for badges (turned and anodized black with blue edges)
.040 steel to fill some stock holes
Black satin finish paint
Acrylic for window

The current plan: (If a picture is worth a 1000 words here's a couple thousand)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchris View Post

im getting into the small builds now. like the look of it.
This is my first small build or what I call a compression build (lets see how much we can fit in a small case
biggrin.gif
)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillThePancake View Post

Looks awesome, especially with that giant cooler. Subbed
biggrin.gif
Yeah they don't come much bigger than the Phanteks, they work quite well too, I have one in another system with a [email protected] never seen over 62° (40° Delta) and that was at the end of a 45min render.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Small update:

Well I don't have any fancy tools here at home so I made do with what I have. I made a template with a piece of an old calendar, rough cut the mesh and then drew a bunch of straight lines to use as a bend guide.

Placed the mesh in my deck break (slot between 2 slats of my back deck). Line 1 little pressure, line 2 same.... test fit... repeat...repeat MANY times. Deep breath is this thing ever going to fit (damn variable radius).

Ahhhhhhh! finally a fit I can live with. (Little rusty soda blast cabinet I will see you Monday)

Cutout in bottom of case for mobo tray

Fit of mobo tray at the top and unfinished weld, I wanted to make sure it fit well before I put filler metal in the seems.

Tray partially in case cocked to catch on a factory screw hole for the pic.

Rear I/O with the bottom loop thing installed.

Like my ball peen hammer/prop?
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
304 Posts
Busch Light? Blah! I light viewing the build process but seeing the beer makes my head hurt already.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew someone would make a comment about Brewed Under Six Clydesdale Horses Light but it tastes the same as Bud Light to me only about 30% cheaper and I spend too much on electronics and other hobbies so I have to cut corners somewhere.
What is your beverage of choice?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Evolution View Post

I knew someone would make a comment about Brewed Under Six Clydesdale Horses Light but it tastes the same as Bud Light to me only about 30% cheaper and I spend too much on electronics and other hobbies so I have to cut corners somewhere.
What is your beverage of choice?
shiner bock also subbed

·
Registered
256 Posts
Removable Motherboard try?! That's superbe.

The graphic card seems like a tight fitting, could you rotate the view to see the cooling concept of the graphic cards?
I can't figure out where it gets the cool air from. Presumably a 120mm in front of the HDDs?

That thing really diserves the name "compression build"!
Good luck! Definetly subbed!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan o' water View Post

Beverage of choice? Lagunitas India Pale Ale (not that you asked me)
tongue.gif

I like what you are doing with your case - can't wait to see the results. Cheers
Thanks and I can't wait either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nta1 View Post

Must say, that hand formed Mesh looks impressive. And yeah its a compression build, cant really compress much more into that case
thumb.gif
Looks very cool!
That mesh was a PITA I have never had to much trouble forming a piece of sheet metal the multiple contours and the little tabs of the top created some challenges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillThePancake View Post

That mesh looks pretty sweet.
First time I saw the Prodigy I thought is was begging for mesh, so it had to be done and I am pleased with it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepToon View Post

Removable Motherboard try?! That's superbe.

The graphic card seems like a tight fitting, could you rotate the view to see the cooling concept of the graphic cards?
I can't figure out where it gets the cool air from. Presumably a 120mm in front of the HDDs?

That thing really diserves the name "compression build"!
Good luck! Definetly subbed!
With as packed as this thing is going to be I felt a removable tray was a requirement and it is just cool.
Yeah it is pretty tight there is about .75"/19mm between GPU and PSU in current layout, the 200mm fan up top should supply plenty of fresh air and
I am not 100% set on the PSU and HDD cage locations yet though. Have considered hanging the PSU off the back of the case but would prefer to keep
everything within the confines of the case.
I have been waiting for a name to come to me and I am thinking Prodigy Solid.
Prodigy Solid for 2 reasons:
  1. I used Solidworks for the concept
  2. WinRAR has a compression setting called solid

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the Side picture. I thought the airflow was the other way around.
I don't like how this concept works against convection.

180° Degree turn of the Motherboard would make more sense. Not only because of the cooling but also because of the connectors.
Seems like it's going to be a hassle to connect everything when it's on the botton.

Suggestions for the name: Prodigy compaction.
Solid kinda focuses on it being sturdy or something.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepToon View Post

Thanks for the Side picture. I thought the airflow was the other way around.
I don't like how this concept works against convection.

180° Degree turn of the Motherboard would make more sense. Not only because of the cooling but also because of the connectors.
Seems like it's going to be a hassle to connect everything when it's on the botton.

Suggestions for the name: Prodigy compaction.
Solid kinda focuses on it being sturdy or something.
I didn't mean that the 200 is an intake just that it will pull fresh air toward the GPU.
I prefer to have the cables coming out the bottom and if at the top I would have to remove the mesh to plug anything in versus just tipping the case up.
Once everything is connected I will rarely have need to plug anything in anyway since the front I/O will have 2 USB 3, 4 USB 2, Audio, and 2 E-SATA ports.

Yeah people might not get the meaning of Solid.
Prodigy Permutation
Permutation comes up on Thesaurus.com when searching compression.
I think I found my name. What do you think?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ohh okay so it goes with the convection, sorry about that misunderstanding.

Permutation sounds cool although the meaning is different, it means exchanging, transform.

Maybe some latin stuff? Sounds cool too
wink.gif

http://www.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookdown.pl

addenseo -ere [to make thick or compact].

addenso -are [to make thick or compact].

compingo -pingere -pegi -pactum [to put together , construct]; [to confine, lock up, conceal]. Hence partic. compactus -a -um, [constructed, built]; hence [firm, compact].

confercio -fercire -fertum [to press close together , compress, cram together]; usually in perf. partic. confertus -a -um, [compressed, dense]; of troops, [in close formation]; with abl., [stuffed with, full of]; adv. confertim, [compactly].

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You left out part of the latin translations I kinda like this one.
comprimo [to press together; to press tightly]; hence [to embrace; to check , restrain, suppress]. Hence compar. adv. compressius, [more (or rather) concisely]

comprimo - short for Computer Primo or the translation I like double meanings.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nothing exciting but here is a little progression.

Removed the top fan mounts

Left the lip since it adds rigidity to the panel

I think this is going to be the new home for the hard drives used a couple old PATA drives for a mockup

Now on to my first set back. Went to grab the mail and had a package which should have been a good thing.
I open the package expecting my 12mm standoffs instead it was some light bulbs for a vehicle so now I have
to wait even longer to do proper motherboard mockups or fab some standoffs from m3 screws and spacers.
Gotta love it when you get a wrong item and the lights are broke to boot.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
To help convection, I think the fans should all be blowing air out of the top and sucking cool air from the bottom. Didn't know if this was already intended, just noticed that the fans were used as intake on the render. I love the layout though, can't wait for more updates.
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.