Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Project: Heatripper Threadkiller has begun!

The name comes from a mash-up of the CPU (Threadripper) and most of the components of the loop (Watercool's Heatkiller series).

Going with the HEDT platform because I've never built one before and I figured it was about time. I don't actually need lots of cores/threads but I want the build experience. Who knows -- maybe once I get them I'll start using them...

This build started with the idea that I needed to get away from my "comfort zone" brands -- EVGA for GPUs, ASUS for mainboards, and EK for most loop components. I also want this to be a show build at least partially -- enough to want a vertical GPU and a coolant with some sort of effect (Mayhems Pastel or UFO Technologies Cryo-Chillz), but not enough to do hard tubing.

Also notable is that I am going to keep this build RGB-free if I can manage it.

Heatripper Threadkiller Settings and Long-Term Test

-----

Purchases:

From Best Buy (04/27/18):
Logitech G Pro RGB USB Keyboard
Logitech G Pro RGB USB Mouse
Logitech G633 7.1 RGB USB Headset
Total: $263.88 including tax

From Microcenter (04/27/18):
Logitech G440 Hard Gaming Mouse Mat
Total: $32.25 including tax

From Newegg (03/12/18):
Corsair HX1000i Power Supply
Total: $229.99 including

From CableMod (03/08/18):
Custom ModMesh Cable Set w/ full Pro upgrade for Corsair HX1000i
Total: $246.80 including shipping

From Performance PCs (03/05/18):
Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 - 120mm PWM High-Speed Fan (4)
Total: $95.76 including shipping

From EKWB (02/26/18):
EKWB EK-FB ASRock X399 RGB Monoblock - Nickel
Total: $184.45 including shipping

From Performance PCs (02/26/18):
Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 - 120mm PWM High-Speed Fan (2)
Total: $59.22 including shipping

From Microcenter (02/16/18):
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
ASRock X399 Taichi
PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 10/16mm - Crystal Clear (2)
Enermax LiqTech 280 AIO
Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Paste
Total: $1,523.62 including tax

From Microcenter (02/09/18):
AOC Agon AG271UG 27" IPS 4K UHD Gaming LED Monitor (Returned -$462.37)
Whoosh Screen Shine
Total: $16.12 including tax

From Watercool (02/08/18):
Watercool MO-RA3 360 LT - White
Watercool MO-RA3 360 Fan Grill Diamond - White
Watercool HEATKILLER Tube - MO-RA3 Adapter - Black
Total: $232.22 including shipping

From Performance PCs (02/08/18):
Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 - 120mm PWM High-Speed Fan (1)
Silverstone CPF01-D PWM Fan Splitter Cable
ModRight Black-Out Series 24" 4-Pin PWM Extension Cable
Koolance QD3 Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling, Female Compression 10mm x 16mm Black (2)
Koolance QD3 Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling, Male Compression 10mm x 16mm Black (2)
Mayhems Pastel Coolant - 1 Liter - Yellow (1)
Gelid GC-Extreme Thermal Compound
Total: $127.83 including shipping

From FrozenCPU (02/07/18):
Watercool MO-RA3 Radiator Stand Set - Acetal
Total: $42.34 including shipping

From ModMyMods (01/29/18):
Barrow G1/4" Thread 3/8" ID 5/8" OD Compression Fitting - Black (14)
Total: $74.94 including shipping

From NewEgg (01/29/18):
G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14Q-32GTZRX 4x8GB
Corsair Gaming PBT Double-shot Keycaps Full 104/105-Keyset - White
Total: $579.98 including shipping

From Performance PCs (01/29/18):
PrimoChill Praxis WetBench - White/Black
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480 GTX
Hardware Labs Black Ice Mount Screws M4x30mm Black (4 sets)
Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High-Speed Fan (8)
DEMCiflex Magnetic Fan Dust Filter - Custom Filter for Quadruple 120mm Radiators
XSPC LCD Temperature Display (Blue/White) V2 + G1/4" Inline Sensor
Swiftech 8-Way PWM Splitter Box - SATA
Mayhems Pastel Coolant - 1 Liter - Yellow (2)
Total: $641.84 including shipping

From Nvidia (01/25/18):
Nvidia GTX Titan Xp Jedi Order Collector's Edition
Total: $1,223.63 including shipping

From Watercool (01/21/18):
Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro for Threadripper ACRYL NICKEL-BLACK
Watercool Heatkiller IV for TITAN X and GTX 1080Ti - ACRYL Ni-Bl
Watercool Heatkiller IV eBC - Backplate for GTX 1080, 1080Ti, 1070 and Titan X
Watercool WCP D5-VARIO with Heatkiller D5-TOP
Watercool Heatkiller Tube 150
Watercool Option - Alternative MultiPort top
Watercool Heatkiller Tube - basic mounting kit
Watercool Heatkiller Tube - 120mm fan adapter (pair)
Total: $513.15 including shipping

-----

Total Spent As Of 04/27/18: $6,088.02

-----

Reusing from previous build(s):
Samsung 960 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe
Corsair HX750i 750W Power Supply
Acer XB270HU bprz 1440p 144Hz G-Sync Gaming Monitor
Corsair Gaming K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE USB Keyboard
Corsair Gaming GLAIVE RGB USB Mouse
Corsair Gaming VOID RGB USB Headset
Corsair Gaming MM400 Compact High-Speed Mouse Mat

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My two most recent builds:
***WARNING: External Links***
Project: RED Glare
Project: inFEKshun (renamed TT Green)

·
Fusion is Future
1,393 Posts
Nice build name!

·
Amiga 500
3,680 Posts
Subbed.I love some threadripper watercooled pr0n :D

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. I ordered the Titan Xp Jedi Order Collector's Edition earlier today and they said to expect 24-48 hours for processing time ... but I just got an Email saying my card shipped.

I ordered it with the free Ground shipping, so it'll be here early next week I think. W00t! :specool:

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Subbed. (Hopefully this worked....)
Is there a typical turnaround time for orders from your web store? Everything was in stock. I placed the order on Sunday, payment was taken and the order closed on Monday, but I haven't had any updates since. The order number is 8002.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Is there a typical turnaround time for orders from your web store? Everything was in stock. I placed the order on Sunday, payment was taken and the order closed on Monday, but I haven't had any updates since. The order number is 8002.
The normal processing time is two business days. We had a bad overlap of sick leave time by two employees and an unusual peak of orders at the same time last week which impacted the shipping time badly. We are working hard to get all orders out as fast as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got my federal tax refund and it was burning a hole in my pocket so I placed a couple of orders today.

I was not able to avoid RGB -- purchased some Trident Z RGB RAM. The non-RGB stuff was either out of stock or (even more) unreasonably priced.

The case/bench decision was not easy and I had been waffling back and forth for a while. I had actually made up my mine earlier today to get a DimasTech Easy V3.0 direct from them as nobody stateside has them in stock, but their website's ordering system kept giving me errors when trying to pay with PayPal. In the end I decided to go with the PrimoChill Praxis WetBench as I like the ease of access afforded by test benches (plus I like being able to see the build's guts from any angle). Going with the WetBench meant I would have less radiator available (480 vs 720) so I decided to maximize it by doing a push/pull config. We'll see how much effect having two less rad spaces has on the build's overclocking -- I could very easily come to regret the bench choice.

I decided to go with Mayhems Pastel over the Cryo-Chillz coolant because it's a more well-known company and product. I was going to get Light Grey but that seemed too bland. I had already done red and green for build themes, so I got yellow for this one.

I already have the Titan Xp, and the RAM+Keycaps order from NewEgg shipped today. I'm thinking the ModMyMods and Performance PCs orders should ship tomorrow, so I should have more goodies by the end of the week. Still waiting (im)patiently for the Watercool order to ship. But in any case I'll have to wait another week and a half for my next paycheck (or whenever my state tax refund arrives) to make the final purchase.

Whee!!! It's fun going broke by choice!!! :thumb: :D

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Damn new platform and duplicate posts!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Going with the WetBench meant I would have less radiator available (480 vs 720) so I decided to maximize it by doing a push/pull config. We'll see how much effect having two less rad spaces has on the build's overclocking -- I could very easily come to regret the bench choice.
When you're building in/on a bench that doesn't offer "internal" radiator spaces (well, that's what a bench is defined by...), you could just go all out crazy and use an external radiator. With our MO-RA3, you'll never have to worry about sufficient cooling power ever again :)

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The ModMyMods and Performance PCs orders did ship yesterday like I suspected. I checked my Watercool order and it's now showing "In Process" so my stuff may ship today or tomorrow. :D :thumb:

When you're building in/on a bench that doesn't offer "internal" radiator spaces (well, that's what a bench is defined by...), you could just go all out crazy and use an external radiator. With our MO-RA3, you'll never have to worry about sufficient cooling power ever again :)
I've done the overkill cooling thing before (not to quite that level though). I'm viewing this as a challenge, seeing what I can get out of a high-heat CPU+GPU loop with just a 480 rad. The cooling may not even be a factor if my CPU and GPU are dud overclockers.

Having said that, I might pick up some quick-disconnects so I can change the loop without having to re-do the entire thing.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tested the Trident Z "X" RAM in my current system last night, and all four sticks work at XMP settings.

Going to test the Titan Xp in my current system tonight. Will have to put it in the PCIe x8 slot as I can't get the existing GPU out of the way of the x16 slot due to tubing length.

The ModMyMods and Performance PCs packages arrived at my work today, so now all I'm missing is the stuff I haven't bought yet (CPU, mainboard, and tubing) and the Watercool order (still In Process, hoping it will ship next week).

·
Registered
594 Posts
Got my federal tax refund and it was burning a hole in my pocket so I placed a couple of orders today.

I was not able to avoid RGB -- purchased some Trident Z RGB RAM. The non-RGB stuff was either out of stock or (even more) unreasonably priced.

The case/bench decision was not easy and I had been waffling back and forth for a while. I had actually made up my mind earlier today to get a DimasTech Easy V3.0 direct from them as nobody stateside has them in stock, but their website's ordering system kept giving me errors when trying to pay with PayPal. In the end I decided to go with the PrimoChill Praxis WetBench as I like the ease of access afforded by test benches (plus I like being able to see the build's guts from any angle). Going with the WetBench meant I would have less radiator available (480 vs 720) so I decided to maximize it by doing a push/pull config. We'll see how much effect having two less rad spaces has on the build's overclocking -- I could very easily come to regret the bench choice.

I decided to go with Mayhems Pastel over the Cryo-Chillz coolant because it's a more well-known company and product. I was going to get Light Grey but that seemed too bland. I had already done red and green for build themes, so I got yellow for this one.

I already have the Titan Xp, and the RAM+Keycaps order from NewEgg shipped today. I'm thinking the ModMyMods and Performance PCs orders should ship tomorrow, so I should have more goodies by the end of the week. Still waiting (im)patiently for the Watercool order to ship. But in any case I'll have to wait another week and a half for my next paycheck (or whenever my state tax refund arrives) to make the final purchase.

Whee!!! It's fun going broke by choice!!! :thumb: :D
Did you just waist $400 dollars on rapid return??!!

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you just waist $400 dollars on rapid return??!!
I'm assuming that's some service like a refund anticipation loan or the like, and the answer is no. I've got really simple taxes and I submit them around January 11th or so every year. The government accepts them early and I'm always in the first wave of refunds with direct deposit. This year E-filing my taxes was free.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
W00t!!! I just found an Email saying my Watercool order shipped yesterday and it should be delivered on the 12th!!! :D :specool:

In other news, I have decided to take my cooling up a notch with a MO-RA3 360 LT radiator. I'll be ordering that, some accessories, and some Koolance quick disconnects tomorrow.

Edit: I'll be selling the new-in-box 480GTX radiator, extra screw sets, and 480 magnetic filter soon, so look for a posting in the Marketplace. There will be other parts as well.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just realized that I'll be returning to my water-cooling roots with this build. My first water-cooled build had an external radiator stand with a 360 on it, just to cool the CPU. The case I had at the time had no radiator-mounting capabilities.

So that just adds one more layer of Cool onto this, for me anyway...

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just picked up my new AOC 27" 4K G-Sync monitor from Microcenter. Will hook it up to the new Jedi Order Titan Xp in my existing system to test it out later.

The first Watercool order will be arriving Monday, and the second Performance PCs order will be arriving Tuesday.

CPU and mainboard purchase still has to wait until I get my state tax refund or next paycheck, whichever comes first. Will likely be another couple of weeks before this beast gets fully assembled.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Going to be returning the AOC 4K monitor -- I simply cannot stand gaming at 60Hz. Hell, I even had a hard time watching the Doom cut-scenes at 60Hz on my 144Hz monitor.

Got three pics of the stuff I have already.

1. All of the loop stuff, keycaps, and the case.
2. The 4x8GB RAM kit being tested/used in my current system.
3. The Jedi Order Titan Xp being tested/used in my current system. Yes that's a 1080 right above it, hanging there unused.

Still waiting on the MO-RA3 360 LT radiator, mounting hardware and feet, plus the CPU, mainboard, and soft tubing.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 61 Posts