Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mr. Overkill
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post!

I am a long time lurker and PC Builder, but never felt like I had a rig worth sharing with the community.
In the past few years my car hobby has taken front row, but with my car in the shop for some SEMA prep, I decided I had enough free time to get back into the custom PC world!

With that said, this project is mostly finished as of 8/6/2018, but I will be editing the hundreds of pictures and uploading them as I get around to the edits here like the build is not completed yet.

Parts list:
Intel I9 7980XE
Asus Strix X299
8x8GB GSkill Trident 3200MHz
2x Asus Strix 1080Ti OC
Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB
Corsair 1600i PSU
2x Hardware Labs Nemesis GTR 480
1x Hardware Labs Nemesis GTR 360
2x Monsoon 250mm Reservoirs
2x Bitspower Mod Pumps
Metric Boatload of Phanteks Fans
EK Monoblocks
Custom Backplates
Custom Acrylic Bases
Custom 10/12mm hardlines
and all of it will be going into a Phanteks Elite Case

With that said, I am off to edit the 150+ pictures I have taken during the build and I will post them here as I get around to editing everything (anticipating everything to be posted within 2-3 days).

Sub to the thread as I will also have some professional pics taken of the finished system by this weekend.

Hope you enjoy following this and the pictures as much as I enjoyed building the rig!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hope you're i9 7980Xe doesn't have faulty memory controller like seemingly does

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Mr. Overkill
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had everything put together in another case for about 3 weeks with a mild OC (running a AIO cooler on the CPU and Stock Air coolers on the GPU's) before diving into this build as I knew taking it back apart would be a pain.

I tested everything and did some gaming here and there with no issues before proceeding on this adventure so I think all the components are good to go!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Sweet that's good to hear mine can oc to a nice 4.5 GHz no prob temps are in mid 50s under load but it can't seem to address more then 8 GB if ram so I'm hoping test a 16 GB stick prey it works lol

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Mr. Overkill
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen that before.
I am lucky enough to live within driving distance of a Micro Center so I would have been able to exchange it if it gave me any issues (Like I had to do with 2 motherboards, 1 DOA and 1 had a bad bios flash on it).
Now, on water, I got mine up to 4.55ish (quick OC this weekend, will tinker with is some more throughout the week) with load temps in the high 40's, up to low 50's. Idle temps stay around 30, but I have a odd fan curve as I like the system to be almost silent during just regular use and web browsing, so the fans don't even kick on until the temps reach mid to high 30's.

·
Mr. Overkill
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lets start off with the chair (Since nobody will care about it as they're waiting for me to post actual build pics)!
Ended up with a Titan by Secret Labs.
Packaging and presentation was phenomenal, chair was easy to assemble and for sure worth every dime!

Attachments

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
Well this should be good, welcome!

·
Mr. Overkill
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then while still waiting on the case (it was only about a week since that was one of the few items I was unable to get rush shipping on), I decided to go ahead and install the GPU Plates, Backplates and the Monoblock and test first everything on the motherboard.

This present a issue right away (way sooner than I wanted issues to come up).
I purchased custom LED backplates from Performance PC's. These backplates have 2 layers to them, a clear acrylic layer for the lights and then a black acrylic layer with a logo of your choice cut out.
I installed these on top of the EK full back plate as I figure the acrylic would serve no purpose when it comes to cooling. Once all 3 of these were combined, it made the card in slot 1 too tall, causing it to not clear the ROG module on the motherboard.

The last pics are where I had to remove the module, before cutting the plates to make everything fit.

Attachments

·
Mr. Overkill
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now, what build would be complete if you took the easy way out.
Out comes the dremel before the case or acrylic ever shows up, haha!
All in all, it was a very easy mod however. One hang up was that I had to cut enough of the acrylic piece off to where a portion of it would have been only held in by 1 screw. This was "fixed" by me gluing the clear piece to the black piece after aligning the screw holes. Not ideal, but it got the job done and the result was simple and clean and most importantly, it fit!

Attachments

·
Mr. Overkill
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And then, the case arrived!
The FedEx guy was not amused with the huge box it came in.
Everything on this case was amazing! 2 Accessory boxes with all the little odd's and end's you could ever want.
It's the simply things, like a box for all the screws that set this thing apart and justify it's pricetag.
Construction was full aluminum, powder coat was beautiful and flawless.
The only issue with is is how heavy this thing is.

Attachments

·
Mr. Overkill
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Once I inspected the case, I knew I would make the bottom and side panel out of acylic in order to reduce the amount of un-needed holes.
While waiting on the sheets to arrive, I decided to go ahead and start mocking up components and figuring out loop order and where the lines would go.

Attachments

·
Mr. Overkill
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And then, acrylic showed up and it was time to have some fun!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts