Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Project Kaveri ITX

Not quite "beastly" just yet, but it will be by the end of January! I've only ever seen one other Wesena case build here by member iKem. Wasn't sure if I should post here or the HTPC subforum, but I think It will be pretty beastly for it's size. I'm going to try and push the limits of what I can fit in the Wesena case. Based on the TDP of the parts I've listed, the 160watt Pico PSU should be enough to power everything. Assuming the 7850K is going to consume around 100watts, I'm thinking I might be able to do dual graphics with an R7 240 that has a TDP of just 30watts.

I'll be using this thread for reference since he fits a sound card in the same spot and position that I want to fit the R7 240. Questions and comments are welcome! Let me know what you think
smile.gif

Post your requests for what games you would like to see run on this new APU!

Current Specs:

Wesena HTPC-ITX-1
Zotac IONITX-A-U Atom 330 @ 1.8ghz
4GB DDR2 1066
No HDD/SSD - PXE Booting Openelec from my Home server using Tiny Pxe Server

Future Specs:

AMD A10 7850K 95w - $189
Asrock FM2A88X-ITX+ - $99
Samsung mSata 120GB SSD - $119
Asus R7 240 (Optional) - $70
AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 8GB DDR3 2400 - $121
Scythe Kozuti - $40
2xGelid 60mm case fans - $7.99/each
Phobya 120mm Sim Profile Fan - $20
FrozenCPU mods, C-strip, Grill, screws, cables - $24
Mini-Box picoPSU-160-XT 160watt - 200watt peak with 192watt power brick - $60
Wesena HTPC-ITX-1 - $40
Logitech K400 HTPC keyboard - $18.99

Total: $747 without dedicated card

This will be mainly an HTPC for the living room, but also a SteamBox & general mid-range gaming PC. I'll keep the log updated when I receive new parts and begin the modifications on the case. For now, here is what it currently looks like.

No boot up
frown.gif

·
Registered
304 Posts
I honestly think a low profile air cooler would cool better than that... hmm looks like it would fit though.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKap View Post

I honestly think a low profile air cooler would cool better than that... hmm looks like it would fit though.
Yea I've been looking into it more and I agree. I guess this would just be something cool to do "because I can" sort of thing
tongue.gif

The main thing I'm looking forward to is Dual Graphics with the 7850K and the R7 240 with the 160 watt PicoPSU

Also I've been searching through different air coolers, and a friend sent me this link. Anyone have much info on this? I see a couple reviewers were using it with s 5800K

·
Registered
304 Posts
I understand the "just cuz I can" thing
tongue.gif

Not sure how well that dual graphics setup will work but sounds pretty cool
smile.gif

As for that cooler, looks OK to me, got a mate using a Zalman cooler of similar design and it does the job
smile.gif
How much clearance do you have though? Might fit something bigger in there

·
CYRUS + KEF + LG OLED....
1,423 Posts
I used the (12 V) car specific model, but didn't push it to >170W as you intend to....

dunx

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alted4 View Post

Wouldn't a 7750 be more powerful than the R7 240 with the same power draw?
You make a good point there. It probably would be the better card to crossfire with the APU, but the max TDP under load is about 55watts. That alone might put me over a bit.

I think I'll have to wait and see what the 7850K will draw on it's own first, then make my graphics card decision after. The only other thing that will be powered is an SSD and a couple fans. Going to be pushing it with only 160w PSU.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Minor project update:

We are now 2 days away from the Official retail launch of the AMD A10 7850K APU! I've nailed down what memory I will be using, which is here. For the price and speed I couldn't find anything better. When it comes to an APU, the memory bandwidth is definitely what matters most. For now, the SSD will be a spare 60GB OCZ sata III until I can liberate my Samsung 830 128GB from my desktop towards the end of the month. Assuming that Newegg doesn't run out of all their 7850K stock, I should be ready for building and testing by the weekend!

To touch on the design portion of the build, I've been thinking about trying out thermal isolation zones similar to the Steam Machine to improve cooling. The most I'm worried about is ample air flow to the APU. Obviously this is a smaller case then the Steam Machine, so it should be interesting to engineer this. The 2 60mm Gelid fans should come in handy.

Finally to the bit I'm sure you are all curious about.... Games. I will be testing Battlefield 4 right off the bat, as well as a few other games from my Steam library. The first round of tests will be done on Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit, then I'll load SteamOS and test what Linux capable games I have. I'm sure everyone here has their own specific title they would like to see tested, so I'm taking submissions starting this week on what games you guys would like to see running on this new APU! Post your requests in this thread, and I'll make a list of the final games to be tested at the end of the week.

Check back for regular updates
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerr View Post

Where did you get that case? I love it! Depending on how well it preforms it could be one hell of a man rig.
thumb.gif
I linked to it in the OP. It's the Wesena ITX1. I've always liked the simple look of a mac mini, and this case gets me as close as I can get to it.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts