Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Plan to try WOW by chance?

Also,
If your worried about power could a person just run two of those Pico PSUs?

Looks great btw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxol View Post

Plan to try WOW by chance?

Also,
If your worried about power could a person just run two of those Pico PSUs?

Looks great btw
WoW is one game i do not have. I'm not exactly a big fan of it since I've seen it destroy my friends lives
tongue.gif


The picoPSU though connect directly to the 24pin on the board, so running an extra one along side would be impossible. I could look into getting a higher wattage PSU that takes up a bit more space, but we'll see how this works out for now.

Also, Project Update:

The build is on hold now until I can get an older A4 FM2 APU in order to update the board BIOS on the Gigabyte. I've recently found out that the BIOS that is shipping with the GA-F2A88XN-WIFI is the F1 version that doesn't not support Kaveri chips. All I got when pressing the power button was a black screen and no video signal. I figured that the board would need a BIOS update, but I also figured I could at least POST so I could do the update! After some research I finally found a note that Gigabyte typed up on their CPU support page for the board that states the following....
Quote:
Note: To support FM2+ APUs, be sure to use an FM2 APU to update the BIOS to the latest version with the EFI Flash tool included in the zip file. (For a future BIOS upgrade, you can use either the Q-Flash or the EFI Flash tool. )
BIOS version F2 is when they added support for Kaveri. Now they are on F3. How in the world Newegg can get away with selling a board that's marketed as having FM2+ support for the new APU's and actually not having them function out of the box is beyond me. Obviously They still had stock of the F1 version boards, but I ordered this board in the beginning of the month! They should be updated or else have a warning on the product page on Newegg.

in the end I had to pull the trigger on an A4 4000 from Amazon for $50. I was really hopping to put this money towards dual graphics though
frown.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
That sucks about the board man! Sorry

and thanks for the info on that Pico....I was thinking you didn't HAVE too have it connected to the MB and that you could actually run it to power a single fan IF you wanted too haha. Was thinking you could run one JUST to the MB and another for fans/everything else. Maybe even a lower watt one could do it /shrug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxol View Post

That sucks about the board man! Sorry

and thanks for the info on that Pico....I was thinking you didn't HAVE too have it connected to the MB and that you could actually run it to power a single fan IF you wanted too haha. Was thinking you could run one JUST to the MB and another for fans/everything else. Maybe even a lower watt one could do it /shrug
This site is a great resource for everything small form factor and power.

http://www.mini-box.com/site/index.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerr View Post

I don't see why it would be any different the how you would use two PSUs in a standard case
I suppose I could just jump start the second picoPSU, but it would almost seem like a waste to use a second one to just power what couple fans I have. I honestly don't know what I would use it for lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opty165 View Post

WoW is one game i do not have. I'm not exactly a big fan of it since I've seen it destroy my friends lives
tongue.gif


The picoPSU though connect directly to the 24pin on the board, so running an extra one along side would be impossible. I could look into getting a higher wattage PSU that takes up a bit more space, but we'll see how this works out for now.

Also, Project Update:

The build is on hold now until I can get an older A4 FM2 APU in order to update the board BIOS on the Gigabyte. I've recently found out that the BIOS that is shipping with the GA-F2A88XN-WIFI is the F1 version that doesn't not support Kaveri chips. All I got when pressing the power button was a black screen and no video signal. I figured that the board would need a BIOS update, but I also figured I could at least POST so I could do the update! After some research I finally found a note that Gigabyte typed up on their CPU support page for the board that states the following....
BIOS version F2 is when they added support for Kaveri. Now they are on F3. How in the world Newegg can get away with selling a board that's marketed as having FM2+ support for the new APU's and actually not having them function out of the box is beyond me. Obviously They still had stock of the F1 version boards, but I ordered this board in the beginning of the month! They should be updated or else have a warning on the product page on Newegg.

in the end I had to pull the trigger on an A4 4000 from Amazon for $50. I was really hopping to put this money towards dual graphics though
frown.gif
Following your build with great interest. Considering the same case. Thanks for the heads-up on the necessity to having to get an FM2 APU to update the BIOS to the latest version. Now the extra $50 for an A4 is really like paying an extra $50 for the motheboard, even if you could manage to sell the A4 on ebay + the hassle. I saw on Tom's Hardware the following from user "spooky2th" aka Motherboard master, which I gather is an alternative route:

"The easiest and safest way is to use Qflash. Download the latest bios F7, from gigabyte. Then unpack the file. You should have three files. Copy them to a USB drive (with nothing else) that is formatted in FAT32, which is what they usually come in from the manufacturer. Enter into Qflash in BIOS with the USB installed into a 2.0 port. Follow the directions to load the BIOS. The USB will show up as a HDD. Choose it and you should see the three files or sometimes the correct one only shows up. Don't worry about choosing the wrong file. You will get a message saying that it cannot be loaded. If that happens try another of the three files till you get the right one. After BIOS update, load optimized defaults and set up anything else that needs to be set up in the BIOS."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post

Following your build with great interest. Considering the same case. Thanks for the heads-up on the necessity to having to get an FM2 APU to update the BIOS to the latest version. Now the extra $50 for an A4 is really like paying an extra $50 for the motheboard, even if you could manage to sell the A4 on ebay + the hassle. I saw on Tom's Hardware the following from user "spooky2th" aka Motherboard master, which I gather is an alternative route:

"The easiest and safest way is to use Qflash. Download the latest bios F7, from gigabyte. Then unpack the file. You should have three files. Copy them to a USB drive (with nothing else) that is formatted in FAT32, which is what they usually come in from the manufacturer. Enter into Qflash in BIOS with the USB installed into a 2.0 port. Follow the directions to load the BIOS. The USB will show up as a HDD. Choose it and you should see the three files or sometimes the correct one only shows up. Don't worry about choosing the wrong file. You will get a message saying that it cannot be loaded. If that happens try another of the three files till you get the right one. After BIOS update, load optimized defaults and set up anything else that needs to be set up in the BIOS."
If only the board would POST and get into the BIOS I could update then
tongue.gif
Until I get the A4, I'm just stuck with a black screen :/

At least I'll have this chip, just in case anyone else needs to borrow it for theirs!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Unfortunately getting this older A4 hasn't help me one bit....

I'm still getting no POST, and just a black screen. Beginning to think the board is a DOA or running the Kaveri in it before the BIOS updated has screwed it up. Either way I'm not too happy about all this. Trying to talk with Newegg and Gigabyte to get this resolved. Wish me luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opty165 View Post

Unfortunately getting this older A4 hasn't help me one bit....

I'm still getting no POST, and just a black screen. Beginning to think the board is a DOA or running the Kaveri in it before the BIOS updated has screwed it up. Either way I'm not too happy about all this. Trying to talk with Newegg and Gigabyte to get this resolved. Wish me luck!
Damn that sucks man! I'm sorry to hear this. Maybe try the ASROCK?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opty165 View Post

Doing an RMA, so we'll see how that goes I guess. I really like all the features of the Gigabyte over the Asrock.
I agree about the Gigabyte over Asrock in general I'm just wondering if the higher support ram speed on the Asrock if they would benefit you more with the GPU side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I have the same problem, i put this pc together today

CM130 elite
H60 water cooler
4 gig 1600 corsair ram
430 watt cooler master psu
kaveri 7850k
120g kingston ssd

When i boot up i get a black screen, no beeps, the fans spin up and the power led is on but thats it, i have noticed my mouse lights up for a fraction of a second and then dies, the reset button on the case does not work either (if i hold reset the h60 fan increases in speed) . I tried another working psu on the board and nothing changed. I have tried to boot the board with no Peripherals, no ram, no ssd, no usb,
no audio to no avail. I have also tried resetting the CMOS by disconnecting the battery, This is most upsetting has anyone got any ideas, could it be a dead motherboard or apu or a bios issue, most annoyed
mad.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stebod View Post

I have the same problem, i put this pc together today

CM130 elite
H60 water cooler
4 gig 1600 corsair ram
430 watt cooler master psu
kaveri 7850k
120g kingston ssd

When i boot up i get a black screen, no beeps, the fans spin up and the power led is on but thats it, i have noticed my mouse lights up for a fraction of a second and then dies, the reset button on the case does not work either (if i hold reset the h60 fan increases in speed) . I tried another working psu on the board and nothing changed. I have tried to boot the board with no Peripherals, no ram, no ssd, no usb,
no audio to no avail. I have also tried resetting the CMOS by disconnecting the battery, This is most upsetting has anyone got any ideas, could it be a dead motherboard or apu or a bios issue, most annoyed
mad.gif
Guessing you have the gigabyte board too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by stebod View Post

I have the same problem, i put this pc together today

CM130 elite
H60 water cooler
4 gig 1600 corsair ram
430 watt cooler master psu
kaveri 7850k
120g kingston ssd

When i boot up i get a black screen, no beeps, the fans spin up and the power led is on but thats it, i have noticed my mouse lights up for a fraction of a second and then dies, the reset button on the case does not work either (if i hold reset the h60 fan increases in speed) . I tried another working psu on the board and nothing changed. I have tried to boot the board with no Peripherals, no ram, no ssd, no usb,
no audio to no avail. I have also tried resetting the CMOS by disconnecting the battery, This is most upsetting has anyone got any ideas, could it be a dead motherboard or apu or a bios issue, most annoyed
mad.gif
I hate to say this under the circumstances, but I'm almost relieved to see someone with the same issue as me lol. I just don't think it's a dead bored. It's gotta be the BIOS. However the A4 4000 still produces the same results. I'm wondering if even after the RMA I'll have the same issue with a new board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI FM2+ Motherboard

I really dont know what to do, rma the board or the chip or both, kaveri is so new there is no other posts i can find online about this board or this problem, tommorrow i will strip the board from the case to see if its an electric short from the motherboard to the case, other than that im out of ideas, if i can make some headway i will post on this forum, one thing i could do with knowing, i am relying on the speakers from the audio jack on the rear io shields for any beeps, i have an internal 4 pin speaker that came with the case but havent a clue where it plugs into the motherboard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by stebod View Post

Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI FM2+ Motherboard

I really dont know what to do, rma the board or the chip or both, kaveri is so new there is no other posts i can find online about this board or this problem, tommorrow i will strip the board from the case to see if its an electric short from the motherboard to the case, other than that im out of ideas, if i can make some headway i will post on this forum, one thing i could do with knowing, i am relying on the speakers from the audio jack on the rear io shields for any beeps, i have an internal 4 pin speaker that came with the case but havent a clue where it plugs into the motherboard
I thought just like you that it could be a short. Right now I'm running it on my desk without a case and it still doesn't boot. This is with the A4 in it now. There are no pins for a speaker on the board. I already checked :/

Please do keep us updated!
 
21 - 40 of 146 Posts
Top