Overclock.net banner

41 - 60 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ok, so I got into the BIOS finally! I've done so many different things to trouble shoot, so I'm not exactly sure what did the trick but I'll go over it now.

1. Removed the mini pcie wireless card
2 used the bottom most HDMI port to output to a regular computer monitor NOT A TV
3. Cleared the BIOS by bridging the clear cmos pins on the motherboard and powering up for a few seconds.
4. Used a USB keyboard plugged into the first USB port above the PS/2 port.
5. Install only 1 of my 2 ram sticks.

I think the biggest thing was 2 & 3, maybe 4. I could not for the life of me get any output off of any video port on my Vizio 32in TV. It would detect that there was a signal, but nothing was shown. I did power the board up once with no video cables plugged in and waited about 2 mins before plugging in the HDMI. The screen then detected a signal, and I noticed that the aspect ratio of "something" on the screen changed.

So I figured I was getting closer. I then plugged the HDMI directly into my Asus 24in that my desktop uses. Once I hit the power button, I saw the UEFI screen that says the BIOS has been reset and would like for me to load setup default! Yay!!! However I believe that clearing the CMOS with the on board pins bridged, as well as pulling the battery helped too.

The biggest thing here is that I was still using the A4 4000 through the whole process. I honestly was too afraid to pull the A4 out after seeing the BIOS screen just to test to see if the 7850K gave the same results. I immediately updated the BIOS to version F2 using a FAT32 DOS bootable USB drive. Now the 7850K should be properly supported! I may or may not continue the build tonight. This whole thing has given me a sizable headache lol. I will still be uploading Hi-res photo''s during the build process.

@stebod I really hope the above steps will help you get your board going. I'll definitely help you out anyway I can. If it comes down to it, you're definitely more then welcome to take this A4 off my hands to get things sorted out. PM me or keep us posted here in the thread!

EDIT: Just updated to the F3 BIOS which is the latest. My Gskill snipers are detected at lower then what they are, but a quick change in the BIOS for it to use the XMP profile has them running at 2400mhz now

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey opty im glad you got your system to work, i have followed your instructions but the problem persists, i think it may of worked for you because of the A4 4000. Im going to rma the board and ask them to send me a board with an updated driver. If the problem is the motherboard does not recognize the cpu then everybody with this setup would surly have the same problem which is perplexing, have you heard of anybody with this setup who has had no problems ? i will keep you updated to any progress i make and thanks for the A4 offer i may need to take you up on that

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by stebod View Post

hey opty im glad you got your system to work, i have followed your instructions but the problem persists, i think it may of worked for you because of the A4 4000. Im going to rma the board and ask them to send me a board with an updated driver. If the problem is the motherboard does not recognize the cpu then everybody with this setup would surly have the same problem which is perplexing, have you heard of anybody with this setup who has had no problems ? i will keep you updated to any progress i make and thanks for the A4 offer i may need to take you up on that
Yea I'm guessing it really is the A4. I just don't know why it was still giving me issue just as the 7850K was. I see that newegg is out of stock of the board right now, so maybe the next batch has the updated BIOS? I also saw a couple other people left some reviews about our same issue. I'm glad i get to cancel my RMA now though. I was going to go crazy if I had to wait another week to start this build!

But definitely, the offer stands if you need the A4. Just shoot me a message. We should just make this the "community A4" chip to pass around to all those affected
tongue.gif

·
Registered
6 Posts
cheers opty, i have sent the company a write snotty email about it, i read another article today but cant find the the link saying to keep hold of your richland or trinity cpus for the bios update. When you dropped in the A4 chip did you get the same black screen or did it post ? iv been really pissed about this and im sure lots more people will be on this forum moaning a bucketfull about it. I wonder if the As rock board had the same issue

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
gigabytes fm2 board has given me headaches with ram, stable oc, uefi booting .. just about it all. Wish i had gone with Asus
frown.gif

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Dat Case.....
drool.gif

Gratz on getting it to boot, I'm looking at doing a Kaveri ITX build next week. Hopefully by then Newegg has a new stock of Gigabyte boards with newer Bios. Might have to get me one of those cases though haha.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by stebod View Post

cheers opty, i have sent the company a write snotty email about it, i read another article today but cant find the the link saying to keep hold of your richland or trinity cpus for the bios update. When you dropped in the A4 chip did you get the same black screen or did it post ? iv been really pissed about this and im sure lots more people will be on this forum moaning a bucketfull about it. I wonder if the As rock board had the same issue
i did continue to get the black screen upon putting in the A4. But I think it's because I kept hooking it up to my Vizio TV. The board is booting fine now, but I just tried it on my TV again, and the UEFI BIOS doesn't seem to like that too much. It must not have support for w/e weird resolution it's using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

gigabytes fm2 board has given me headaches with ram, stable oc, uefi booting .. just about it all. Wish i had gone with Asus
frown.gif
Man I wish Asus had a nice ITX FM2+ board. They have always been my go-to board for everything.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigm View Post

Dat Case.....
drool.gif

Gratz on getting it to boot, I'm looking at doing a Kaveri ITX build next week. Hopefully by then Newegg has a new stock of Gigabyte boards with newer Bios. Might have to get me one of those cases though haha.
The case is great! but I can tell that I'm going to have issue with cooling. Running this 2400mhz ram at full speed is definitely heating up the chip a lot. I'm going to back it down to 2133 and see if that helps. The Zalman cooler I got is definitely not going to work for it though. Maybe for the 7700 or 7600, but not the 95watt 7850K. So if anyway wants it PM me
tongue.gif

I think i'm going to look into the Scythe Kozuti or Noctua NH-L12, but I have a suspicion that I may have to underclock/undervolt a little bit.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opty165 View Post

Man I wish Asus had a nice ITX FM2+ board. They have always been my go-to board for everything.
i have matx, went with the board as its a server/htpc the 8 .. yes 8 sata 6g ports are great for storage. Then i bought a psu with 6 sata
doh.gif

build derp at its finest. am using adapters though and they work fine.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:

The case is great! but I can tell that I'm going to have issue with cooling. Running this 2400mhz ram at full speed is definitely heating up the chip a lot. I'm going to back it down to 2133 and see if that helps. The Zalman cooler I got is definitely not going to work for it though. Maybe for the 7700 or 7600, but not the 95watt 7850K. So if anyway wants it PM me
tongue.gif

I think i'm going to look into the Scythe Kozuti or Noctua NH-L12, but I have a suspicion that I may have to underclock/undervolt a little bit.
I'm looking at the Noctua NH-L9a, but according to Noctua you need to use low profile RAM with the Gigabyte board...sigh why must things be so difficult
tongue.gif
Probably will end up with the NH-L9a and the ASRock ITX just so I can get that 2400 RAM

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigm View Post

I'm looking at the Noctua NH-L9a, but according to Noctua you need to use low profile RAM with the Gigabyte board...sigh why must things be so difficult
tongue.gif
Probably will end up with the NH-L9a and the ASRock ITX just so I can get that 2400 RAM
I think you should be ok. According to this image

Also they are using it here

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Just an early morning update since sleep seems to be eluding me while playing with this whole setup! Also updated OP with some new photo's from the 16th and today.

Obviously I've had to make some changes to my original plans for this build. I guess I was underestimating the heat this chip would put out. The Zalman CNPS2X is just no match for it. Granted it was rated for 65watt chips, I had my hopes since i saw a couple others using them with 5800K's & 6800K's. I might revisit testing it with an additional 120mm fan on top of it. Currently I have a spare Scythe Shuriken which is handling the heat a little better, but still seems too hot. Not to mention the Shuriken is way to tall for the Wesena case, so this is only a temporary solution. I'm leaning towards the Scythe Kozuti or Noctua nh-l9a.

The Kozuti is actually the only one out of the two that is better suited to run a 95w chip. The Noctua unfortunately is only rated for 65w max. Perhaps with a case fan bringing in additional air it could work. In my testing thus far, I think I figured out the max thermal limit of the 7850K APU! I believe thermal shutdown will occur somewhere in the 80c range, but the chip it's self will thermal throttle at around 75-77c and won't go above 3ghz. Surprisingly this doesn't seem to affect game play and benchmarks too awful much. I'm using the AMD overdrive application to monitor temps, since no other application I've tried can accurately read them. According to Overdrive the "Thermal Margin" is at 7c when the chip is at a max of 75. This is how I got my previous thermal shutdown limit of 80+. At idle the "Thermal Margin" is in the 50c range. Definitely a weird way of displaying temps, but it works for me!

The biggest hurdle thus far has definitely been the motherboard compatibility issue. Everything has been running fine since getting the BIOS updated, but the only thing still not running at full spec is my 2400mhz Gskill RAM. I've had to lower it back down to 2133mhz to avoid instability. The BIOS allows me to set the XMP profile to run at 2400, but no matter what I do I can't get them stable at that speed. I'm more then happy being at 2133 stable, but I'm contemplating returning the sticks to get the new Radeon R9 2400 AMP sticks that just came out. I'm thinking maybe the AMP profile will work better then XMP on this board. Or maybe in the end a simple BIOS update from Gigabyte could fix this whole issue. Who knows!

As an end note....I do have the iGPU overclocked to 900mhz from the original 720mhz without any voltage increase. Either way I wasn't seeing a difference in temps from stock or oc'ed. So far the little 160w picoPSU is holding up! Now just to see if it can handle an R7 240
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:

Just an early morning update since sleep seems to be eluding me while playing with this whole setup! Also updated OP with some new photo's from the 16th and today.

Obviously I've had to make some changes to my original plans for this build. I guess I was underestimating the heat this chip would put out. The Zalman CNPS2X is just no match for it. Granted it was rated for 65watt chips, I had my hopes since i saw a couple others using them with 5800K's & 6800K's. I might revisit testing it with an additional 120mm fan on top of it. Currently I have a spare Scythe Shuriken which is handling the heat a little better, but still seems too hot. Not to mention the Shuriken is way to tall for the Wesena case, so this is only a temporary solution. I'm leaning towards the Scythe Kozuti or Noctua nh-l9a.

The Kozuti is actually the only one out of the two that is better suited to run a 95w chip. The Noctua unfortunately is only rated for 65w max. Perhaps with a case fan bringing in additional air it could work. In my testing thus far, I think I figured out the max thermal limit of the 7850K APU! I believe thermal shutdown will occur somewhere in the 80c range, but the chip it's self will thermal throttle at around 75-77c and won't go above 3ghz. Surprisingly this doesn't seem to affect game play and benchmarks too awful much. I'm using the AMD overdrive application to monitor temps, since no other application I've tried can accurately read them. According to Overdrive the "Thermal Margin" is at 7c when the chip is at a max of 75. This is how I got my previous thermal shutdown limit of 80+. At idle the "Thermal Margin" is in the 50c range. Definitely a weird way of displaying temps, but it works for me!

The biggest hurdle thus far has definitely been the motherboard compatibility issue. Everything has been running fine since getting the BIOS updated, but the only thing still not running at full spec is my 2400mhz Gskill RAM. I've had to lower it back down to 2133mhz to avoid instability. The BIOS allows me to set the XMP profile to run at 2400, but no matter what I do I can't get them stable at that speed. I'm more then happy being at 2133 stable, but I'm contemplating returning the sticks to get the new Radeon R9 2400 AMP sticks that just came out. I'm thinking maybe the AMP profile will work better then XMP on this board. Or maybe in the end a simple BIOS update from Gigabyte could fix this whole issue. Who knows!

As an end note....I do have the iGPU overclocked to 900mhz from the original 720mhz without any voltage increase. Either way I wasn't seeing a difference in temps from stock or oc'ed. So far the little 160w picoPSU is holding up! Now just to see if it can handle an R7 240
thumb.gif
Awesome, I'm keeping a close eye on this build, I'm curious to see if you can solve the heat issue since I would really like to go with a Wesena case for Zaros' War Machine. Right now I'm looking at an SG07 but I want to go much more compact if I can.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I was thinking about going with the nh-l9a for a build that's practically the same except in gong with 16gb of AMDs RAM. Have you heard anything about it? I have a case fan above the CPU as well. I have been debating on weather to have the two fans pushing fresh air agensed the CPU or using it as a vent for the worm air..

41 - 60 of 146 Posts