Overclock.net banner

[Build Log] Quartz - Wanako Works 04 - Node 304, Xeon E3-1230v2, 660Ti

1889 9
So here is my latest build. I'm getting this one ready for work and will be replacing Big Noodle shown in my RigBuilder.

I wanted this to be as powerful as I could within the budget allotted to me but had to be extremely reliable and stable, so no overclocking this time, sadly. I decided to go MITX as I am running out of desk space but still has to have enough room for multiple full-size hard drives and standard cooling. This baby will also be doing 24/7 folding.

This is was my solution:

Fractal Design Node 304 - Case

ASRock Z77E-ITX - Motherboard

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2 - CPU

Crucial Ballistix 8GB - RAM
(I also got another stick of Crucial Ballistix free by purchasing the ASRock board. = 16GB of WIN!)

EVGA GTX 660Ti Superclocked+ - GPU

Crucial M500 120GB SSD - SSD

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB - HDD

Corsair H80i Water Cooler - Cooling

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 v2 - PSU
(I had this one lying around. It's my old one from when I upgraded my main rig to an AX750. Cabling will be hell, but meh, whatever.)

I've received the parts and will be posting that soon.
wheee.gif
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the stuff!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

This case is absolutely beautiful. First time I've dealt with Fractal Design. I am impressed! It's also so small and my wife thinks it's cuter than her Sugo SG01.

The ASRock board is very nice. I like it. I was surprised with the additional mSATA port at bottom of the board. The design and layout seems good, and I have no problem with it.

Here's the powerhouse. A E3-1230 v2. These things are like 3770's at 3570 prices. Extra win right there. No overclocking, but that's fine. I need stability and reliability more than GHz.

I got one stick of free with the purchase of the ASRock board and got the other one for a total of 16GB. Definitely saved me some money there.
thumb.gif

Motherboard ready to go!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Test fitting the motherboard and PSU.

I really liked the HDD mounting system on this thing. Out of the 3 bays, I can use 2 because the GPU gets in the way of the third one, but still, I can put in four 3.5" Hard drives in there and one SSD. That's GREAT for a little M-ITX case! For now though, I've only got the SSD and the 1TB WD.

Here's the brand new M500 120GB. sexy.

After playing around a little bit, I decided to stick one of the unused Molex cables in the front bezel. I tried to put in one Molex and one SATA power, but the bezel wouldn't latch on so I could only do one.

I took out the Fractal fan and put in the H80 and is ready. I've never worked with these water coolers and it looks pretty awesome The H80 is huge though. It's very sturdy, the tubes are thick and it was a pain to get it in there.

As you can probably tell, I've used copious amounts of zipties to get all the cables in place.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I put in the 660Ti and begun the hard part. Cabling.

I used whatever space I can think of to make it look as neat as possible.

Got this baby started up, and it's running beautifully. It's so quiet. Well, except the GPU, but still, it's still very quiet compared to my Onyx.

Now that the construction is finished, off to install Windows 7 Professional and get to warming this thing up... BENCHES!
devil.gif

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5Lion View Post

Great build!!!!
Node+Xeon =WIN!!!
Keep going
biggrin.gif
Thanks. I'll keep going with the benches and everything once I get it ready for work. First I have to install all my administration tools. Gotta get it ready for actual work.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got a chance to get some benchmarks done. I ran 3DMark 11 and Firestrike. Here are the results:

3DMark11:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6773023

Huge difference from when this 660Ti was in my Onyx. Even having the 2500K overclocked to 4.5GHz, the very best I could get was 8742

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4949149

Firestrike:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/583136

I think it scored quite well and another big improvement from when I ran it in my Onyx

That's all I've got for now. I might run Heaven on it later on and see how it does.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey wanako

I really like your build and the way you got around with your wiremanegement. Which is killing on thes nonmodular PSUs. (This remembers me of a good friend who basicly cut all the not needed wires of his nonmodular PSU
blinksmiley.gif
, but thats off topic thought).

lol going off topic again.

You chose your components very efficently
thumb.gif

But I would be interested in how loud this baby becomes when folding 24/7?

BTW this log should get some mor attention!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKAY View Post

Hey wanako

I really like your build and the way you got around with your wiremanegement. Which is killing on thes nonmodular PSUs. (This remembers me of a good friend who basicly cut all the not needed wires of his nonmodular PSU
blinksmiley.gif
, but thats off topic thought).

lol going off topic again.

You chose your components very efficently
thumb.gif

But I would be interested in how loud this baby becomes when folding 24/7?

BTW this log should get some mor attention!
Thanks! Actually, this little guy is not that loud at all. I have it in an office environment and it causes no complaints from coworkers while folding.

Zip ties are made of great win and are essential to any builder.
thumb.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.