Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been a fan of a powerful system that took up a small amount of space, and I was very excited about the Silverstone SG09 when I first heard about it earlier this year. Previously, Mini-ITX was basically the only way to go if you wanted a small system, but Mini-ITX represented too many compromises for me, such as only 2 DIMM slots, only 1 PCI-E slot, and much fewer motherboard options. Besides, I was extremely happy with my Asus Maximus IV GENE and did not want to switch motherboards. So, I stuck with my Lian Li PC-A05 until the SG09 was available to order.

Having finished moving my parts to the SG09, I can say that it is one of the most well-designed cases on the market today. The SG09 is similar in size to many Mini-ITX cases, and yet it can fit a Micro-ATX motherboard, large air-cooler, full-size ATX power supply, and multiple long graphics cards without issues. In addition, the case was clearly designed with wire management in mind, and it is possible to have a very neat-looking system if you spend a little bit of time with the SG09 organizing cables.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the SG09 excels in cooling potential. The power supply gets dedicated intake/exhaust vents, and the PSU airflow is totally separated from the rest of the system. The 180mm top intake fan blowing downwards cools the hard drives, VRMs, memory, motherboard, and CPU effortlessly. At full speed, the 180mm fan delivers 130 CFM of airflow to the parts which need it most. My CPU temperatures in this case were 5-10C lower than in my previous Lian-Li. GPU cooling is also excellent in the SG09, with the ability to mount 2x92mm and 1x120mm fans on the lower side panel, all of which can directly feed cool outside air to the GPUs. Even with a high-end SLI/Crossfire setup, GPU cooling is not an issue in this case.

The following pictures document the transition of my system from the Lian Li to the SG09. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

System specs are in my sig.

The first thing about the SG09 that stands out is its size. It's downright tiny!

SG09 dimensions: 220 mm (W) x 295 mm (H) x 354 mm (D), 23 liters
BitFenix Prodigy (Mini-ITX): 250 x 310 x 340mm = 26.35 liters
Silverstone TJ08-E (Micro-ATX): 210mm(W) x 374mm(H) x 385mm(D), 30.2 liters
Silverstone FT03 (Micro-ATX): 235mm(W)x487mm(H)x284mm(D), 32.5 liters
Lian-Li PC-Q08 (Mini-ITX): (W) 227mm x (H) 272mm x (D) 345mm, 21.3 liters
Lian Li PC-TU200 (Mini-ITX): (W) 220mm x (H) 320mm x (D) 360mm, 25.3 liters

So the SG09, despite being a Micro-ATX case with the ability to hold dual graphics cards, is smaller in volume than the Mini-ITX Bitfenix Prodigy and Lian Li TU-200!

Compared to a standard case, the size difference is even more striking.

Corsair 600D: 507mm x 592mm x 265mm, 79.5 liters.
Antec P280: 526 mm (H) x 231 mm (W) x 562 mm (D), 68.3 liters
Fractal Design Define R4: 232 x 464 x 523mm, 56.3 liters

So the SG09 is only about 1/4 the volume of a case like the Corsair 600D!

A very appropriate warning is printed on the top of the box. Be sure to read the manual with this case! Its layout is very different from other cases.
DSC_8910.jpg

Size comparison with my Lian Li PC-A05N, which itself was already a compact case (one of the smallest cases which can hold a standard ATX motherboard).

The SG09 is considerably smaller than the A05N (23 liters total case volume vs. about 39 for the Lian Li). The size difference is even more obvious from other angles. On the side panel of the SG09 you can see space to mount up to 3 side fans. Above those fan mounts is the exhaust vent for the power supply. The front PSU intake, top intake, and side fan intakes all have fan filters installed.
DSC_8914.jpg

Side and top covers removed. Note the large 180mm on the top.
DSC_8915.jpg

DSC_8917.jpg

Power supply installation. I am using a Seasonic X-750 which is 160mm in length and fully modular. You could fit a 180mm long power supply into this case, but it would be a bit of a squeeze. A modular PSU is highly recommended for this case!

Also note the space at the top for installing a slim, slot-loading optical drive. I chose not to install an optical drive as I almost never use one, so I will be using a USB optical drive during the one or two times a year when I need one. The SG09 is following in the footsteps of several new cases in using a slim optical drive or even completely omitting the optical drive (e.g. Silverstone FT03, Fractal Design Node).

If you do not need an optical drive, you can probably fit a couple of 2.5" hard drives or (maybe) a single 3.5" hard drive up here.

MBD10_2.jpg

Power supply installed. There is quite a bit of clearance between the back of the power supply and the side panel. Also note the 80mm fan slot below the power supply. You can mount an optional 80mm fan here for cooling graphics cards or other parts.

DSC_8920.jpg

I replaced the 120mm Silverstone Air Penetrator rear fan with a Gentle Typhoon AP-15. The SG09 comes with 1x180mm Silverstone Air Penetrator, 1x120mm Air Penetrator, and a standard 120mm Silverstone fan. The cost of these fans, if purchased separately, would total something like $35-45 depending on where you bought them from. So the SG09 represents a great value with regard to the fans you get. On the top of the rear panel you can see the speed switch to select between 700 and 1200 RPM on the top intake fan. The AP181 is also able to be controlled by your motherboard if your board has that ability on its fan headers.
DSC_8921.jpg

The inside of the case, with my motherboard installed. The case is not much larger than the Micro-ATX motherboard!
DSC_8925.jpg

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With the top fan removed, you can see the area directly underneath the top fan. On the left side is a cutout to allow airflow to reach the hard drives, which are mounted on the back side of the motherboard tray. The Silverstone FT03 mounted the hard drives in a similar manner, but offered no airflow to the HDDs, so the SG09 is an improvement in this regard.

You can also see that the 180mm top fan is perfectly positioned to blow cool air right over the memory, VRMs, and other components on the motherboard. This solves a problem with many tower-style CPU coolers, which is that they don't get much airflow to the motherboard components.

Another significant point is that with the top fan removed, assembly is incredibly simple. You no longer have to reach into tight spots to plug in various parts, like the ATX 8-pin CPU power connector. Everything is within easy reach.

DSC_8929.jpg

DSC_8932.jpg

Caviar Black installed. There is room for 2 x 3.5" hard drives on the back side of the motherboardy tray. Some cooling air from the top 180mm fan is directed to flow over the hard drives. The mounting plate for 3.5" drives is mounted to the case via rubber grommets to dampen vibrations a bit.

DSC_8934.jpg

SSD installed. There is room for 4 x 2.5" drives (hard drives or SSDs) in the back of the case.

DSC_8935.jpg

GTX 670 installed. You can see that the airflow around the CPU/RAM/motherboard VRM region is excellent due to the top 180mm intake (up to 130 CFM) and the 120mm exhaust being in close proximity to the CPU cooler, RAM, and VRM heatsinks.

DSC_8941.jpg

Assembly complete.
DSC_8946.jpg

Back side. Note that this picture was taken before I had finished the cable management. It is definitely possible to install all 6 drives in the back and still have room to organize cables. There is ample space behind the PSU and motherboard tray for hiding cables.
DSC_8947.jpg

Lower side cover installed. This cover comes with slots to mount 2 x80 or 92mm fans and 1x 120mm fan. All 3 have fan filters over them. If you are running a high-end SLI or Crossfire setup, installing fans in these slots will really improve your GPU cooling potential. This is one reason why the SG09 is much better in terms of cooling compared to Silverstone's other micro-ATX cases, the TJ08-E, PS07, and FT03.

DSC_8948.jpg

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I almost picked up this case - looks complicated so I went w/ a PS07 (Tejmin w/ cheaper front panel 2 x 120mm vs 1 x 180mm)

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3T4LM4N222 View Post

I almost picked up this case - looks complicated so I went w/ a PS07 (Tejmin w/ cheaper front panel 2 x 120mm vs 1 x 180mm)
It may look complicated at first glance, but once you do a bit of research on it you start to see that a lot of the design elements in the SG09 are actually quite clever. I almost went with a PS07/TJ08-E, but in the end I realized that this case offered better cooling potential while being 25% smaller. The PS07 and TJ08-E are also good cases though.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post

This case is interesting to me, so I'm gonna follow the build log.
It's a very interesting case indeed, especially for air cooling. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was thinking of doing a very similar build but was not sure of what PSU to use. Have you had any trouble with your PSU power cable interfering with the side mounted 120mm fan? I was thinking of replacing the included PSU extension cable with one that had a 90 degree bend in the other direction. Not sure if that is possible or even necessary.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurodrive View Post

I was thinking of doing a very similar build but was not sure of what PSU to use. Have you had any trouble with your PSU power cable interfering with the side mounted 120mm fan? I was thinking of replacing the included PSU extension cable with one that had a 90 degree bend in the other direction. Not sure if that is possible or even necessary.
Yes, I removed the side 120mm fan because the PSU power cable interferes with it. I also didn't particularly have a huge need for a side intake fan since the GTX 670 is a relatively cool-running card and the side of the SG09 is already vented quite well. I have a Seasonic X750.

The X-750 is on the left. If your PSU has a power plug which looks like the PSU on the right, then you won't have any issues with the SG09's power cable. If you have a PSU like mine, you can either open it up and flip the direction of the power plug (which some people have done), or you can get a different power cable that goes in the other direction.

I should mention that even if the power plug interferes with the side 120mm fan, you don't need to modify anything if you just want to mount 2x80mm or 2x92mm fans in the side panel to feed the GPUs.

psu.jpg

This is how the X-750's power port looks normally (from a user on [H]):
DOw51g

Someone at [H] flipped the direction of their X-750's power port:
DSC03415.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for the advice. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of your build. I just love how space efficient this case is.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurodrive View Post

Thank you for the advice. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of your build. I just love how space efficient this case is.
Will get the rest of the pictures up soon. Just too busy lately to edit and upload the rest of them.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverClocker55 View Post

Can you show any back cable management pictures? Also can it fit an H60 push/pull?
Yes and yes. It can fit H70/H80 push pull no problem. H60 is even smaller so it will be fine.

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
Would it fit a GTX 680? What are its cooling options and a full sized corsair psu (HX 850) would fit? Was it hard to get he cables out of the way?

Sorry for so many questions
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Would it fit a GTX 680? What are its cooling options and a full sized corsair psu (HX 850) would fit? Was it hard to get he cables out of the way?

Sorry for so many questions
biggrin.gif
A GTX 680 is no problem at all. Even a 690 would fit fine.

Cooling options: you can fit basically any heatsink you want, including the huge dual-towers like the Noctua D14. See my first post for more details about the cooling setup.

Wire management takes a bit of work but the case is designed with wire management in mind, so you will be able to hide cables nicely.

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996gt2 View Post

Cooling options: you can fit basically any heatsink you want, including the huge dual-towers like the Noctua D14. See my first post for more details about the cooling setup.
Wire management takes a bit of work but the case is designed with wire management in mind, so you will be able to hide cables nicely.
Thanks! And I know it can fit an h60 but how about gpu cooling?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks! And I know it can fit an h60 but how about gpu cooling?
Just about anything that fits on your card will fit in this case. The SG09 can fit graphics cards up to 13.3 inches long, and that's longer than even very big coolers like the Accelero Xtreme. The SG09 also has enough width to fit coolers that extend way beyond the side of the graphics card.

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
Quote:

Just about anything that fits on your card will fit in this case. The SG09 can fit graphics cards up to 13.3 inches long, and that's longer than even very big coolers like the Accelero Xtreme. The SG09 also has enough width to fit coolers that extend way beyond the side of the graphics card.
i MEANT LIKE intake fan wise

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Quote:

i MEANT LIKE intake fan wise
Intake fan for the GPU? I mentioned the side intake fan sizes in the original post. Or were you referring to something that wasn't mentioned in my original post?

1 - 20 of 101 Posts