Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been building computers for a few years, on this build I decided to go all out. I have always had various things that I always regretted after the fact on my builds, I have decided to take my time with this one and do everything as perfectly as I can with no regrets (feedback and thoughts welcome). I have spent a lot of time building the list of components and have 90% of the products currently. There are only a few items I have not decided on that I have noted below.

Hardware:

Case - Caselabs SMA8 case with black exterior and red interior. This case is hands down the best case I have ever owned. Every detail is just spot on. Mod-One case feet.
CPU - 7980XE - I purchased this from Silicon Lottery. I have no issues delidding, and have done so in the past on the 7980XE, but I wanted a promise of getting a good chip so I purchased the 4.5ghz bin from them (no longer available), which at the time was poosted was less than 3% of the processors that they had tested.
Mobo - I debated a lot between the Asus Rampage VI Apex and Extreme. In the end I have decided to go with the Apex do to its slightly better overclocking ability and having no valid reason to ever need 128GB of Ram.
Ram - I have a few options here, right now I am going with the Gskill TridentZ RGB 32 GB 4000 mhz cl17 ram. I have a pretty good bin currently of the Gskill RGB 64 gb 3200mhz cl14 ram I may end up using instead. I have a decent 32 GB 3200 cl14 bin as well. We will just see which performs the best.
Hard drives - I don't need a lot of data storage and dont really have a need for backup so I went with the Samsung 960 Pro 1T NVME and 2x Samsung 850 Evo 2T SSD
Power Supply - EVGA 1600 T2, best power supply our there IMO
GPU - 2x Titan Xp - depending on the time it takes me to do this build I hopefully will have something new from Nvidia at the end of this build. I and going to shunt mod these to eek out that extra couple percent.

Water Cooling:

Temp Control - I am using an Aquaero 6XT - this software does it all, I love it and only know about 1% of what it can do.
Pumps - 2x Aquacomputing D5 pumps with Aquabus
Flow/temp monitor - 2x Aquacomputing USB flow sensors with temp in them.
Resevoirs - Singularity Computers 250 mm with D5 pump attachment in black, mount to match
Radiators - All EK, one of each of the CE 560, CE 280, XE 480, and debating on a SE 280 in the front of the case (haven't decided yet).
Fans - ML series from Corsair in black (4 - 120mm and 9 - 140mm). I purchased the Red corners to accent them a bit. I feel like the lighted fans are just a bit much.
ModmyToys fan splitters to organize the fans, black carbon fiber fan stickers to clean up the logos.
Blocks - 2 EKWB 1080 Ti GPU blocks with black backplate, and Bitspower X299 Apex Monoblock - I may go with the Phanteks 1080 Ti block but HATE the fact that you have to use the stock backplate. I also considered the Bitspower 1080 Ti block, but has the green Nvidia logo on the backplate. If anyone where to find different backplates for the Bitspower WBV1080TIFE-H-BRGB please let me know, I have searched everywhere.
Fittings - All Bitspower fittings, I just love the feel and look of them (except they are a little logo happy). I will do these in either Matte Black or Black Chrome, I haven't decided yet. I am leaning to Black chrome, but worried about all the different shades of black in the build. Will wait to see how it looks when more cabling and things get done.
Coolant - Coolant will be all Mayhem's Pastel. I am going with light and dark grey most likely, I also have red and black, again we will see how it looks.

Other Components:

Cables - All custom wiring - I am doing it all myself on every cable in the build. Big thanks to Singularity Computers on this. All the sleeving is MDPC-X.
Darkside Computing RGB strips
Aquacomputing Fabwerks RGB lighting control

Case Mods:

A few simple ones on this. I will be removing the drive trays from the back of the SMA8 and cutting a opening behind the screw in panel on the front where the Resevoirs mount and running all the inlets and outlets through the back to clean up the build (much like how Singularity Computers does it). I will also be mounting the Fabwerks and the hard drives on the back of the motherboard removable tray. There will also be a few holes drilled.

Well that is about it, I have attached a few pictures of my progress so far. 3 of the Rads have the cabling done and finished and the case is built. I hope to do some of the case mods this weeking and put the case back together. Appreciate any feedback and hope you enjoy as much as I do. A lot of sweat into it already and only just started.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Progress

Have the back of the case modded for the hard drives and Fabwerks. The rest of the case is prepped for when the bracket for the reservoirs come. Front fans started, tested all the fans this weekend everything working well, I think I have one fan that is bad, makes a pretty audible noise so I will be replacing that one. I decided not to go with the front radiator, it just keeps things cleaner. Also decided to go with the matte black bistpower fittings, it seems to not clash with the build, I really like the black chrome ones, but it just didnt fit well. I also decided to go with the EK blocks on the graphics cards, they are just so clean, I couldnt justify changing them. I got them shunt modded and all ready to go this weekend.

Hopefully this next weekend I can drill some holes and mount the reservoirs and finish the front fans.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

I got the front panel all situated. Next step this weekend is to mount the reservoirs, I just found out today that my mount wont ship till May 12th, so that is a bummer. I might use the single mounts I have instead, will just have to see the space and layout, if not I will work on some of the misc. cabling.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Reservoirs are all ready to go, I am missing the dual bracket from Singularity computers, but have the singles, which will be harder, but I will be able to space them out a little better to fill the space, all the tubing will be on the back side. Figured out there are 18 holes to drill and need them all to be exact. Will prob get a piece of sheet metal from Home Depot or something to lay them out and use as a template so I don't mess anything up.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

Spent a lot of time getting all the holes correct for the Singularity Res's. Next up on the list for this upcoming weekend is working on all the tubing. Should be able to get that all done this weekend, and maybe start on the cables. Things left on my list to do:

Cables - Mobo, 2x CPU, 4x Graphics cards, all the power to the peripherals etc, and all the wiring for the Aquaero. Really the only wiring that is done is the fans to the fan hubs.
Tubing - Tubing for both loops
LED's - LED mounting and wiring
Aquabus Hub Mount - haven't decided where to mount this yet, its the only case mod I have left.

Really happy with how everything has turned out so far, been a lot of hours in already, easily 40+.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Have a few more cables done. Things left to do:

Aquabus cables
Finish tubing for GPU's at the bottom
USB cable from Aquaero to mobo
Power Cables for hard drives and Aquaero
Front panel Cables - the USB 3.0 is going to be a ***** not sure what I am going to do with it.
Sata Data Cables
RGB cables in main part of case, also going to remove or not use the Fabwerks and control everything with Aurasync
Pressure test, then fill loops

Hope to have enough free time this weekend to finish everything, and kick her on for the first time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These are stock yes. They would lightly hold a single wire, but they tightly hold doubles like the PCIE, CPU and Mobo. They work pretty well, they get pretty tight, on the Mobo one I cant screw them all the way down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

Have started filling and leak testing, one loop down, will hopefully be able to fill the other up tonight and check to make sure all is good in the morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

Well got both loops leak tested and up and running (I will top them off when I am sure I don't have to drain them again). Kicked her on for a quick test and got into bios so all seems well so far.

Here is what I have left to do:

1. Install windows and Aquasuite software.
2. Connect both pumps and flow sensors via USB then switch them over to the Aquabus.
3. Drain both loops, remove all USB cables after verifying the all devices are communicating properly over Aquabus
4. Put everything back together.
5. Install RGB strips in the case.

At least I about have a working computer after Windows updates etc hopefully this weekend will have everything wrapped up.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Update

So here how things stand, everything is up and running. Still have a few things left to do.

1. Top off the res's m- will prob add a little black pastel to both colors, they are a little light the way they are now.
2. RGB strips in case - still debating on what to do here.
3. Have one bad fan that prob has a loose connection that runs at 100% all the time.
4. Ambient temp sensor. Still trying to figure out where best to mount.
5. Some tweaking in Aquasuite, getting everything tuned in where I want it, right now i went with some pretty generic settings to get by.
6. Set up the Raid array for the two 850's - also have a 960 NVME Pro that I replaced with a 970 that I may add in.
7. Have some case stickers to stick on that I will find a clean home for, maybe on the backside.

Other than that, pretty happy with how this has turned out so far. Windows is up and running 100% updated. Bios is updated. XMP on the 4000 cl17 ram worked great and was able to keep the overclock on the CPU at silicon lotteries 1.125 @ 4.5ghz and all seems stable after an hour of AIDA64. Max temps were in the 75-80 range after and hour and that is with the fan curves on Aquasuite wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So here is where things stand, no new pictures I should have some final ones this weekend when I get everything done.

Items left to do:

1. Drain Light Gray color and replace (I am thinking black or Red or maybe Dark Grey in both tubes?). If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions let me know.
2. I am replacing the Light Gray on the cable sleeving with Carbon Red, its a mix of black and red.
3. Tune in the Aquaero screens that display, have the curves and everything set up just needs the readouts done correctly.
4. RGB strips in the case. I am out of Sata/Molex connections on my power supply, so I will prob just use the mobo connection for two strips in the case to light everything up better. Otherwise I am going to have to combine and re-cable things, we will see how that all goes.

Computer is up and working 100% functionally, the only thing I am disappointed with at this point is the EVGA 1600 T2 is a noisy SOB. I am seriously debating about replacing it with the Corsair, I think it is functioning as intended its just a big and loud fan compared to the rest of the system.

TimeSpy and Firestrike results so far (for 2 GPU systems):

TimeSpy Extreme - 9th
TimeSpy - 11th
FS Ultra - 8th
FS Extreme - 4th
FS - 12th

Still some room for improvement here, my Memory timings are what is holding me back, I haven't tweaked beyond the XMP profile, should be able to bump my CPU some and get a couple extra places.

Able to run all @ 5ghz 1.35v obviously not 24/7 usage
24/7 overclock is 4.6ghz @ 1.137 stable on Aida64 for 1 hour - it will stay stable on Prime95 but the heat gets in the 95-100C range, but that is such an unrealistic workload.

More pictures this weekend hopefully and will have this thing about done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update

Few more pictures, I changed out the coolant color, I like it a lot better even tho the red doesnt match 100%. Should have the cable sleeving this week to change out the sleeving on the light grey this weekend, along with the RGB strips.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts