Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is to document and also for some help with my water cooling, this is my 1st water cooled build, although I planned one a long time ago I never got around to it.

I was considering a 343B but I dont think I actually need it or have the budget to make good use of it.

I have decided on the PC-V2120 which I think is perfect for my goal and what I have to work with around my desk.

I am really after the quietest water pump(s) possible.

I am only considering cooling the CPU and GPU, VRM.

Explanation of choices

The planned Hardware:

SSDx2 Intel 520 240GB
Tower Lian Li PC-V2120
CPU 3770k bare die.
Mobo P8Z77-V DELUXE
RAM 2x4GB Dominator GT
Sound Xonar Essence ST using (PCIE to PCI adapter)
PSU Seasonic XP-1000
GFX: Zotac GTX 670
HDDs 3TB x4 Raid10
aquaero 5 LT USB fan and pump controller

Cooling:

Res: Aquabox professional Reservoir
Pump: Aquastream XT Ultra Pump x2
SR1 360, 120, 140

CPU Block: EK-Supreme HF - Acetal+EN (Nickel)
GPU EK-FC680 GTX - Acetal+EN (Nickel)

Tygon 2001!!
Swiftech Lok-seal compression fittings.

Using the ST on the PCI-e board

Overclocking the RAM

Delidding the CPU

HDD Silencing

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks but this machine will never render, compile and encode yes but no fancy stuff for that 16GB lol, its incase I wanna ramdrive a game.

Hmm this pump in the res in the rad is intriguing. Is it worth it??

I was thinking 2xD5 in the res and a blackice.

I have concerns about having the pump on the outside and only 1 of them due to noise.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Plain and regular distilled water is a popular favorite as far as coolant goes. It helps a lot to have biocide such as PT Nuke or a silver kill coil, however.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaFi0s0 View Post

Thanks, so no 10% antifreeze anymore?
I haven't heard of very many people using antifreeze lately. It does work as a biocide but could affect the metals in your loop.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I've been using 50/50 auto antifreeze mix since 2006 with copper/aluminum loops. I've never had an issue, no algae, no corrosion, nothing. I still completely drain and refill once a year though.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it meant it would lower dB it would be nice but my 1st WC build so I am sure I will struggle enough as it is and the budget is maxed with what I have above, I got $100 to squeeze in shipping(to Aus), tubing and other small peices lol. One of the reasons I went the LT fan controller instead of XT and only 4HDDs instead of 6 or 8. But I am pleased I managed to fit some nice things in like the sound and gfx card, I dont think I have ever purchased a top of the market computer part before

Tomorrow or so I will document my reasons for the choices as I think it will help some people with theirs.

Reading system builds means nothing to me unless I know why that person made the choices.

If I saw this build last week from someone else I would of overlooked it as completely random oh-perty-box kind of purchases.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazarada View Post

wheres the storage part? 10tb != monster storage
The original plan was to have 8-10 HDDs in a 343B or even in a seperate tower, but as soon as I realised 4x3TBs came to $800 (the raid10 array is the most expensive item btw if that means anything) I realised I would be wasting the budget. So instead the foundation of the computer at heart is based primarily on the ability to add more 3TBs later, which makes the most sense for me because it wont be until next year that I would possibly fill up the 6TB.

My computers always get nicknames and they are the sort of names that just stick. sorry to disappoint!
smile.gif

·
Registered
648 Posts
Storage monster with a GF680? no no no it can't be..

What you really want is a LSI Megaraid or Adaptec to Raid 5 with SSD caching, Windows Server 8, Gigabit switch and build another rig just for the GF680... You know you want to !!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As I am wanting to keep fan RPM between 600-1000 I have updated the loop with an addition of a 120 rad (going at the back outside) incase I cant fit push/pull to the 360, I think in the worst case I am hoping I will be able to mount fans (which will be exhuast) to outside the tower at the top aswell.

This aquastream pump is the equiv to a D5 at setting 4, should this be enough for the loop with the 2 rads and OCd?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As in not raid 0 which would be parallel, gonna put them in sequential, just an analogy.

I am actually hoping by the time I build this thing the 690 will be out and the 680 might be cheaper, not a big fan of dual GPUs especially because I only run 1080, I instead just upgrade gfx as needed.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts