Overclock.net banner

541 - 560 of 562 Posts

·
WaterCooler & Overclocker
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #541 (Edited)
Barefoot ... how many pumps do you have driving your loop, how many radiators and coolers in that loop? What is your flow rate?

Hey ruffhi, I did do some flow testing of the loop after it was completely finished, and I of course took notes, but after your question I realized that that information never made it into any of the build log posts. So here it is now:

Devastator Flow Rate Testing

The system is one big loop with two Aquacomputer D5 PWM pumps in series. There are six radiators in total, four Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 560mm in the top and bottom, and two Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 280mm in front. Even though there are six radiators, these are low restriction radiators.

There are also seven water blocks, but they are all low restriction waterblocks, with the two video card waterblocks in parallel and the two hard disk drive waterblocks also in parallel.

I tested the pumps with various speeds between 40% and 100% to test the flow rates and what it did to loop temperatures. There were two specific speeds where the pumps would make a slight hum noise. At 70% pump speed there was a slight hum, and an even louder hum at 50% power. The rest of the speeds you really could not hear the pumps, and certainly would never hear them over the fan noise.

In this testing I was loading the system with the Real Bench stress test. This really puts just about the max load on the system that you can. This was done with an ambient temperature of 73° F, with the fans all set to 700 RPM and my 4.8 GHz daily overclock profile on the CPU with a 1.25 vcore.

Starting at 40% and going up 10% at a time all the way to 100% and then one final test back at 40% again. It is interesting how the air/water deltas are slightly better with 40% power and less flow rate.

This testing was done April 14, 2019 and shortly after this the maximum flow rate at 100% pump speed settled in at 1.1 GPM which is the same flow rate I’m getting as I write this, and I just now rechecked the flow rate at 40% power and it is .8 GPM.

I could run the pumps at a lower speed just fine, but since they are no louder running at 100% and the loop temperatures really did not vary too much with the pumps set to lower speeds, I would prefer to have a higher flow rate so I just leave the pumps set at 100% all the time.

As to the air/water deltas, the temperatures you see in the chart above are the hottest I’ve ever seen. I did get slightly better air/water deltas when the build was still in my work shop due to better air flow all around the case.

Now that it is in my office under the desk the air/water delta once the system is fully warmed up is usually around 3°C. It will go up a little bit more when gaming, but even this last summer when my office was almost 90°F the highest I ever saw the air/water delta get to was 4.5°C :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Hey ruffhi, I did do some flow testing of the loop after it was completely finished, and I of course took notes, but after your question I realized that that information never made it into any of the build log posts.

I could run the pumps at a lower speed just fine, but since they are no louder running at 100% and the loop temperatures really did not vary too much with the pumps set to lower speeds, I would prefer to have a higher flow rate so I just leave the pumps set at 100% all the time.
Those are excellent results. I have noticed the pump noise change with different RPMs too ... and you can dial it up / down to you find a sweet spot re noise.

Re your flow rates, that is radically different from what I am seeing on my PC. My cooling loop ...

• 2 x radiators (Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 120.3 Multiport Satin White Radiator - white with white fins)
  • 2 x pumps (Aquacomputer D5 Pump Core | PWM Equipped)
  • 1 x pump header (EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 Serial)
  • 1 x GPU block (Watercool HEATKILLER® IV for GTX 1080 - ACETAL Ni)
  • 1 x CPU block (Watercool HEATKILLER® IV Pro (Copper AN))
I have gone back and forth with my loop. I started with quite a few hard 90º turns but swapped them out for the triple rotary snakes.

I had one run that I have been thinking about ... I just swapped it from soft plastic to a complete run of fittings.

Flow has always been pretty horrible. At 100%, (pre fitting run), I could get 1.2 GPM. I was running it at about 75% and getting a flow rate of 0.95 GPM. After swapping to the full fitting run, flow has dropped to 0.9 GPM at 100%. I am currently getting 0.65 GPM at 80%.

I thought that one of my pumps might be bad so I installed a on/off switch on each pump. I can either run it with both pumps or turn the left or right pump off. Turning off one pump (either one), cuts the flow rate to under 0.4 GPM. Conclusion - each pump is as good as the other one.

My flow meter (Aquacomputer flow rate sensor "high flow USB" G1/4) could be off? I have ordered a different flow, Barrowch that is in the mail.

I am going to swap back to air and test each component re flow restriction.

·
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #543 (Edited)
Those are excellent results. I have noticed the pump noise change with different RPMs too ... and you can dial it up / down to you find a sweet spot re noise.

Re your flow rates, that is radically different from what I am seeing on my PC. My cooling loop ...

• 2 x radiators (Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 120.3 Multiport Satin White Radiator - white with white fins)
  • 2 x pumps (Aquacomputer D5 Pump Core | PWM Equipped)
  • 1 x pump header (EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 Serial)
  • 1 x GPU block (Watercool HEATKILLER® IV for GTX 1080 - ACETAL Ni)
  • 1 x CPU block (Watercool HEATKILLER® IV Pro (Copper AN))
I have gone back and forth with my loop. I started with quite a few hard 90º turns but swapped them out for the triple rotary snakes.

I had one run that I have been thinking about ... I just swapped it from soft plastic to a complete run of fittings.

Flow has always been pretty horrible. At 100%, (pre fitting run), I could get 1.2 GPM. I was running it at about 75% and getting a flow rate of 0.95 GPM. After swapping to the full fitting run, flow has dropped to 0.9 GPM at 100%. I am currently getting 0.65 GPM at 80%.

I thought that one of my pumps might be bad so I installed a on/off switch on each pump. I can either run it with both pumps or turn the left or right pump off. Turning off one pump (either one), cuts the flow rate to under 0.4 GPM. Conclusion - each pump is as good as the other one.

My flow meter (Aquacomputer flow rate sensor "high flow USB" G1/4) could be off? I have ordered a different flow, Barrowch that is in the mail.

I am going to swap back to air and test each component re flow restriction.

I don't think switching styles of 90° fittings will make much difference at all in your flow rate. I remember awhile back now probably at least five years ago, that Martins Liquid Lab did a test with various amounts of 90° fittings in a loop to test how it affected the flow rates, and even with a lot of 90° fittings it really did not make hardly any difference at all. The last time I looked for that test I was unable to find it to reference here. I have seventeen 90° fittings in this build.

I remember reading in your build log that you have a filter installed. If it is the Aqua Computer Inline Filter, those are very restrictive as you can see in this flow test done by fast_fate https://www.overclock.net/forum/25894531-post635.html

I would try to bypass the filter or remove the filter and test your flow rate again if you have not tried that yet.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
What radiator mounts are you using for the top? I thought the case only came with 480 drop in mounts, was this changed in future versions of this case?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I remember reading in your build log that you have a filter installed. If it is the Aqua Computer Inline Filter, those are very restrictive as you can see in this flow test done by fast_fate https://www.overclock.net/forum/25894531-post635.html

I would try to bypass the filter or remove the filter and test your flow rate again if you have not tried that yet.
I took the filter out ... and then put it back in with a bypass. Still fiddling. I have actually moved my PC to a Thermaltake case (sacrilege!) and it is running on air. I couldn't believe how quiet the study is with no PC here. Under air it is about as quiet as before.

Meanwhile, my S5 is downstairs undergoing a minor update (swapping to different fans, installing BarrowCH flow meter, installing Aquacomputer SPLITTY9 active, changing 1 90º turn to low profile version, installing switches for left and right pump, etc).

I will be doing some flow tests with nothing in the loop (res + pump) and then adding 2 x radiators, CPU block, GPU block and, finally, the filter. I will do a write up about this in my thread.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,769 Posts
removing 90 degree fittings from the first few inches of your pumps' out can also drastically increase flow as well.

BP makes snake 90s that're a much less extreme bend, they help a great deal in this area. removing the hard 90s from the mouth of my mcp35x2 allowed another 100lph, no lies. from ~120 to 220.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
removing 90 degree fittings from the first few inches of your pumps' out can also drastically increase flow as well.
I have those rounded snake 90º in ... and I do have a left turn straight out of my pump. Not much I can do about that. I will have a think about what I can do re pump location.

·
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #550
What radiator mounts are you using for the top? I thought the case only came with 480 drop in mounts, was this changed in future versions of this case?
When I ordered my case it came with two radiator mounts, and there was an option of either 480 mounts or 560 mounts. I ordered my case with 560mm radiator mounts, plus two extras so I have four 560mm mounts.

The case and the mounts did require modification to fit the Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 560mm radiators however. I covered how I did that on this post Fitting and Mounting the Top 560mm Hardware Labs SR2 Radiators

I also showed how I mounted the bottom and the front radiators on separate posts.

If you have not seen it yet, Post#2 is my Build Log Index with Links which is also linked at the top of the first post.

That makes it easier to find stuff :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
When I ordered my case it came with two radiator mounts, and there was an option of either 480 mounts or 560 mounts. I ordered my case with 560mm radiator mounts, plus two extras so I have four 560mm mounts.

The case and the mounts did require modification to fit the Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 560mm radiators however. I covered how I did that on this post Fitting and Mounting the Top 560mm Hardware Labs SR2 Radiators

I also showed how I mounted the bottom and the front radiators on separate posts.

If you have not seen it yet, Post#2 is my Build Log Index with Links which is also linked at the top of the first post.

That makes it easier to find stuff :thumb:

Ah nice. I don't think they had that option for the original TH10.

Very nice build. Wish I was that handy with the mods, am very impressed with how it turned out for you.

·
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #552
Ah nice. I don't think they had that option for the original TH10.

Very nice build. Wish I was that handy with the mods, am very impressed with how it turned out for you.
Thank you :thumb:

Here's just a little tease about the next update... coming soon.

Attachments

·
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #553 (Edited)
LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" Curved 144 Hz G-SYNC IPS Gaming Monitor

Time for a monitor upgrade! I’ve been using an Acer Predator XB271HU 27” G-Sync monitor for gaming for four years now. This has been a fantastic monitor and once you go G-Sync for gaming there is no going back!

Originally my plan back then four years ago was to buy one of the Acer Predator XB271HU 27” monitors, and then wait for the price to drop so I could buy three more to run a 3+1 surround set-up. The problem is that the price never really went down much on those monitors, and by then I was spending most of my spare time working on this build and I really wasn’t gaming much. So no point in buying monitors until the build was finished.

Reviews

First of all I am no monitor expert so for all the technical info on this monitor here is a review from TFT Central

Here is another review on youtube

This guy reviews the settings menus and software

4 Reasons for going Widescreen over 3+1 Surround

I have used two monitors on my desk for quite a few years now. Before I purchased the Acer Predator, I had two cheapo 27” 1080P TN Samsung monitors that I bought from Costco.

I was thrilled when I first got those 27” Samsung monitors as they were bigger than my previous mismatched sized monitors, but once I put the IPS Acer Predator on my desk that is when I realized how crappy my cheap TN panels were! The 1440P resolution was a huge improvement, and the colors of the Acer Predator were far superior to the Samsung TN monitors.

At the same time I had a 27” TV on my desk to the left of the two monitors, this gave me a pretty good feel for what it would be like to game with three 27” monitors in surround. I sit with my eyes about 36 inches away from the center monitor, and what I realized is that the outer edges of a surround set-up was wider than my peripheral vision. It felt like in games I would have to be turning my head side to side too often. This is the first reason why I decided to go with a widescreen monitor over three monitors in surround.

This picture shows when I first recently set up the 3+1 monitor stand to see how the stand would work out with TV on the left, the Acer Predator in the middle, and the right monitor is actually a 24” monitor, as the 27” Samsung that was in that spot did not have the VESA mount on the back.

The second and obvious benefit to using a wide screen monitor instead of three monitors in surround is that there would be no bars in the picture. Even though the monitors have thin bezels, I think having no bezels will make gaming much more enjoyable.

The third reason is that this 38” widescreen monitor is almost 1 ½ inches taller than the 27” 1440P monitor with the same pixel density! That may not sound like much difference, but it is quite noticeable.

The fourth benefit to using a widescreen over surround is that there are far less pixels to push which means I will get far more FPS while gaming.

• A single 1440P 2k display has 3,686,400 pixels.
  • This LG 3840 x 1600 display has 6,144,000 pixels.
  • A single 4k display has 8,294,400 pixels.
  • 3 x 1440P 2k displays has 11,059,000 pixels.
So you can see that I’ll get way more FPS using this widescreen over a single 4k display, and if I used a three monitor surround set-up I would end up with far less FPS than this widescreen or even a 4k display. FPS rules here for sure!

Unboxing

Look at the size of this box hanging over the edges of my cart here.

Opening the box the accessory box is right on top that has all the cables you need.

It shipped without a double box, but the screen was perfectly fine.

Just put the stand together and the monitor snaps right on the stand.

Now let’s see how this awesome widescreen looks on my desk with the factory stand.

Here is with the monitor adjusted all the way up.

Here is with the monitor adjusted all the way down. It has a nice range of height adjustment.

This is the 3+1 monitor stand after I took all the monitors off of it. Notice the round felt pads on the bottom of the stand. Those were all I had when I first set this up. I was surprised the stand had nothing on the bottom, and I did not want to scratch up the top of my desk with the metal base.

First thing is I removed the arm on the right side.

Using spray adhesive I put thin black felt along the entire underneath of the metal bottom of the stand.

I wanted to center the widescreen on the stand, but because of only having one monitor to the left I had to offset the widescreen to keep the stand from tipping over to the left. I also wanted to be sure my phone charger would fit just to the right of the widescreen. While my phone charges I can also see if I’m getting a phone call even with my headphones on.

These aren’t the best pictures with the flash on, but at least you can see the layout. I put the 27” TV over the top of the widescreen.

New Auxiliary Monitors

I bought two new 27” auxiliary monitors too. These don’t need to be fancy G-Sync monitors but here was my minimum requirements:

• 27” IPS in 1440P 2k resolution
  • Height, pivot and swivel adjustable
  • VESA mount in back
  • Display port and HDMI connections
I went with the Acer CB271HU monitors that I got a screaming good deal on. Now I can retire the last Samsung 27” 1080P monitor and have a third monitor for my main rig.

Monitors All Set Up

Here it is with all the new monitors in place. The new widescreen is on the right with TV on top. The Acer Predator to the left is the secondary monitor, and the new Acer on the side desk is the third monitor.

The new acer on the far left is connected to my secondary rig. The two new Acers have not been calibrated yet. New monitors are usually set with the brightness way too high, as you can see from the HWiNFO window I have split between the two monitors, on the left side the text is washed out in the picture and on the right it’s much more readable since that monitor has previously been calibrated.

Notice that I have relocated the keyboard tray over to the right so it is centered in front of the widescreen. This also gives me a better view of the Devastator because the keyboard tray partially blocked the view previously. Moving my chair a little to the right also keeps my eyes an even distance from all of the monitors.

I replaced the Microsoft ergo keyboard, got a new wireless ergo keyboard and mouse for the secondary rig, and I replaced the old worn out mouse pad with a Razer Destructor 2 mouse pad which so far I like.

I also sleeved the speaker cables to the three desk speakers, bought all the correct length display port and USB cables to neaten up the cables under the desk so they are all secured and tucked up out of view.

Here is the same shot with the flash off.

Calibrating the Monitors with a Datacolor SpyderX Elite

I’ve had a Datacoler Spyder 5 Pro for some time now, and just bought the newest version the Datacolor SpyderX Elite. Since I’m no monitor expert, so this allows me to quickly and easily calibrate all the monitors, and it loads the profiles when the computer starts.

The sensor hangs over the monitor and the software walks you through it.

This is after calibration. The new Acers had the brightness set at 80 out of the box, now set to 26 after calibration. I ended up accidentally adjusting the wide screen brightness so I don’t know what it was out of the box but it ended up at 34 after calibration.

This is the view from my chair. This widescreen is just incredible! If you look at the last picture carefully and this picture look at the tractor tire marks in the sand in the lower right corner of the picture, you can see Windows automatically cropped the top and bottom of the desktop picture to make it fit the screen.

With the monitors lined up on the bottom you can really see the extra height of the widescreen compared to the 27” monitor to the left.

Using Four Monitors

Here I’m running Far Cry New Dawn benchmark on the widescreen, the 2nd monitor has HWiNFO on the left half, and MSI Afterburner Monitor on the right half. The 3rd monitor has the OCN website, and the 4th monitor is the secondary rig with the Aquasuite Web monitoring the Devastator.

The secondary rig is in the lower left with the far left monitor on the side desk. That is an Espon V600 Photo scanner I just got for Christmas. One of my next projects is to scan all of my boxes of old photos.

Another thing I did during the “office redo” here, I took out two old fluorescent lights and replaced them with one long 48” LED dimmable light fixture. The old lamps were mounted at the rear of the underneath of this side desk cabinet, the new one I mounted behind the front edge which works better. This is full brightness.

Some web sites work well displayed on the full widescreen monitor like OCN does here stretched out to fill the screen.

If I’m reading a web page I find myself usually using half of the widescreen. In fact this widescreen works perfect to view two web pages side by side! Here you can see I have two side by side 1920 x 1200 web pages.

I like my 2nd monitor set up like this with HWiNFO on the left side and MSI Afterburner Monitor on the right side of the display.

Adding another monitor stand

After using this monitor set up for a few weeks I found that the left most monitor running on the main rig is too far to the left and I either have to really twist my neck around or swivel my chair around to see it.

My plan now is to get another monitor stand that I can stack the two new Acer 27” monitors on top of each other to the left of the widescreen monitor, and move the Acer Predator over as the monitor for the secondary rig on the side desk.

Then I can take the left arm off of my existing stand, center the widescreen on that stand, and then TV will line up as well.

The final update will be to replace the current 27” 1080P TV on top with a Samsung 32” 4k TV. I did try my existing TV as an auxiliary monitor and although as a TV it looks fine, as a monitor it really looks horrible and not even usable.

Conclusion

I am very happy with this new widescreen monitor! It is absolutely the best size monitor for gaming from my viewing distance in my opinion. The colors look fantastic. There are no dead pixels and no back light bleed that I can see.

This is my first curved monitor, and I must say that I don’t even really notice that it is curved while I’m using it. I also want to mention that at first I thought this monitor did not have a fan, and the only reason I know it has a fan is from reading reviews. I have never heard the fan at all!

The lighting on the back is something that I don’t use and would not even care if it didn’t come with that feature, although I can see how some people would like it especially if your monitor is closer to a wall than mine is. Just to note even with the lighting feature turned off all the way, it still comes on for a few seconds as the monitor first starts or wakes up.

The only real downside to this monitor is that yes it is expensive, but if you want a fantastic gaming and multi-use monitor that can actually serve as two monitors in many circumstances this is one of the best available at this time, and I highly recommend it!

A final screenshot from up high in Far Cry New Dawn in widescreen.

Attachments

·
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #554 (Edited)
Game Benchmarks on the 3840x1600 Widescreen Monitor

Today I am going to share benchmarks of eleven different games across two different monitor resolutions the quite popular 27” 2560x1440 like the Acer Predator XB271HU I’ll be using here. It has the “overclock” feature turned on so that it can get up to 165 Hz.

The second resolution being tested will be from my recently purchased LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" Curved 144 Hz G-Sync IPS Gaming Monitor. This monitor will overclock up to 175 Hz, but you have to use Chroma subsampling, so I set it to 160 Hz where I can use 8-bit color in RGB. If you drop it down to 120 Hz you can use 10-bit color.

I love testing and benchmarking new hardware, and there are not many game benchmarks published in this 3840x1600 widescreen format. Most reviews only show 1080p, 1440p and of course 4k resolutions, so this will be interesting.

This 38” 1600p widescreen has 67% more pixels than the 27” 1440p monitor 6,144,000 vs. 3,686,400 pixels.

A 4k display has 35% more pixels than the 38” 1600p widescreen 8,294,400 vs. 6,144,000 pixels.

The 3840x1600 widescreen is not a very popular resolution yet, but it is a HUGE monitor that I believe is the perfect “gaming” size and pixel wise it slots in nicely between a standard 1440p monitor and a 4k monitor. Screen real estate is more important than more pixels in my opinion.

I ran a suite of ten game benchmarks on my 27” 1440p monitor back on this post Game Benchmarks. For this round of testing I am dropping two of the oldest titles Bioshock Infinite and Hitman Absolution. Those two games aren’t nearly as demanding as most of the newer titles, besides the fact that I’ve uninstalled those games to make room for new ones.

Now I’m adding three new games that I have not benchmarked previously The Division 2, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, and Red Dead Redemption 2 which will make a total of 11 games to look at here, and I’m not going to show a screen shot of every setting just the Ultra settings on the widescreen with a chart of the results.

Only three of these games do not support SLI or NVLink and I’ll benchmark those three games first. I have disabled SLI in the Nvidia Control panel as I found previously that I get significantly better performance at least on the Assassins Creed games with SLI disabled.

For these tests I’m using my 24/7 overclock of 4.8 GHz on the 7900x CPU, and my normal “game overclock” on the video cards which is +100 on the core clock and +1040 on the memory of the two 2080Ti video cards. During all of this testing with the ambient temperatures in the upper 60s F, the max GPU temperature was 40°C and the max CPU core temperature was 65°C.

I also am using the latest Nvidia drivers, and I ran each benchmark test at least twice for each setting. Most all of them were very close and I used the best result. I start with the settings that GeForce Experience is recommending which is listed as GFE in charts below, and I’ll use GFE from this point forward when referring to the GeForce Experience software.

In most games the GFE puts the settings to nearly maxed out, and I’ll show the “Optimal” settings that GFE is recommending and the red boxes in the GFE screen shots will show the changes if you moved the slider all the way to the “Quality” side.

Then I’m running the benchmarks by using the in-game Ultra, High, and Medium settings or whatever each game calls their settings.

When I am playing games I rarely use the Ultra setting because I can’t really tell any difference between High and Ultra most of the time. Of course I’m not usually standing there admiring the scenery or textures, I’m running around trying to kick some butt and not get killed.

Playing with medium settings I can see a difference, and never play on medium but I included medium settings in these benchmarks to see how much difference it makes FPS wise.

Assassins Creed Origins – October 2017

The GFE maxes the settings out on this game and the GFE scores were the same as the Ultra High setting scores. This benchmark does not list minimum and maximum FPS but does have a Score so I included that in the chart. This benchmark runs just over two minutes in length.

The “WS” in all these charts stands for WideScreen with the 1440p resolution to the right with the Average Frames per Second.

Assassins Creed Odyssey – October 2018

This is the most demanding game of all the games tested here with only 57 FPS average with Ultra settings. If you dragged the slider all the way to “Quality” you can see it changes the Ambient Occlusion from Medium to High, the Environment Texture Detail from High to Ultra High, and the Resolution Modifier from 100% to 200%. The Resolution Modifier is just a FPS killer, and I would never use it personally.

I would use the High setting here with a very playable 76 FPS average.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood - July 2019

One reason I wanted to benchmark the Wolfenstein: Youngblood game is because it uses the new updated DLSS. Here is an interesting article on the subject where they call it DLSS 2.0 Nvidia DLSS in 2020: Stunning Results

Here is a quote from that article:
“DLSS now works with all RTX GPUs, at all resolutions and quality settings, and delivers effectively native image quality when upscaling, while actually rendering at a lower resolution. It's mind blowing. It's also exactly what Nvidia promised at launch. We're just glad we’re finally getting to see that now.”

You can see that the “Optimal” setting in GFE has the Anti-aliasing controlled by the DLSS. The in-game default setting for the DLSS is “Quality” and Ray Tracing is also on by default, so that is the settings I use here.

I wasn’t able to capture a screen shot of the completed benchmark for some reason, so just a chart here showing both of the two different built-in benchmarks. The second benchmark results do not have much variance between the different settings which make the second benchmark fairly meaningless.

Also this game has two settings above the standard Ultra with is Uber and Mein liben! Interesting that using the GFE turns DLSS off and the FPS drops significantly at the 1440p resolution.

With five different levels of settings the difference between the highest setting and the lowest setting is only seven FPS! I suspect that is related to the DLSS somehow. I haven’t played this game yet, but I know I’ll be getting plenty of FPS even on this big 3840 x 1600 monitor no matter what setting I choose.

8 Games that support SLI

The rest of the games all support SLI so I’ve turned the SLI on again. I start with the oldest of the games remaining and move to the newer ones. I have rounded off all the FPS scores in the charts to the nearest whole number.

Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor - September 2014

GFE experience maxes this game out, and it gets an average of 214 FPS. The first time I ran this I had forgotten to turn SLI back on and it only got 120 FPS which is still a lot, but excellent scaling in SLI with this game. This game gets 247 average FPS in the 1440p resolution, and with that kind of frame rate there is no reason to even benchmark anything less than the highest settings.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - November 2015

The only difference in the GFE settings from “Optimal” to max “Quality” is the Anti-aliasing.

This benchmark shows the average, minimum, and maximum FPS in three different sections of the game so I’m just going to chart the overall score in FPS rounded off. This benchmark runs about 1 ½ minutes.

Notice only five FPS difference between the two screen resolutions at the “High” setting.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands - March 2017

For this game the only thing GFE would change going fully to the “Quality” side of the slider is to change the Long Range Shadows form On to Ultra and change the Resolution Scaling higher.

This is the second most demanding game in this suite of benchmarks getting only 66 FPS in Ultra. Although moving down to Very High bumps the average FPS up to 94 FPS, a 28 FPS increase!

Just six FPS difference at the Very High setting between the two resolutions. This benchmark runs about a minute and ten seconds.

Far Cry 5 - March 2018

GFE maxes everything except the Resolution Scaling. This game calls the Medium setting “Normal”. The benchmark runs right about one minute in length.

No matter the setting you choose getting over 100 FPS on average is awesome!

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - September 2018

Looking at the GFE there are four settings that can be increased by moving the slider all the way to “Quality”.

With the “eye candy” turned on with the “highest” in-game setting I’m getting 137 FPS! That is only seven FPS less that the 1440p monitor gets.

This game has DLSS which tested out really well in my previous testing at 1440p, but if you turn it on with the widescreen monitor it takes away the 3840 x 1600 resolution option and only gives you a 2560 x 1600 option, so I won’t be testing DLSS here.

There is plenty of FPS here no matter what setting you choose as there is not much difference between the “Highest” setting to the “Normal” setting. This benchmark runs three minutes long.

Far Cry New Dawn - February 2019

As in Far Cry 5 this game also sees the GFE maxing everything out except the Resolution Scaling. This benchmark runs about one minute in length.

Once again the “High” setting would be my choice of settings here.

The Division 2 – March 2019

Most all of the “SLI compatible” games will have a chart like this one. This is MSI Afterburner Monitor showing each card with a separate column. From the top row is GPU temperatures, GPU usage, GPU power, GPU core clock, with Framerate in the lower right. This is Far Cry New Dawn. See how in both columns the pattern is almost exactly the same. This shows three benchmark runs back to back

For the Division 2, I’ll call it “Partially SLI compatible” because it only uses 20-30% of the second video card as seen in this Afterburner chart. I did run these benchmarks with SLI disabled and the scores were quite a bit lower, so the second card definitely helps but does not scale as well as the rest of the games here.

If you maxed out the GFE slider here it changes the Ambient Occlusion from High to Very High, Extra Streaming Distance from 8 to 10, and the Object Detail setting from 80 to 100.

This is the third most taxing game here as far as FPS go with 71 FPS in Ultra with a nice bump up to 97 FPS by merely dropping down to the High setting.

This benchmark runs about one minute 40 seconds, and this game does not have minimum or maximum FPS in the benchmark, but does have a score.

Dead Red Redemption 2 - December 2019

The built in benchmark in this game is the longest of all of these games tested going four minutes in length. That doesn’t sound like much, but if you are testing out many different settings several times each it takes much longer than the games with shorter benchmarks.

This game also has more settings that you can tweak than any game I’ve ever seen! Plus the game does not have “global” Ultra, High, and Medium settings. Most games if you change from Ultra to High it will change numerous video settings.

Here is the default settings, you have to go down the line and change each setting down from Ultra.

The “Optimal” settings in GFE are lower on the slider than any other game tested here, and sliding it all the way to the “Quality” side changes nearly every setting and there is twice that many settings if I scrolled down.

This is one game that makes using GFE great because you don’t have to figure out which settings to change you and just drag the slider up or down to get more “Quality” or more FPS.

The “End of Benchmark” screen isn’t very exciting, but you can see even at Ultra settings I’m getting nearly 105 FPS on the widescreen.

I haven’t even played this game yet but in Steam it says I’ve played for five hours, and that is just from running benchmarks. The benchmark looks so awesome that I’ve decided that this will be the next game I play.

Conclusion

As usual this ended up being way more work to put together than I thought. I spent weeks benchmarking and compiling all the data. I was originally planning to do all the benchmarks on the widescreen and then just using the previous data I had from benchmarking the games at 1440p.

But I decided to redo all of those benchmarks previously done on the 1440p monitor because the video drivers have been updated, and this way I could use all the same in-game settings for a better comparison between the two resolutions.

I must admit that after running all the benchmarks on the widescreen and then going back to the 27” monitor to retest all the benchmarks, that 27” monitor seems dinky compared to the widescreen. Also the additional height of the 38” widescreen makes a HUGE difference!

The widescreen is so much more immersive in games, and it serves as two monitors for general productivity use. I have two windows open side by side almost always.

Here is one final chart with all eleven games with both Ultra or whatever is the highest setting, and High or whatever is the second highest setting showing the average FPS of the widescreen 3840x1600 monitor in the left two columns, and the 2560x1440 resolution monitor in Ultra and High in the right two columns.

In conclusion using the GFE sometimes gets more FPS than Ultra settings, and sometimes gets less FPS than Ultra settings. It is certainly not necessary to use, but can come in handy on games with many different settings you can adjust like Red Dead Redemption 2.

Otherwise unless you are playing a game with crazy high FPS like Shadow of Mordor, it is best to skip using the Ultra setting and use the in-game High settings to get more FPS. I have found that if you can keep your average FPS at least in the 80 to 90 FPS range that you should have a smooth gaming experience with G-Sync, and anything over 100 FPS is totally awesome!

Hope you enjoyed this!

Barefooter

Attachments

·
Rig Advisor
1,936 Posts
I'm quite certain i'm looking at the command center where the COVID-19 outbreak is being monitored from. It looks overwhelming to my inferior mind. Nice build!

·
Chief Over-Engineer
608 Posts
That’s a very impressive wall of monitors you’ve got there!

Good call going for the ultrawide option - if your experience is anything like mine it won’t take long before it doesn’t seem huge anymore, and anything else feels stupidly restrictive. Personally I think I’d find having all the auxiliary displays on one side a bit awkward, but I guess there isn’t much option with that desk shape.

I'm quite certain i'm looking at the command center where the COVID-19 outbreak is being monitored from. It looks overwhelming to my inferior mind. Nice build!

Everyone knows it’s not a proper command centre until there is an enormous world-map master situation monitor on the wall! Though Devastator will probably be graced with one inside a month now I’ve said that...

·
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #557
Well no it's not the command center, but here is the COVID-19 map from John Hopkins University that gets shown all over the place. As you can see this web site is widescreen friendly.

That’s a very impressive wall of monitors you’ve got there!

Good call going for the ultrawide option - if your experience is anything like mine it won’t take long before it doesn’t seem huge anymore, and anything else feels stupidly restrictive. Personally I think I’d find having all the auxiliary displays on one side a bit awkward, but I guess there isn’t much option with that desk shape.

Everyone knows it’s not a proper command centre until there is an enormous world-map master situation monitor on the wall! Though Devastator will probably be graced with one inside a month now I’ve said that...
Yes I absolutely love the widescreen, but I do have to turn my head too far for the left most monitor of the three powered by the Devastator. I'm planning on buying an Ergotech 130-Series Dual monitor stand in the vertical version. I'll use that for the widescreen and the TV, and then use the current stand for the two 27" auxiliary monitors to the left stacked vertically. It should be much more user friendly in that lay out... and no... no more monitors... at least none planned :D

Attachments

·
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #558
Red Dead Redemption 2 completed on the Widescreen

On my last update I shared the Game Benchmarks from the widescreen monitor, but at that point I had not really done much gaming on the widescreen, just benchmarks and every day usage.

Now that I have completed Red Dead Redemption 2 I’ll share my thoughts and experiences gaming on this 38” widescreen monitor. According to steam I played 85 hours to finish the game. I did very little fishing or hunting except what was included in any of the missions, but I did play all of the side quests along the way.

This game was a lot of fun and the graphics were just fantastic! The sound was also some of the best sound I’ve ever heard in a game. For the first quarter or so of the game I was using completely maxed out settings, Ultra on everything, and I was getting 80 to 120 FPS.

I was a little frustrated during this early part of the game because the game would crash two or three times in every gaming session. Just riding my horse through town without much action going on and it would crash at times. Well a mid-March Nvidia driver update seemed to fix this because after that driver update it only crashed once more through the rest of the game.

After that first quarter of the game I used the GeForce Experience to change the settings to “Optimized”. This changed some of the settings lower, but I could not tell any difference in quality while playing the game, but my FPS went up to 110 to 150 and was buttery smooth!

Just like when I went from a 1080p 60hz TN panel to a 1440p 165hz IPS Gsync monitor, going from a 27” screen size to this 38” widescreen is such a huge difference that there is no going back for me now.

Also remember the additional height of the monitor makes a big difference too. For the distance I sit from the monitor which is about 36 inches this is the perfect size monitor for gaming, and I would highly recommend it!

Here's a few shots with the game on.

Attachments

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey Barefooter,

I just read through your Tempered Glass Mod section and love it! Can you link me where you bought the short nuts from? Also, the thin washers and vacuum hose would be great as well!

Thank you

·
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #560
Hey Barefooter,

I just read through your Tempered Glass Mod section and love it! Can you link me where you bought the short nuts from? Also, the thin washers and vacuum hose would be great as well!

Thank you
Hey chibi, alot of the lock nuts I found were too large and would not have engaged with the plastic insert to lock in place. I found these thin nylon lock nuts at Fastenals link here. I had to buy a box of 50.

The washers I used I already had on hand, they were extras that came with video card waterblocks. I was not able to find any this thin online, but I also didn't look real hard since I had some already.

The small vacuum hose I used is just regular 7/32” automotive vacuum hose that you should be able to purchase from your local automotive parts store.

It's a great mod and super easy to clean the windows with a microfiber cloth with a little squirt of glass cleaner :thumb:

541 - 560 of 562 Posts