Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

This is my first build log. As I try and make my move from main stream water cooling to the enthusiast class, I will post my thoughts, solicit ideas, and post lots of pictures. Or at least thats how I thought build logs go.

I suppose I have to start with a parts list. But to be honest I think thats kind of boring. The short story is I got a new case, a Case Labs TH10. I am going to move most of the components that were previously housed in my 600T pictured below. With a few upgrades along the way.
smile.gif

5885794539_c0c6fd8e12_b.jpg

I ran out of room, so I stepped up to the TH10.

6224627203_9c95c91abe_b.jpg

The plan is to add two RX480 XSPC rads to the top of the case, add a third GPU, add a few more water blocks, yada yada yada. More pics please, right? This is me fooling around and seeing what different color schemes would look like.

6224627711_79bc7bcbc0_b.jpg

All kidding aside, I will need the community help to make some sound decisions. I will try and post a few images every day and ask for feed back on my choices. This is neither a budget build nor a "I'manutcasewithacreditcard" build
tongue.gif
. I would like to open the thread up with this question. What water-cooling components would you install into the TH10 and why. I pretty much have my parts chosen but its not too late to make changes if I hear a good idea.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, another day another entry. Today I worked on the mobo water block. I am sure most have seen pics of the Crosshair V, but here is what it looks like without the ROG heatsink on the NB and mosfet (note this pic is of me test fitting the thermal tape, still hadn't removed the backing from the tape or applied any of the MX4).

From the previous pic you can see that there are 21 mosfet chips to clean and prep with thermal pad. Also since they recommended some thermal grease to the mosfets, I used a minuscule amount on each chip, mostly to help stick the thermal pads on each chip.

Now to get the NB clean. Arctic Silver cleaner to the rescue! Of note, the NB had what appears to be two different TIM. The silver grease we all know and love, and some orangey tinged stuff that was a PITA to remove, requiring two applications of cleaner to get off. Here we are all clean.

From here its straight forward, just add TIM to the NB (EK recommended an X pattern so I did), and the brass standoffs to the Waterblock, and bolt onto the mobo.

Couldn't get much done this morning, my kids woke up earlier then I had hoped. Had to stop and make them eggs or their would have been mutiny.

I had wanted to post pics of the tech station configuration of the TH10 mobo tray, might try and post it later tonight.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
A large tube res looks good next to the motherboard, the EK 400 is a good fit. I see you have a Swiftech 35X already so that's a good pump choice although it benefits from decoupling.

Noiseblocker PL2 fans will look good in the top.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Subbed, this looks good

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnticingSausage
View Post

Love your old build, looking forward to seeing what you can do with the TH10

Thanks , I set the bar kind of high with my last build, going to need some serious plot twists to keep this TH10 build from looking mediocre.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffdaddy290
View Post

Id like to see how that comes out cool g... Im trying to figure out what kind of cooling system to get

Thanks for taking a look. I started with the Corsair H70 and I did like it. Unfortunately you can't cool anything but a CPU with it so I moved on. The Rasa kits are not a bad place to start either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Elf
View Post

A large tube res looks good next to the motherboard, the EK 400 is a good fit. I see you have a Swiftech 35X already so that's a good pump choice although it benefits from decoupling.

Noiseblocker PL2 fans will look good in the top.

I am actually going in a different direction with the reservoirs, either it's going to look great or really stupid. Won't ruin the surprise today but it should be a first in a Case Labs. I here great things about NoiseBlockers, but I have about 20 AP15s and they seem to work well. I might order one noise blocker to see how the other side lives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtMunky
View Post

Subbed, this looks good

Thanks!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick update, but first, what do you guys think. Should I try and RMA my nickel plated EK ram water block? This is what it looks like internally.

I don't see any erosion or other sign that the nickel plating is failing. Its not very old though, I got it about 4 months ago. I am afraid if I start the RMA process they will decline since there is no visible defects at the moment. I guess I will have to keep an eye on it.

So quick shot of the tech station feature on the TH10. Basically the mobo tray has optional rubber stand off/feet. Its actually pretty useful. Nice to work on a mobo tray and not worry about scratching anything or grounding out.

One last pic for today, shot of the water blocks I put in so far.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CesarNYC;15240991
Quick update, but first, what do you guys think. Should I try and RMA my nickel plated EK ram water block? This is what it looks like internally.

6228138357_30ed9d1a3e_b.jpg

I don't see any erosion or other sign that the nickel plating is failing. Its not very old though, I got it about 4 months ago. I am afraid if I start the RMA process they will decline since there is no visible defects at the moment. I guess I will have to keep an eye on it.

So quick shot of the tech station feature on the TH10. Basically the mobo tray has optional rubber stand off/feet. Its actually pretty useful. Nice to work on a mobo tray and not worry about scratching anything or grounding out.

6228656636_6b8900404a_b.jpg

One last pic for today, shot of the water blocks I put in so far.

6228139127_c441be63ab_b.jpg
Hi there,

I just ordered the exact same case, and i will be buying the Crosshair v Formula next and butting that in as well!

Im glad i found somone that is building a rig very similar to what i want to build!

Just wanted to say that it looks great so far!

I really would like to know where you got the Blocks for your Mosfets and NB/SB. Also where you got the EK waterblock for your GT ram.

I want to use the same parts for my Mother board aswell. I am going to use the Kryos HF .925 silver for the CPU and EK for the GPU's.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jblanc03
View Post

Hi there,

I just ordered the exact same case, and i will be buying the Crosshair v Formula next and butting that in as well!

Im glad i found somone that is building a rig very similar to what i want to build!

Just wanted to say that it looks great so far!

I really would like to know where you got the Blocks for your Mosfets and NB/SB. Also where you got the EK waterblock for your GT ram.

I want to use the same parts for my Mother board aswell. I am going to use the Kryos HF .925 silver for the CPU and EK for the GPU's.

thanks! The MOSFET/NB block I bought from EK directly from their webstore, at the time I couldn't find any of my regular vendors carrying it. Not sure who is carrying it now, and EK seems to be sold out at the moment. As far as the ram block, I got that from FrozenCPU. Great choice on the Kryos. Should have shots of my GPUs and blocks up later tonight.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick Update. Mounted the Ver2 water block on my latest 6970.

And thats makes three.

The mobo tray got heavy all of a sudden

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CesarNYC
View Post

*snip*

Wow, looks great already! Subbed!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riotmaster0;15255333
Wow, looks great already! Subbed!
Thanks man, I am going to keep plugging away.

Probably another small update tonight, going to post some pics of the case with the parts I have prepped so far. I am not crazy with how the Koolance SLI connectors look. I ordered the EK FC bridge, I have seen posts indicating its a bit restrictive but it can't be worse then the Koolance ones I will be replacing. Also, I am just now coming to the conclusion that I have a problem with fan cabling. I am going to have to do a lot of wiring/sleeving. This is not something I am known for, so I will leave that for last while I read up on how to do it.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
My build was the first time I'd tried sleeving and it's a lot easier than it looks. All you need is patience and to be careful and to be prepared to redo cables if they don't look right. There's plenty of guides on how to do it available.

After saying that I bought extensions for the PSU main cables as I didn't want to risk cocking up the 24 pin, PCIE or 8 pin CPU cables.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CesarNYC;15255027

6232589999_48259c816d_b.jpg

And thats makes three.

6232590345_3837fe1fdd_b.jpg

The mobo tray got heavy all of a sudden
smile.gif

6232590677_1733ef8b51_b.jpg
Looking good!

Question for ya.

I was told that the EK GPU blocks flake alot. Is this true?
THe person who mentioned it is building a sick rig and he has had experience with those blocks and said that this time around he is not using any EK products because of that. What do you think?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblanc03;15259384
Looking good!

Question for ya.

THe person who mentioned it is building a sick rig and he has had experience with those blocks and said that this time around he is not using any EK products because of that. What do you think?
I think EK has already addressed that. Not all blocks are affected, only those bought much more recently

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblanc03;15259384
Looking good!

Question for ya.

Its true. Their nickle plated blocks have taken a lot of fire because many of them showed to have the nickle eroding or flaking off. When EK responded to the allegations they initially botched up and shifted the blame on everything from using silver kill coil to the Easter bunny. They did come around eventually, and offered to pay for shipping both ways for the exchange process. They also updated their nickle plating process (though these blocks cost more now).

Me personally, I haven't had any issues with EK, but I would avoid their nickle plated (with the older method of applying) blocks. The ram sink I have is one of the older style. No guarantee it will flake but since its hasn't, I cant RMA it yet. I could just buy another but the pile of shame (spare parts I am not using) is big enough. As far as the rest of the EK catalog, I like the look and the performance is good, so till I have a reason to stop using them I will continue to do so.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: CesarNYC
1 - 20 of 222 Posts