Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE VOYAGER

Hi every body, this is going to be my first build log here at OCN and the first build log that i'v ever done at all.

The Reason i choose the name "VOYAGER" is because:
1) I'm a science geek and it's an astronomy reference.
2) The build very small and portable, and therefore coming with me to many places.

OK, so i guess we'll start off with the part list, this machine is designed to be a nice compact gaming rig that is silent, runs all the games and also is very portable.

MAIN COMPONENTS

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy. ☑
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K. ☑
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 690. ☑
PSU: Enermax Platimax 750W. ☑
SSD: Intel 520 Series 240GB x2. ☑
RAM: Kingston 8GB 2400Mhz. ☑
MB: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe. ☑

WATERCOOLING COMPONENTS

CPU WATER BLOCK: Aquacomputer Kyros Derlin. ☑
FAN CONTROLLER: Bitfenix Hydra Pro. ☑
RESERVOIR: Integrated in the Radiator. ☑
RADIATOR: Aquacomputer AMS 240mm: aluminum fins, stainless steel side panels. ☑
COOLANT: Mayhems Pastel Blue Berry. ☑
TUBING: Primochill Primoflex Pro 19/13 Clear. ☑
PUMP: Compact 600/12V. ☑
FAN1: Bitfenix Spectre 230mm. ☑
FAN2: Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition x4. ☑

Already ordered/received parts will be marked as ☑.

The parts that i forgot to mention will be added when i can think of them.

Edit: Updated!

Also, if you have questions or suggestions go ahead and post them here.

THE BUILDLOG

Let us start with the parts that i already have:

Forgot to include the RAM sticks on that photo so here is what they look like:

Starting off with the case: It is the Midnight Black Bitfenix Prodigy.

Also just to mention, If you have a rubbish table like i do, Then please don't drag the case around the table or you'll end up like this:
As you can see the bottom feet has rubbed the table and scrach the paint off, And that is from all four corners.
Other than that i don't have any complaints about the case, well except this:

The dust filter is unfolding and it is (The case) a bit wobbly but other these minor annoyances, It is a phenomenal case for the price and i do like it very much!

Next we have the Mother Board: It is the P8Z77-I Deluxe, and i'm very much looking forward to see what it's capable of.

And the accessories:

Next the Power Supply Unit, The Platimax +80 Platinum rated PSU that i chose for this build.

The PSU with all the accessories:

There is: A bag for the PSU, The power cord, Documentation, An enermax case badge,
Modular cables, Velcro cable ties, A metal piece that i don't know what it's for and the PSU itself.
Something that i have to put out there is that the PSU DOES NOT fit in the case, and here is why:
So what's up here is that the PSU is 175mm in length and the maximum is 180mm,
Now otherwise it would be enough for the cables to be routed, But in this case the modular cables sicks out too far so it doesn't fit.
NOTE:The maximum length of the PSU that will properly fit in the case is 160mm so don't go over that, Unless you really want to modify the case that bad.
rolleyes.gif

Some more pictures of the problem:

I suppose i'll have to modify the back of the PSU Bracket somehow, Now i'm open to suggestions on this but this is the plan so far:

The parts marked with red are going to be cut out so i cant mount the SSDs there, I'll be mounting them on the side panel because of this.

Moving on to RAM, The ram is 2x4GB modules of Kingston 2400Mhz memory, And i'm quite excited about these babies and how they perform!

Also the size of these sticks blew me away when i first saw them, They are like twice the height of my current RAM.

I forgot to take any pictures of the CPU box, And the CPU separately so i'll skip that and jump right to the GPU
biggrin.gif

Now this is a BIG BOY graphics card with a lot of power (and a hefty price tag of 1070€... Which translates to about 1300$... Finland = Expensive)
Here is how the box and the card looks like:

Something though that i noticed was that the box didn't have any seals and the box in side was scratched
headscratch.gif

Also the card itself looked like it had already been in use, The covers on the glass hadn't been removed though.

OK, Now that we have covered all the components that i have got at the moment, we can jump right in to the building process, Now first off i stripped the case down.

From this:

To this:

These are all the parts that cam off
biggrin.gif
, i also took off the fan from the back of the case, When i was installing the motherboard.

The back input/output shield installed.

The Motherboard and RAM installed, now when you install this particular motherboard you first need to unscrew two screws which are holding the daughter board (there are two nuts that don't allow the installation without removal),
And after that screw it carefully in place.

The CPU installed, Isn't that an artsy picture!
biggrin.gif

The Stock CPU heat sink installed, That thing isn't going to be there for long i can tell you that.
tongue.gif
(The fan isn't even hooked up!)

And Finally the GTX 690
biggrin.gif
, It covers up everything... So i'll have to see what i'm gonna do to get some of the other glorious components to show.

So that's basically how far i am at the present moment, got the parts today and decided to do some work on the build (I might have to take it all out though if i'm gonna cut the case, as the PSU problem)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do like that case also. I am interested to see it all come together. That thing is going to be backing a lot of heat (pun intended).

·
Not having a good time
2,395 Posts
Hmm, This is relevant to my interests.
thinking.gif

I am planning a new build with this case with similar specs to yours, Although I don't have enough to get a GTX690 so it will be a nice 4GB 680 for me.
redface.gif

Edit:
Only thing is I plan to install a 60mm thick 140mm rad in the back or a 200mm rad in the front. Can't decide which one, you think you could take some measurements and see if a 60mm thick 140mm rad will fit with the motherboard installed?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I love that case. I'd pick one up if it didn't mean picking up a new mobo to fit it...
frown.gif
I really want a case with the horizontal mobo mount, but I can't find one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateful_Ikkou View Post

thinking.gif

I am planning a new build with this case with similar specs to yours, Although I don't have enough to get a GTX690 so it will be a nice 4GB 680 for me.
redface.gif

Edit:
Only thing is I plan to install a 60mm thick 140mm rad in the back or a 200mm rad in the front. Can't decide which one, you think you could take some measurements and see if a 60mm thick 140mm rad will fit with the motherboard installed?
I might be able to do that tomorrow
smile.gif

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptos View Post

I do like that case also. I am interested to see it all come together. That thing is going to be backing a lot of heat (pun intended).
Quote:

thinking.gif

redface.gif

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23hocke View Post

Sweet! Love these prodigy builds.
thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyderman34 View Post

I love that case. I'd pick one up if it didn't mean picking up a new mobo to fit it...
frown.gif
I really want a case with the horizontal mobo mount, but I can't find one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDoq View Post

Very interested! I love seeing such high end components in a such a managable form factor. Subbed
thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by longroadtrip View Post

Can't wait to see what all you have planned for this build! Really like the Voyager name!
thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamas View Post

Subbed. The prodigy is awesome.
thumb.gif
Thanks to all of you
biggrin.gif
,Also i'm probably going to order the SSDs today and also most (if not all) of the watercooling bits.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A TEENY UPDATE

Starting with a question by Fateful_Ikkou
Quote:

So here is some measurements:
smile.gif
The red line shows the length of the radiator and the blue one is the fan.

So as you can see it would sit over the CPU which might be a problem (it would make things a lot harder at least.)

If the end tanks are too big then the radiator wont fit, Because of the daughter board.

You can see that here.
Now, Based on this information i'd recommend going with the 200mm radiator option, As the 140mm option is either very very hard to achieve or not possible at all.

THE BUILD

Next i got some news about the PSU problem, as you remember it doesn't fit inside the case because of the modular cables (and of course it being too long
rolleyes.gif
)
I got an idea that might be able to solve the problem for me without having to cut the case, Now if i buy something like these:

I could mount the PSU, so that it sticks out a little bit, But is still secure.

(Sorry about the horrible picture)
I could cover the rest of the PSU, That's sticking out with some mesh or something else later.
I also check'd the fan on the PSU and how it would work with the case when mounted like that, And it seemed like it wouldn't affect the air intake much either.

And now just to mention, This build will mainly be updated on weekends because of school and other time restrictions.

Also when you see me use the SPOILER alert, More often than not it's just to keep the post looking a little bit shorter and cleaner, And i would recommend you to check them out.

Ok, So that's it for now, Please let me know what you think of my ideas, Especially about the PSU mounting and feel free to suggest something else if you think that there is a better way of doing things.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Very nice thread sir!

A small doubt I have, what's the order in your loop? Because with the res included in the rad, what will you do? Break the Res > Pump rule?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post

Very nice thread sir!
A small doubt I have, what's the order in your loop? Because with the res included in the rad, what will you do? Break the Res > Pump rule?
Both the reservoir and the pump are integrated in the radiator, Like this:

(The picture is with a D5)

This is how it looks with the 600/230V

Also if my measurement's are correct, The radiator should fit in the case with push/pull leaving 20mm of space
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzledon View Post

looking good so far, another watercooled prodigy to join mine!
thumb.gif
Yes, I have been following your build for a while (even before i started this build log) and i'm happy to join you here
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
420 Posts
Any luck on finding a solution for the psu yet? Do you think it would fit a 160mm modular such as the seasonic x 560? According to newegg your enermax is 175mm. It looks like you need more than 15mm though :/

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
You could use a Psu case extension such as Lian-Li PE-01B power supply bracket.

• Rep+
Reactions: Semiregular

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post

Any luck on finding a solution for the psu yet? Do you think it would fit a 160mm modular such as the seasonic x 560? According to newegg your enermax is 175mm. It looks like you need more than 15mm though :/
I just posted little something about that earlier today
rolleyes.gif

Also i'd recommend to check the "spoilers" (also explained on my last post)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts