Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to sit down and do a log on this build. I am over halfway through the build already... but started taking some pics the last time I had it totally stripped down after initial fitting. I wanted to build something that would have some power, watercooled, quiet and not be overly huge. I almost went with a Caselabs Magnum 10... then found the Lian Li D600. Smaller... but I thought it would work. It is tighter than the Caselabs would have been, for sure. But everything is fitting like I wanted (after a few redesigns and component changes. I wanted to use the Acrylic Rad Grills that Primochill makes to give it a different look, and am mounting the "Pull" radiator fans on the outside of the case (mostly due to lack of room, but I like the way it looks also.) Black and Red theme... and some lighting.

Hope to hear some comments... and any advice is welcome!

Component:s:

Case - Lian Li PC-D600
CPU - Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Motherboard - ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME ATX Intel Motherboard
Graphics - EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti x3
RAM - Kingston HyperX Beast 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)...
Hard Drive - Western Digital RE 2TB 3.5"" SAS 6Gb/s Enterprise Internal Hard Drive X2 (Backups and general storage)
Hard Drive - Samsung 840 PRO Series MZ-7PD256 256GB 2.5-inch SSD X4 (probably in Raid 0) (Boot and games)
Optical Drive - Pawtec External USB 3.0 Aluminum 8X DVD-RW Writer Optical Drive with Lightscribe (Black)
Cooling - Monsoon Series Two Dual Bay Reservoir w/ Quick Change LED Control - Matte Black w/ Red Trim
Cooling - Swifttech MCP50x/2 (when they are released)
Cooling - Primochill rigid acrylic tubing
Cooling - EK Waterblocks EK-Supremacy Nickel CPU Water Block
Cooling - EK 780Ti waterblocks x3 - Nickel
Cooling - Primochill Revolver Rigid Compression Fittings
Cooling - Primochill Acrylic Radiator Grills - Red and Black - Various sizes - X9
Cooling - Alphacool ST30 280 radiator x2
Cooling - Alphacool ST30 280 radiator
Cooling - Alphacool 420 80mm x1
Cooling - Primochill Vortex Flow Indicator
Fan Controller - Lamptron Fan Controller 50w x 4 Channel FC9 (modded to restrict minimum RPM to about 500 RPM... can no longer turn fans OFF!
Fans - Rosewill Hyperborea 140mm Fans x14 - For radiators - SP 2.76 - CFM 89
Fans - AeroCool Shark 140mm Fan x1 for some extra air cooling on the Mobo
Fans - AeroCool Shark 120mm Fans x3 - rear case, and HHD bays
Power - EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified 120-PG-1500-VR 1500W Power Supply
OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor - Dell U3014 30" LED Backlight LED Monitor IPS panel
Keyboard - Steelseries Merc Stealth Black Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse - Razer Deathader 2013
Mouse Pad - Razer Scarab Expert Hard Gaming Mouse Mat
Audio - Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers with sub

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The D600 Case (Lian Li stock image, as I didn't take any before I started cutting up the case, lol!)

Front of case with front bezel installed

Front of case without front bezel

Back of case

Drive bay side

Mobo side

Bottom of case

Mobo side door with window

Top with 120mm fan cutouts
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 90

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had been planning this for a while, and wanted to go with 140mm radiators throughout the case. The Drive bay side was no issue since it was designed for 140's. the front also had 140mm capability... but I knew I was going to have to fit and cut the top of the case to make a 140 work.

I made these cutouts in the case.. using a jigsaw. You can also see the holes I drilled and put rubber grommets in to feed the fan cables into the case for the outside fan mounts.

Top:

Rear of case:

I also wanted to mount my PSU with the fan drawing in air from the outside of the case, which would mean a blowhole in the bottom of the case.

I cut out a 140mm hole:

and then mounted a Lian Li Filter Cage over the hole:

To facilitate good airflow to the PSU.. I also wanted to put larger feet on the bottom of the case, to raise it up a bit. I found some MNPC Tech aluminum feet that I liked, and ordered them... and then installed them (stock foot on the left):

·
Amiga 500
3,682 Posts
I love me a good Lian-Li modded build!!Subbed in anticipation of aluminum coolness
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Working the the acrylic radiator grills. They need some mods... as they overhang quite a bit.

Dremel tool.. with a sanding drum, to put some notches into the grills. I then polished them up to make them pretty.

With paper removed, and cleaned up a bit:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Modded the fans a little bit for better appearance. Used some 3M Aluminum Vinyl to cover the labels and the wires on the "out" side:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! Appreciate the comments!

Here are some shots of the top radiator fans with the grill installed....

Stock sleeves on the fan power cables... but I did add some heatshrink to the end near the fan to ensure no wires were showing.

·
Amiga 500
3,682 Posts
kudos,man nice job on them radiators
thumb.gif

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lamptron FC9 Fan Controller.

Love the controller... nice aluminum face, four channels, and 50 watts per channel. I did not like the way the little knobs on the sliders lined up.. they were all crooked. I RMA'd the first one of these because it was so bad. This one was not as bad.. but I still decided to remove the knobs. There is still plenty of the slider sticking out to allow changes to be made... and it looks clean.

If you look closely you can see some black rubber inserts that I put in under the sliders. They block the sliders at around 500 RPM, and keep the fans from ever being shut off. I don't want them shut off, lol!

The controller came with three 4-pin molex connecters attached to the back... and they were setup in Serial... and not sleeved or anything.

Like so (Ugly!) :

So I ripped it apart and rewired it, and sleeved it. Like so:

I think it looks a lot better, and will also make for better cable management since they claim it needs at least two of the 4-pin Molex power connecters hooked up for the 50 watts per channel to be effective. I started to just leave two connectors... but went ahead and left all three.

I also set the variable LEDs to red.. to match the rest of the lighting in the system.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanEboy View Post

Looks great so far! Now tell me where you found that PSU? Last I looked there was one in stock.. In Puerto Rico.,.
Thanks! Found that one on Amazon... back in November. The do seem popular! (even with all the bad press they receive from some people!) I got that one for $341.99... it is the 5 year warranty version.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmmmm... some boxes, left at my door by a mysterious stranger in brown clothing... lol! Whatever can they be?

Finally:

Now that I have all three of them, I can start mounting waterblocks.... will try to get some shots of that.

Now all I need is my pump...(swifttech.. hurry up with that MCP50X/2) lol

·
Amiga 500
3,682 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mAs81 View Post

Ooh,nice!!Now I'm jelly
rolleyes.gif
Yea.. and I will be kicking myself in a few months for not waiting for the 800's, lol!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts