10,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindrage606 View Post

Wow! Incredible work
thumb.gif
Thanks
biggrin.gif

I will be ordering new stuff I need soon so annoying that a pump I was planning on ordering kept going out of stock.
Quit a bit of work coming up as I will have a acrylic block to mill, vile and polish.
I also found the front radiator making contact with the graphic card's pcb on a solder joint so I either have to put some anti conductive glue there or a extra layer of lacquer.

I will also be getting 2x 8GB of vengeance DDR3 1600 so-dimms

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I've orderd the ram and a GTX Titan
biggrin.gif
(the Titan of course not being for this built haha)
However due to the Titan not being available for 1-2 weeks my memory will also be delayed not that I have to mod it anyways.
I also got a few of my requests trough and almost ready to order some nice items from china
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroC1999 View Post

Subbed for the smallest rig ever!
There are smaller rigs but not really in terms off power the mac mini server can come very close in terms of cpu power yet lacks a dedicated gpu.
Zotac and Asrock's dedicated boxes pack a simple gpu and a simple cpu which will yet give you not the performance you would get from a full scale system.
I want a small system that can do all that my old rig could.
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Finally the acrylic plate is ordered and it was a steal.
However non paypal bank transfer to Germany are a pain I had to refill the order 3x to get the cross-border security off.
I bought only a single small plate so I shouldn't ruin it, it is is a piece of 200x250x20(mm) it was the thickest block available at least for a decent price remember acrylic is like 20x the price of POM or other junk plastics.
It is solid high gloss acrylic which can be plolished to shine and yes this is going to be 10x the work you need to lap a cpu to mirror shine level but totally worth it in the end.
With other companies a piece of 30mm same size would cost me like 150 euro the thought of ruining it would kill me of already.

·
Premium Member
5,049 Posts
Good luck, sorry to hear that it's been a bit of a bugger

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko-Time View Post

Good luck, sorry to hear that it's been a bit of a bugger
As soon as I have the plate the final result will make more sense.
I know the milling and polishing is going to be a pain yet I really look forward to it.

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Did a bit of measuring today everything seems to fit, but just barely as to be expected.
As I extended the motherboard to the back of the case it sticks out a tiny bit leaving a green pcb visable I found the material I want to use to cover it up.
I first figured I should get myself a plate of extra black acrylic then I searched trough my storage and found a PS3 case which I had taken apart after it overheating (then I killed it while removing the IHS from the Powerpc core)

As you can see by reflection the plastic has a mirror finish.
I also came up with a different idea but I'm really having my doubts about it as it would mean I'd have to demolish a beautifull case.
The idea I had was to take the handles of a powermac G5 case and use those to cover it up (the aluminium looks the same and it has the right size to cover it up.

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I have just received an email confirming my winning bid on a Xserve Raid which will be used in a future build I'm picking it up this weekend
biggrin.gif

That Xserve Raid may justify cutting up the G5's handle as I could replace the relatively thin top plate of the side of the G5 and use the bottom handles too bolt them down accordingly.

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Here are some picture of what it would look like if I were to use the G5's handle to cover up the mobo sticking out of the back.
Of course if I were to use it like that I would vile it out in the middle and would make a smooth bend to make it fit perfectly as you see it is the exact size needed. (almost as if they made the prototypes from a g5 or mac pro case)

61 - 80 of 98 Posts