Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Purely Gaming. Nothing else

2) What's your budget? $1000 - 1100

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? I need everything but the Monitor. I need CPU, Mobo, Heatsink, Ram, Case, HDD, DVD Rom, PSU.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? I am using a LG IPS Panel thats it

6) Will you be overclocking? Yes

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have? 23 LG IPS 1920x1080

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? 3 days

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? I Prefer a Matx Mobo. I do not need Crossfire or SLI

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Yes Win 7 64

Like the Questions state above I need a new gaming PC. I Prefer Intel/Nvidia BUT will consider Intel/AMD.

I also Prefer a mATX Mobo.

Games played

World of warcraft. Battlefield BC2 + BF3.

Note: No offense to the Folders out there but I do not plan on folding what so ever. No disrespect but its just not something I find pleasure in.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
CPU/MOBO: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz / ASUS P8H67-M LX (REV 3.0)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm from amazon
Hard drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Case: COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM69
Video Card: EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1573-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX

all for under $1100

Left the keyboard/mouse of for the reason of you need to pick something that looks good to you and what you find you will use with comfort.

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think the hyper 212 is capable of pushing the 2500K to 5 ghz without heating issues? Im open to more cooling options if not

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4LC4PON3
View Post

Do you think the hyper 212 is capable of pushing the 2500K to 5 ghz without heating issues? Im open to more cooling options if not

Yes it will, all you need to do is put two nocuta fans on it and it will cool your cpu so nicely

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moocwzrck
View Post

btw thanks for the way you laid out your op, that's exactly how everyone that is asking for any part should do it!

+1 ^^this

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by asantas93
View Post

Might be better off overclocking the video card yourself, instead of paying someone else to do it.

This doesnt make any sense. Who said anything about paying anyone to OC the vid card

·
Registered
328 Posts
First, realistically you won't be getting 5ghz out of just any chip.
Second, usually people can get 4.7-4.8 on air with the D14 (90$ cooler)

Although you prefer mATX, they often lack in the VRM/Phase department, and in some cases lack certain voltage controls. Due to your ambitious clock of 5GHZ I would choose an ATX board with plenty juice.

Intel i5 2500k + Asus P8P67 Pro
Reasons,you stated this rig is for gaming only, in witch case a 2600k with HT would be useless. Second, as far as brands go, I think Gigabyte/Asus have the most reliable boards at the moment. The choose the Pro version because it is an excellent board with UEFI and SLI/CF capabilities for resale value or change of heart. (witch only adds 10$ to the price).
4GB of G.Skill DDR3 1600 cas8 RAM.
Great reliable ram, also blue to match mobo. Don't worry about getting faster/better ram, with this platform RAM doesn't play a role in overclocking.
Corsair HX650 PSU
Corsair is one of the best brands in quality PSUs, the HX series is modular to save you the headache. 650 watts gives you the room for future SLI/CF.
EVGA GTX 560 TI LIFETIME WARRANTY
A reference card, with a lifetime warranty. If you want a cooler/quieter card you will loose the warranty, as other cards have a 2/3 yr.
Samsung F3
Best bang for your buck HDD.
DVD burner

This costs 870$, witch leaves you with 230$ for case/cooler. (or if you cheap out on case/cooler you could squeeze an SSD in)

You have plenty of cases to choose from. The cases I am showing are just some examples of good cases.
HAF 922
HAF 932
NZXT Phantoms
And Any of the LanLis depending on how much you want to spend.This area is highly opinionated, and you need to choose what look you like.

Cooling, again, with your ambition, I would go with the number 1 air cooler, the Noctua D14.
A cheaper more conservative cooler would be the Corsair A70

So, depending on your choices of case/cooler your budget will be gone. Feel free to ask if any questions/concerns.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do you plan on ordering it all online? If not, you might be able to find a decent deal on SB at Microcenter (westbury NY?) which could divert money to other items. But, I'd go the whole 2500k/8gb ddr3-1600/Z68 chipset (yes, in case discrete gpu fails)/sata dvd/650w seasonic based psu/2x1tb samsung f3 in raid (or two wd caviar black), or get SSD/HDD with intel smart response from Z68.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you're going for 5GHz, you should get a board with decent phase design. Also, don't expect all 2500K's to reach 5GHz...some chips OC better or worse than others. Hopefully, you get lucky with one that is nice on the voltage.

This is what I'd suggest.

CASE:

CM 690 II Advance CM 690 II Advance
...go for the $88 free ship option from Amazon on right.

MOBO: Asus P8P67-M PRO ..one of the better mATX boards for high OCing.
CPU+GPU: 2500K + MSI GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1.35V 1600
SSD: Crucial M4 64GB
HDD: Samsung F3 1TB
DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST
COOLER: Corsair H50....check stores. Want Air? Noctua NH-D14

PSUs:
Seasonic S12 520W...$20 off ends today.
XFX 650W XXX Semi-Modular
Seasonic M12's
Corsair HX 650

All of that should be around the $1100 mark depending on what you choose.

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the 5GHZ was just a odd number I guess. I know not all chips will hit 5GHZ what ever it hits it hits. Thanks for the Opinions on everything. Im going to piece something together & then I will list up what im thinking from your guys's options before ordering.

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
if you live near a microcenter i highly recommend you go to one. I got my P8P67 Pro & 2500K for about $320 which is a steal!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega329
View Post

First, realistically you won't be getting 5ghz out of just any chip.
Second, usually people can get 4.7-4.8 on air with the D14 (90$ cooler)

Although you prefer mATX, they often lack in the VRM/Phase department, and in some cases lack certain voltage controls. Due to your ambitious clock of 5GHZ I would choose an ATX board with plenty juice.

Intel i5 2500k + Asus P8P67 Pro
Reasons,you stated this rig is for gaming only, in witch case a 2600k with HT would be useless. Second, as far as brands go, I think Gigabyte/Asus have the most reliable boards at the moment. The choose the Pro version because it is an excellent board with UEFI and SLI/CF capabilities for resale value or change of heart. (witch only adds 10$ to the price).
4GB of G.Skill DDR3 1600 cas8 RAM.
Great reliable ram, also blue to match mobo. Don't worry about getting faster/better ram, with this platform RAM doesn't play a role in overclocking.
Corsair HX650 PSU
Corsair is one of the best brands in quality PSUs, the HX series is modular to save you the headache. 650 watts gives you the room for future SLI/CF.
EVGA GTX 560 TI LIFETIME WARRANTY
A reference card, with a lifetime warranty. If you want a cooler/quieter card you will loose the warranty, as other cards have a 2/3 yr.
Samsung F3
Best bang for your buck HDD.
DVD burner

This costs 870$, witch leaves you with 230$ for case/cooler. (or if you cheap out on case/cooler you could squeeze an SSD in)

You have plenty of cases to choose from. The cases I am showing are just some examples of good cases.
HAF 922
HAF 932
NZXT Phantoms
And Any of the LanLis depending on how much you want to spend.This area is highly opinionated, and you need to choose what look you like.

Cooling, again, with your ambition, I would go with the number 1 air cooler, the Noctua D14.
A cheaper more conservative cooler would be the Corsair A70

So, depending on your choices of case/cooler your budget will be gone. Feel free to ask if any questions/concerns.

Nice build +1

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I got my sig rig for 1200, SSD included. The GTX 460 was 215ish when I bought everything, and you can get a GTX 560 Ti for that price now. On the other hand, they had a killer deal for the PSU I got which I dont think is available anymore (saved about $50 I think). It is also very close to what others have suggested here. Just play around with it to fit the brands you want, and $320 for a P8P67 and 2500K is a STEAL if you live near MC (I don't unfortunately). Also, that was with Win 7 64 bit included, but no keyboard/mouse/monitor.

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1. Cooler Master CM690 Advanced

2. SpinPoint F3 1TB

3. EVGA GTX 560 Ti 1GB

4. CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W

5. G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

6. Thermaltake Frio

7. Intel Core i5-2500K + ASUS P8P67 PRO

8. ASUS DRW-24B1ST

Total: $992.92

The reason for the PSU change was because I dont care if its Modular or not. I do not mind taking the time to cable manage to save some cost.

I changed to the Frio instead of the Hyper 212 + x2 120mm Fans. It saves another 17.00. Unless the Frio isnt worth it.

·
Premium Member
10,836 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think if you want to improve it much more , buy Vertex 3 and for data buy F3 2TB hard drive... also regarding CPU FAN... instead trying to improve the hyper 212+ , just buy noctua NH-d14 and that's it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts