Overclock.net banner

Build me a system that will last

1546 Views 42 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  Lyric
Ok, I am going to buy a new computer in a bout roughly 2 weeks.
I haven't really been on top of technology so I don't know what's the best on the market right now.
Things to consider
-Mainly to play video games
-Some video rendering/editing.

Money really isn't a problem, there is no limit.
I want something that will be "really" nice and a little future proof.
Thanks guys.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
er..... to last eh? Mostly gaming?? Some encoding? Get a PS3. It can play, serve, act as o.S., fold, encode video REALLY REALLY fast (when optimized). And will last a lot longer than most graphics cards.
I have a PS3, if I was asking for console advise I would have done so
, thanks though.
See less See more
It don't matter, I am no fanboy, whichever will give me the best performance.
core i7 965 with trifire.

or the fastest phenom 2 oced at 4ghz with 4890x2 octofire
See less See more
Don't know you bugdet yet. Sometime, extra few hundres may just gains few percentages of performance so here is a basic list.

E8400.
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P.
Xig S1283 with bracket.
2X2GB DDR2 ram. (GSKill PI 1000 or PK 1066)
WD 640AAKS
HD4850 (up to 22" LCD)
Corsair 550vx.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo23451 View Post
do you need a computer case air cool or water
intel i7 920
evga classified
gtx 285 in sli or tri sli
ocz ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227381
corsair 850 watt
antec 1200 for air
Cooler Master for w/c
Yes I would like a nice case to go with it, also I am air cooling, since I go laning every blue moon.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by linskingdom View Post
Don't know you bugdet yet. Sometime, extra few hundres may just gains few percentages of performance so here is a basic list.

E8400.
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P.
Xig S1283 with bracket.
WD 640AAKS
HD4850 (up to 22" LCD)
Corsair 550vx.
There really is no budget, I am not planning on setting a new record on how much I can spend on a PC but I would like something that will be nice!
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by RaCeR123 View Post
Yes I would like a nice case to go with it, also I am air cooling, since I go laning every blue moon.
ok cool i added sites and everything now
i would go 920 cause u can over clock it to 4ghz
See less See more
For the case, get an Antec 900 - good air cooling, plenty of space, but not too big to take to LANs
This is tough to do. I know you say there is no budget, but there is a point of diminishing returns. Also, money means different things to different people, soo what you think is no big deal may be to someone else. I would put a general price, even if it is under $5K or something like that.

Also, it is almost impossible to but a PC that will last. For many of the same reasons as above: last can mean different things to different people. Getting 8-12 months out of a PC means it lasted, lol.

So, what is the max you are willing to spend and what type of time frame do you expect to get from a new PC.

edit: also, are you looking for everything or just a tower.
I went from my Opty 165 939, 2 x 1 DDR400 ram and DFI LP SLI DR

to my i7 920, 3 x 1 gb 1600mhz DDR3 on Asus P6T Deluxe

And I am pretty Freakin Happy right now!

did not get a chance to test any of my games, but on XP pro 32 bit seems to Fly!

My 750 Watt PSU that I bought is DOA apparently, so i am using my 600 watt OCZ.
Ok let me try to answer most of the questions and answers in one post.

I think I will go with the Core i7 920 since it seems to be the best performance and has lots of overclocking potential.

I haven't made up my mind for the rest of the parts yet.
Memory - are 4gb enough? or should I go with 6-8gb for extra performance.
Case - I think I want to go away from the Antec 900 - 1200. I have the Antec 900 right now, as much as I like it, I think I am ready to move on to something more slick looking.
Graphics Card - Which is better right now Nvidia or Ati? I will most likely SLI/CF them.
HD - Looking to get 2 or maybe more to put into raid0 for the extra speed and then get a big probably around 1tb HD to put movies, files.. etc. on there.

As for the budget, let's say under $4K. I don't see a need in spending more than that, don't even think I will spend close to $4K anyways. As for future proofing, I am looking for something that will be able to play the latest games for 1 to 2 years.

P.S. - Any suggestions on good monitors? Not looking for anything HUGE but something nice.
See less See more
OK here is what I have picked out. Let me know what you guys think and suggestions on better parts.

CPU - Intel Core i7 920

Motherboard - ASUS P6T6

Memory - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB)

GPU - 2 EVGA GeForce GTX 285 SLI

HD - Raid0 - Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB x2
Storage - Western 1TB

PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W

Case - COOLER MASTER RC-690

DVD Burner - Samsung 22X DVD Burner x2

Soundcard - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

So now I just want to look for a nice monitor that would go well with this build, just nothing too big.

Also for the raid0, should I get an external floppy drive along with it? Since you need to install them for raid0. I am going to install Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit edition on there, or will that work with a USB Stick?
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by linskingdom
View Post

E8400.
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P.
Xig S1283 with bracket.
WD 640AAKS
HD4850 (up to 22" LCD)
Corsair 550vx.

Pretty much. Well, Ide get a Q6600 over the E8400 since Duo cores have been around for roughly 3 years now and that wouldn't be exactly.. 'futureproof'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaCeR123
View Post

OK here is what I have picked out. Let me know what you guys think and suggestions on better parts.

CPU - Intel Core i7 920

Motherboard - ASUS P6T6

Memory - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB)

GPU - 2 EVGA GeForce GTX 285 SLI

HD - Raid0 - Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB x2
Storage - Western 1TB

PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W

Case - COOLER MASTER RC-690

DVD Burner - Samsung 22X DVD Burner x2

Soundcard - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

So now I just want to look for a nice monitor that would go well with this build, just nothing too big.

Also for the raid0, should I get an external floppy drive along with it? Since you need to install them for raid0. I am going to install Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit edition on there, or will that work with a USB Stick?

Um, you don't need a floppy drive. I believe vista already has the drivers, and from experience all you do is press a certain shortcut on bootup to set it up.

good choice on the p6t, it's a great board.
See less See more
Ok let's hope so then. I have raid set up right now and Vista won't recognize it right away without the right nvidia raid drivers.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371009

I would personally go for a modular PSU. Otherwise great choices! Be fair warned, lan party+CM690=headache lol. I have one, love it to bits, but heavy. Mind you if you only lan rarely, its moved easily. As for your other parts, looks pretty spiffy. I would ditch the sound card and get a blue-ray drive, and dont forget you need cooling! Take the stock fans out of the 690 and get yourself some Scythe S-Flex fans and a TRUE, and you will be all set! Happy building! Wish I was able to spend that kind of cash on a speed machine, lol.
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.