Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specs are in my sig rig, I want to cool my nb, cpu, and 4870x2, and i want to be able to push some overclocking pretty hard. Also, I am able to get this because my wife is tired of all of the fan noise, so if you would please keep that in mind i would appreciate it.

Thanks!

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BADFASTBUSA
View Post

Specs are in my sig rig, I want to cool my nb, cpu, and 4870x2, and i want to be able to push some overclocking pretty hard. Also, I am able to get this because my wife is tired of all of the fan noise, so if you would please keep that in mind i would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Your post is very presumptious.

It's like asking smneone to pick out a new suit for you. You could end up with this:

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
You don't need to cool your northbridge, and doing so will require the purchase of a pair of MOSFET coolers and a southbridge cooler. The P6T was definitely not designed for easy removal of that big cooler.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpm666 View Post
RX360

MCP 355

DDC Top

Apogee XT

And for the X2 I would recommend an XSPC Razor 4870X2 Full Coverage Block.
rpm has basically everything covered.

But if you want the absolute best. Go for the PA120.3 Rad. If budget is lower, the MCR320 is great bang for buck rad.

If you're wanting to cool the nb (which isn't necessary really, just have a 40mm fan blowing over it), you'll need to buy a mosfet block as well since the two are interconnected. You can always dremel and break the heatpipe.. but not many people are willing to do that.

Mosfet block

Here is a universal nb block for the nb if you're wanting to cool it

Universal northbridge block.

or a full cover block

Full cover block

Then of course.. you'll still need tubings, barbs/ compression fittings or res/t-line.

EDIT: oh and i almost forgot about fans. You can use yates loons for a low budget build, or if budget is higher. I recommend the 1850rpm gentle typhoons. I have three of those and they are amazingly quiet for the amount of air they push

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Thanks!

hi well i have one mosfet unused it is the long one i think cause i don't want to remove that one and maybe i dont remove both so if you want u can buy it from me.these are made for x58 chipset for p6t deluxe

my definitive answer will be Saturday
cause then i am going to install everything.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have also thought about the ocz cryo-z phase system...

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrysisForever View Post
that's very stylish i'll have you know, I own 10 of those outfits.

LOL, I now have $550 to spend, and my computer has been moved so I don't have to worry about my wife griping about the noise anymore.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I suggest getting CyberDruid's external Rad mount, and also pick up his custom pump bracket. Check my build log for pics. They are GREAT let me tell you.

Res: $40 Dual Bay Res or $45 for this one

Rad: $94.95 XSPC RX360

Pump: $76.95 Swiftech 655

CPU: $84.95 Heatkiller Waterblock

GPU: $147.25 Full coverage 4870x2 Waterblock

Tubing: $30 Feser 1/2" UV Green

1/2" Barbs

Clamps

Total: $474.10 or $479.10 depending on the reservoir which leaves you money left over in your budget after spending ~$10-$15 in Barbs + Clamps.

Check my build log for ideas. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcichetti
View Post

I suggest getting CyberDruid's external Rad mount, and also pick up his custom pump bracket. Check my build log for pics. They are GREAT let me tell you.

Res: $40 Dual Bay Res or $45 for this one

Rad: $94.95 XSPC RX360

Pump: $76.95 Swiftech 655

CPU: $84.95 Heatkiller Waterblock

GPU: $147.25 Full coverage 4870x2 Waterblock

Tubing: $30 Feser 1/2" UV Green

1/2" Barbs

Clamps

Total: $474.10 or $479.10 depending on the reservoir which leaves you money left over in your budget after spending ~$10-$15 in Barbs + Clamps.

Check my build log for ideas. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the build suggestion man! So that is the build that will render the best results? I can spend a little extra if needed but like i said, i only want to do this once so i want the best parts the first time.

·
Registered
514 Posts
That build doesn't include fans. You'll have to budget another 35-40$ for 3 nice fans, or about 20$ for not as nice ones. Also you need a fan controller if you don't have one, but it looks like you have some scythes hooked up so you might already have it. Barbs and clamps are another ~15$ along with your anti-microbial solution (silver or PTNuke).

A D0 at 1.4v and a 4870x2 with any kind of over clock may be at the limits of an RX360 btw so look around to see what others are using for that kind of heat output.

As others have stated, cooling the chipset on an X58 board is pretty much worthless. Unless you're doing extreme overclocking you have no need for it. The integrated memory controller on the i7 makes the NB not really do all that much work. Reseating the heatsink with quality thermal compound and possible sticking a small fan on it is all you'll really need.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will be cooling my graphics card as well which will be clocked to it's limits, and possibly getting another 4870 to go with this for trifire which will also need to bee cooled, any ideas on which is the best radiator for all of this? I have been eyeballing that huge 4 fan fesser.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I will be cooling my graphics card as well which will be clocked to it's limits, and possibly getting another 4870 to go with this for trifire which will also need to bee cooled, any ideas on which is the best radiator for all of this? I have been eyeballing that huge 4 fan fesser.

You are going to need 2 loops if you want good temps with 2x4870x2's and an i7 at 4.4ghz.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Double your price range and you can cool 2x4870x2 and the i7 at 1.4-1.5v. Whether or not it's worth it, that's up to you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts