Overclock.net banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Hey all, finally gotten around to overclocking the CPU properly. I kinda ran into an annoying wall.. My CPU in all it's glory hits 100 degrees and throttles during Prime95 Small FFT when at 1.34, even at 1.2v it hits about 80. Other tests like Aida64 and Prime95 blend test, the CPU doesn't go over 70 at 1.34v. Am I doing something wrong? Is it time to delid and run naked?
redface.gif

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,531 Posts
Most recommend against the use of Prime95 with Haswell and Devil's Canyon processors. Something about how it runs so insanely hot yet isn't really a good measure of stability of one's overclock.

• Rep+
Reactions: REAPER XD

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,531 Posts
Not a problem. I wouldn't mind at least delidding my 4770K at some point to see if I can get better temperatures. Sure a better cooler always helps, but delidding provides the biggest improvements (or even running naked, but I'll wait until I have watercooling for that)

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by REAPER XD View Post

Yea, and I wont be risking anything. I'll be using EK's naked ivy mount kit, as it works for Haswell too and stops the nut from turning at the right pressure.
Well then, that's definitely interesting to know. I have a suspicion I'll be waiting on doing precisely that now
tongue.gif
(aka instead of delidding I'll save up and get the naked kit with all the other watercooling stuffs)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimDoctor View Post

Looking good mate! Good to see another Aussie builder
thumb.gif
Thank you
smile.gif
I still have to call a metal fabricator because I don't want to mount my HDD and SSD on plastic, and need to find someone that can do a good job on cutting a side window. I don't have much skill with a jigsaw and I'm more than sure I wont cut it straight. Thanks for viewing!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I'm new to LC and I just wanted to ask, with the radiators, why the Coolstream over the XTX?
Planning my cooling and I'm not sure on the difference other than price.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimDoctor View Post

I'm new to LC and I just wanted to ask, with the radiators, why the Coolstream over the XTX?
Planning my cooling and I'm not sure on the difference other than price.
The XTX offers greater performance, and I took a risk buying the Coolstream PE because there were actually no reviews on it. This choice was purely on aesthetics. I love the look of the PE and it performs better than I could have asked.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Quote:

The XTX offers greater performance, and I took a risk buying the Coolstream PE because there were actually no reviews on it. This choice was purely on aesthetics. I love the look of the PE and it performs better than I could have asked.
Awesome, thanks for the info
thumb.gif

·
Registered
922 Posts
smile.gif
Quote:

i7 4790K stable 4.8GHz @ 1.332v. I like! 942 score on Cinebench
smile.gif

http://valid.x86.fr/am5rm6

Fine tuning tomorrow, and stay tuned for side panel windows coming soon
thumb.gif
drool.gif

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Alright another little update, overclocking the graphics card, I flashed with a modded BIOS to allow higher voltages. Because of Nvidia adding LLC (load line calibration) 1.212v would be 1.182-4v and 1.187v (stock) would be about 1.156v. Going to higher voltages brought me very minimal improvements, going on about 130MHz offset instead of 115MHz on the core and about 10 - 20 MHz higher on the memory. So finally I have settled on an overclock of 1201 and memory of 6906MHz. Benchmarks of fully overclocked system soon!

Also, thinking of backing down the CPU to 4.7GHz to keep it under 1.33v... Need input and advice on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

smile.gif

drool.gif
More to come!
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Benchmarks as promised!!

For Crysis 2, I used a benchmarking program called Adrenaline, and I chose the map Central Park (last area in the game) and recorded the FPS from there. All settings are maxed out.

Crysis 2 - AVG FPS - 110.03

Tomb Raider 2013, used the included Benchmark

MIN - 46FPS
MAX - 80FPS
AVG - 63.3FPS

Crysis 3

AVG - 63 FPS

Battlefield 3

AVG - 89 FPS

3DMark 11

FireStrike

41 - 60 of 97 Posts