Overclock.net banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I'm back! And I've got good news for you guys. I have drawn sketches of the custom mounting, and they look promising.

I need advice on which order the SSD and HDD will be placed. Here are the pictures!

Next update very soon
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Plans have come to life, and to be honest, even though it isn't the best I feel quite proud, mind you I've never had any previous CASE modding before, so I'll show you the pictures
smile.gif

How the HDD and SSD will go

Preparing to drain the system.. I had an extremely difficult time doing this. Mainly because I never though the drainage through, but after some tedious minutes I finally had it drained.

The plate in.. And it JUST fits.. Like I mean by 0.1mm. I had to squish the top down because of the fan mount, that I didn't realise would interfere, but it fits nicely. Also drilled the mounting holes down the side.

SSD finally on.

I had a brain wave for the HDD. They all run hot, so why not use spare thermal pads and make the WHOLE thing a heatsink?! I think it's quite cleaver and efficient!

Everything finally on

Have a Merry Christmas everyone! Courtesy of TSM for smashing a great deal for the plate and a free tree decor!

More follows, I still need to rivet the plate in, cut a window, and make a PSU shroud. Then I'm done, for maybe a few months
biggrin.gif
Thanks for viewing!

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,124 Posts
That's awesome
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xioros View Post

That's awesome
biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraklis19871 View Post

Subbed, NZTX cases rock. My next one will be for sure from this company.

Cheers

Iraklis
Thanks guys! I'm not sure when I'll be riveting the plate, but it will be soon. Do you think I should spray the fittings white? Not sure if it will suit, but at the same time it could be perfect.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Hey all! I went to Bunnings today and bought myself a new rivet gun and some black rivets to suit. I also bought a 3.5mm drill bit to widen the holes for the rivets. Riveting went smoothly, and the thermal pads on the HDD made great contact with the metal. There's absolutely NO vibrations coming from the HDD either. And cooling for the plate was a complementary from the front 200mm fan. HDD sits about 10-15 degrees cooler now! Both the SSD and HDD are at 32 degrees.

It also seems like I didn't clean out the radiators properly.. Which I actually put great care into doing. While draining the loop, I found tiny metal fibers and residue coupled with gunk in a couple of the tubes.. So that is a no go. Used a sift to clean out the stored fluid from draining which didn't do much and I saw a bunch of metal at the bottom of the bottle. So I need to do a complete flush in about a month after I come back from holidays. Here are the photos!

Hope you enjoyed! Next big update will include the side panel being cut or the acrylic PSU shroud
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Hey all, I'm back to finish things off (even though things will never be done
rolleyes.gif
) I need to replace the white coolant in the loop, should I go with the pastel white again or go ahead with Mayhem's XT-1 red? Which one do you think would look best? If none, which colour coolant do you think would look best?

Thank you all
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameswalt1 View Post

I vote for a non-pastel, the XT red sounds good
Thanks for that! Seems like I'll be trying a new colour, hope it looks good! Do you think I should use red, white or no LEDs to light my blocks?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by REAPER XD View Post

Hey all, I'm back to finish things off (even though things will never be done
rolleyes.gif
) I need to replace the white coolant in the loop, should I go with the pastel white again or go ahead with Mayhem's XT-1 red? Which one do you think would look best? If none, which colour coolant do you think would look best?
Thank you all
smile.gif
Pastel white FTW!
thumb.gif

·
Computer Art
3,579 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for that! Seems like I'll be trying a new colour, hope it looks good! Do you think I should use red, white or no LEDs to light my blocks?
I'm a big fan of block lights - white for sure. I personally treat any light color, other than white, like kryptonite. Colored lighting just ruins a build.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

Pastel white FTW!
thumb.gif
Thanks for your suggestion! I think I might try something new, it's quite inexpensive to change back if it's that bad
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameswalt1 View Post

I'm a big fan of block lights - white for sure. I personally treat any light color, other than white, like kryptonite. Colored lighting just ruins a build.
Great! I'll make the order sometime this week!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Update!

My preferred store just starting stocking the EK Pastel White, what perfect timing! The LEDs will have to wait though, I ordered extra tubing (feel like i need to redo a couple of them) and MX4 thermal paste. AS5 is good and all, but curing is a pain. Bought an XSPC T-Fitting, going on putting that on the bottom radiator (because my old drainage system was utter crap). Plan on finally getting the side panel cut the plastic shroud finally made. Will be showing pictures of the loop being emptied and my hard time doing so AND disassembling every piece of watercooling gear to give a thorough wash down. Stay tuned!
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Update!!
biggrin.gif

Drained the loop, but with the stupid as drainage system I managed to wet the PSU, meaing I had to open and ruined 5 years warranty... Oh well such is life. Anyways, here are the pictures!

Set up and about to drain..

Yup stupid drainage.

Sorry for the blurry picture, but that's the computer tipped to get the liquid out...

All cleaned...

Filled and bled
biggrin.gif

Thanks for tuning in.. To be honest this case is growing on me and I'm having thoughts of replacing it.. :/ IF I decide to go on with my thoughts, I'm thinking of Corsairs 780T case.. What do you guys think?

Thanks
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Hey all, I know it's been a while since the last update, but I have finally managed to call a few places near me and found one that can do a perfect cut in the side panel.

I was planning on doing laser cutting, but later found out that it could ruin the paint and be more expensive, so I turned to a relatively new method called waterjet. 55-60,000 PSI water being shot into metal to cut it. Cool right?
biggrin.gif

So if all goes to plan, it should be done in 3 weeks. I also got a brand new DSLR, learning to use it but expect half decent pictures, that aren't trash like the current ones I have :c
rolleyes.gif

Thanks all
smile.gif
smile.gif

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:

Hey all, I know it's been a while since the last update, but I have finally managed to call a few places near me and found one that can do a perfect cut in the side panel.

I was planning on doing laser cutting, but later found out that it could ruin the paint and be more expensive, so I turned to a relatively new method called waterjet. 55-60,000 PSI water being shot into metal to cut it. Cool right?
biggrin.gif

So if all goes to plan, it should be done in 3 weeks. I also got a brand new DSLR, learning to use it but expect half decent pictures, that aren't trash like the current ones I have :c
rolleyes.gif

Thanks all
smile.gif
smile.gif
Sounds good (and expensive
tongue.gif
). I'm wondering how laser ruins the paint but super-high-pressure water doesn't?

61 - 80 of 97 Posts