Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this but I have not been following cpu/motherboard scene or anything for that matter for a long time so I don't know what is good and what is not:

CPU: FX-8320
Motherboard : ASUS M5A99FX PRO (Don't know why this but its the one i saw that people buy the most with 8320 so I picked it) I won't sli/crossfire
Ram: http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1333MHz-KHX1333C9D3B1K2-8G/dp/B004DDI0IE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395441048&sr=8-1&keywords=ddr3+ram
cheapest I have found don't know anything about ram so link me please if you there is better.
Video card: Already have a 5850 will be using until I upgrade later
Case: HAF 912 I like to cable manage and I heard this is a good case for it.
PSU: Don't know
SSD: Getting the crusial 256gb for $110
Monitor: Already have 1900x1080 24"
OS: Already have

I want to keep this around $600.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc2142 View Post

I was thinking about this but I have not been following cpu/motherboard scene or anything for that matter for a long time so I don't know what is good and what is not:

CPU: FX-8320
Motherboard : ASUS M5A99FX PRO (Don't know why this but its the one i saw that people buy the most with 8320 so I picked it) I won't sli/crossfire
Ram: http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1333MHz-KHX1333C9D3B1K2-8G/dp/B004DDI0IE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395441048&sr=8-1&keywords=ddr3+ram
cheapest I have found don't know anything about ram so link me please if you there is better.
Video card: Already have a 5850 will be using until I upgrade later
Case: HAF 912 I like to cable manage and I heard this is a good case for it.
PSU: Don't know
SSD: Getting the crusial 256gb for $110
Monitor: Already have 1900x1080 24"
OS: Already have

I want to keep this around $600.
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Urban 21 BOM ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $519.94
Any questions just ask. Save up to get a better video card later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
You could go cheaper with the FX 6300, 6320,6350 with the Asus 990x evo board. but if not your CPU/Mobo combo is pretty decent. you need to get a better cpu cooler, and i would suggest the Cooler Master 212 Evo, its around $30 and is going to be better than the stock cooler, but it cant be used for really huge overclocks.

for a power supply i would suggest the rosewill capstone line as they offer good performance for a really good price, and there is modular variants as well.

and for cases check out these reviews on youtube and you can get an idea of whats out there and what to look for in a case. I linked a playlist of HardwareCanucks chassis reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLknCNmc8uMa4w2kK5ybqLWss2tS3I2VNo

Also dont forget about storage, pick up a 1tb HHD to store all your games and stuff for $50, and if money is getting tight my suggestion would be to forgo the SSD (sorry if that makes people mad) but they will only become cheaper as time progresses and can be added in a system.

oh and if you are looking for a pretty decent GPU thats more budget oriented i would suggest getting the 750ti
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You both suggested things from rosewill. I thought they don't make quality things like PSU and case. Thats my impression from 3-4 years ago when I built my last pc have they changed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
the rosewill capstone is based on the super flower golden green if im not mistaken

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5698/rosewill-capstone-450w-and-650w-80plus-gold

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=266

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-CAPSTONE-550M-Power-Supply-Review/1584

I run it in my personal rig (750m) and i have nothing but good things to say about it, for the 750w it has all japanese caps, 80+ gold, modular, silent, the finish looks pretty nice in person
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc2142 View Post

You both suggested things from rosewill. I thought they don't make quality things like PSU and case. Thats my impression from 3-4 years ago when I built my last pc have they changed?
Everyone build some crap and some build some excellent products. Rosewill is at both ends. The Capstone, Tachyon and Lightning are all excellent units. The one we've suggested to you is a Superflower Golden Green underneath the shell.

*EDIT*
They also make some pretty good cases, when you get into the higher end full towers though. Their full towers are on-par with Coolermasters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
if you really dont like rosewill, they have other people make the internals and they just rebrand and sell them, it is Newegg's in house brand
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

Everyone build some crap and some build some excellent products. Rosewill is at both ends. The Capstone, Tachyon and Lightning are all excellent units. The one we've suggested to you is a Superflower Golden Green underneath the shell.

*EDIT*
They also make some pretty good cases, when you get into the higher end full towers though. Their full towers are on-par with Coolermasters.
Yeah what he said haha!
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also 450W is enough? even if I get a higher end video card for this system down the road?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc2142 View Post

Also 450W is enough? even if I get a higher end video card for this system down the road?
Should be, if you want to go higher, go for the 550W version. Depends on how high end your planning on going, 770, should be enough. 780, maybe not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
I would vote getting 650w, that would give you enough headroom to overclock your cpu, and to run a good single card down the road. Heck is go for the best power supply that you could afford
smile.gif


That's just my opinion, going overkill on a psu is never a bad investment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra-m-a-n View Post

I would vote getting 650w, that would give you enough headroom to overclock your cpu, and to run a good single card down the road. Heck is go for the best power supply that you could afford
smile.gif


That's just my opinion, going overkill on a psu is never a bad investment.
I know some people who would disagree with you, but not me. You never know when you wanna go sli/crossfire. Heck I thought I was gunna be happy with an HD7950, now I'm onto two custom, one-off GTX 770's.
If you only want 1 GPU, 550W, 650W if you plan on over-volting cpu and gpu. For 2 GPU's, 850W, just to be safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok So this is what I have:

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Urban 21 BOM ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

looks good? future proof?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

I know some people who would disagree with you, but not me. You never know when you wanna go sli/crossfire. Heck I thought I was gunna be happy with an HD7950, now I'm onto two custom, one-off GTX 770's.
If you only want 1 GPU, 550W, 650W if you plan on over-volting cpu and gpu. For 2 GPU's, 850W, just to be safe.
Yeah i expect power supplies to live years through hardware changes, I have a 750w cause my bugdet was strictly $120 and under, and my planned upgrades won't be with 2 cards
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc2142 View Post

ok So this is what I have:

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Urban 21 BOM ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

looks good? future proof?
Nope, nothing is futureproof.
Should last you like 3-4 years depending though. After you get something like a GTX 760 or 770.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You think I should go for one of intels 4770k if I want it to last more than 4 years? or not worth it?

He won't be playing hard core games and he never really max graphics out he just wants to play all games at a decent setting with no lags.
 

·
New to OCN?
Joined
·
26,919 Posts
It`s hard to tell what would be future proof or not,because we dont know the future,if the games will be optimized for multi-threads or better with more ipc or HT,an fx 8320 is only a good cpu in games which are optimized for multithreads,and intel where the games needs more speed than cores.

The only thing i am sure is futureproof is a 6cores intel processor(either lga1366 or lga2011)
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top