Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my Mom a new computer since she just got hi-speed internet for the first time. I already have DDR3 4GB Ballistix she can use and an OCZ power supply. I need suggestions for the other equipment:

Tentative additions:

Lian Li PC-A05NB ATX Mid tower
Samsung DVD Burner
WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM
Samsung S22B150N 21.5" LED Monitor
Asus P8H61-M LE/CSM R2.0 LGA 1155 H61 Micro ATX Mobo
QCK Mini mousepad
Intellimouse
i3-3220
W7 Home 64-bit

Comes to about $600.

Any better components or ideas about lowering the cost feel free. I think she'd like the Lian-Li towers and I don't want her to go W8.

·
What should be here ?
6,045 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Maybe save a bit by grabbing a Pentium instead of an i3. I guess I don't know exactly what she'll be doing with the PC, but I highly doubt she will have need for the HT of the i3.

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyboardXpert View Post

It's difficult to put a full Windows install on a 64GB and have any reasonable amount of space left.
Here's the build I would do, I can trim the cost as you please.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/EbDs
You've obviously never installed Windows on a 64GB SSD then. I have Windows 7 Pro x64, Office 2007, Photoshop CS6 and quite a few other smaller programs on my 60GB Force and have over 10GB free.

I've had W7 installations on 30 & 40GB SSDs as well, with no issue. An actual Windows 7 install takes up at most 12GB~. Unless you want all your games on it/have no other drives to store data on, 60GB is more than enough. Especially in this case.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinWaffle View Post

You've obviously never installed Windows on a 64GB SSD then. I have Windows 7 Pro x64, Office 2007, Photoshop CS6 and quite a few other smaller programs on my 60GB Force and have over 10GB free.

I've had W7 installations on 30 & 40GB SSDs as well, with no issue. An actual Windows 7 install takes up at most 12GB~. Unless you want all your games on it/have no other drives to store data on, 60GB is more than enough. Especially in this case.
Well, Professional is probably less of a hog than Home Premium. My Home Premium installation takes up 30GB. That was a pretty quick assumption to make, in fact it almost sounded mean. Please, do not scorn me. Couldn't you just have said Windows 7 only takes up 12 gig, edit the partpicker link and be done with it?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyboardXpert View Post

Well, Professional is probably less of a hog than Home Premium. My Home Premium installation takes up 30GB. That was a pretty quick assumption to make, in fact it almost sounded mean. Please, do not scorn me. Couldn't you just have said Windows 7 only takes up 12 gig, edit the partpicker link and be done with it?
I dont think he meant it to be mean , just a kinda FYI this is what happened with me , dont think it was meant belittling at all.

·
Registered
594 Posts

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,586 Posts
Rosewill Line-M Case
Go for an APU rather than Intel
And probably a Caviar Blue 1TB
I forget the exact model, but the single platter one will be perfect.

Other than that looks solid.
I dont see what all the hooplah is for putting an SSD in basic use computers.
Im guessing we could stick an old first gen i3 in there and it would still be lightyears faster than what she is using right now so an SSD is just adding complexity of use to a simple machine for the sake of speed that isnt really needed.
I suppose if you can find a good deal on a 64GB you can go for that, but you would end up needing a storage drive too for pictures, documents, and the downloads folder and recycle bin she probably never bothers to clean out.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
she is not gamer or a video editor or even torrenting anime like me for example 2TB of anime and torrenting movies like 2 TB, she is mostly browsing net
So 120GB will Be super enough
Also the SSD is the most felt upgrade for every user everyone will tell you that , Adding from 4GB to 8gb ram not going to give that boost , or upgrading cpu from i3 to i5 or i7 not going to feel that,

In windows and opening browser then opening files copy paste etc... restarting installing software even formatting or installing windows all that will be Speeded up with SSD amazingly your entire windows experience will be speeded up prove why in all small Business note book designs like Zenbook from asus and MAcbook air from apple , they put SSD ? it is not for size it is for the speed, because for low price and business user he want to feel snappy experience he dont care about multi tasking so dont need much ram and don't run heavy applications so dont need cpu all he need is a super boot up and shutdown installing files copy paste cut etc... browsing your pc

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fido View Post

she is gamer or a video editor or even torrenting anime like me for example 2TB of anime and torrenting movies like 2 TB, she is mostly browsing net
So 120GB will Be super enough
Also the SSD is the most felt upgrade for every user everyone will tell you that , Adding from 4GB to 8gb ram not going to give that boost , or upgrading cpu from i3 to i5 or i7 not going to feel that,

In windows and opening browser then opening files copy paste etc... restarting installing software even formatting or installing windows all that will be Speeded up with SSD amazingly your entire windows experience will be speeded up prove why in all small Business note book designs like Zenbook from asus and MAcbook air from apple , they put SSD ? it is not for size it is for the speed, because for low price and business user he want to feel snappy experience he dont care about multi tasking so dont need much ram and don't run heavy applications so dont need cpu all he need is a super boot up and shutdown installing files copy paste cut etc... browsing your pc
I agree, but we have to balance things too.
We don't know how much media she deals with, or how good she is at general upkeep on her machine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts