Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So after several years, I am finally upgrading my grandpa FX-8320. I've decided to go with 2700X. I'll be gaming and video editing. I will be using a stock cooler in the beginning, later on, I will change probably to Schyte Ninja 5.

The one thing I need help with is a motherboard choice. Currently, I have Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 which is very good, before I had gigabyte which I did not like much. What are the top recommendations for a mobo? Is Crosshair VII Hero really worth the money or are there any better choices for a lower price?

What about RAM? Is 3200cl14 kit still the best choice for Ryzen or should I go with something else?

I will buy 960 Evo instead of 860 Evo because the price difference is just 40€ (140 vs 180).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
RAM: G.Skill TrindentZ RGB for AMD, 3200cl14, 16GB
MOBO: ?? Asus Rog Strix X470-F Gaming ?? || Other availiable motherboards
SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB

Everything else will be used from the current build in my description.
Thanks for the help.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,837 Posts
Might as well save those 40 euros because the 960 is not faster then the 860 out in the real world
There is almost nothing that can or uses the faster speeds of NVME due to software limitations so dont bother with NVME

If you are using Linux then its another story because there are no software limitations to hold NVME back with Linux
Save those 40 euros and spend them on something else instead

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was almost 100% decided about SSD but you have a point. Fewer cables would be nice and maybe I would see a little improvement in 4K video editing, but a passive cooler would be needed for the 960 Evo, which is around 15-20€.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,837 Posts
You can get the 860 Evo in M.2 form as well as 2,5 inch SATA if you dont want cables
The 860 Evo uses the older AHCI protocole where the 960 Evo uses the newer NVME protocole which almost nothing can or does take advantage of

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, I completely forgot about those, do they also overheat sometimes as 960s do?

·
Senior OCN Member
39,837 Posts
I dont know anything about the temps on the 860 Evo in M.2 form so sory
I have owned a ton of 2,5 inch SSD´s and they have never gotten very hot so i cant imagine they would get super hot in M.2 form

But again i dont know that for sure

Edit: not trying to be rude or anything like that but i saw you had a Phanteks P400 case so are you aware that the P400 has horrible air flow?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately, I am aware of this problem, I wish I knew it before buying the case. But that's a different story.
I am still confused about the motherboard pick. I feel like I don't need the CH VII but not sure about other opinions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts