Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11900k, 4000mhz 15-16-16-36, 3090 ftw3 ultra, 3 firecuda 520 2tb, 2 4tb firecuda 120, aorus z590 XWF
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Here is the build:
MB: Evga P55v
Chip: i3-540
Ram: OCZ Special Ops Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model
Vcard: Evga 9600 gt
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Ok here is the problem, When I go to install win 7, and it go throw everything and reboots come to completing the install, it almost gets done, but the screen goes black and will not finish.
I have resetted the ram, CPU, and Vcard. Wiggles the Sata connections and have tried to install on 2 different HDs to see if maybe one was bad but same on everything.

And suggestions?
Darkshadow74

Thank you for your help and time.

·
Premium Member
7,013 Posts
Might be a bad HDD or incorrect HDD controller settings in the BIOS.

·
Chackie Jan
3,226 Posts
I had an issue similar to this(actually...exactly the same as this) a looong time ago and it, for some reason, wouldn't accept windows' graphics drivers so I took out the video card and used a different one and it would install that way.

EDIT: I'm not POSITIVE that it was graphics drivers causing the problem but I know it was related to my video card. As I could not install with one video card but I could with another.

·
Registered
11900k, 4000mhz 15-16-16-36, 3090 ftw3 ultra, 3 firecuda 520 2tb, 2 4tb firecuda 120, aorus z590 XWF
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I know the 2nd HD I am trying to use now is good, it came from a computer that is running at 100%, so I am using it to get the stuff in then will try again on the other. but I will try another vcard. I only have like 6 or 7 with all the computers I have lol. Could it be my PSU is to small with everything listed plus 2 dvd roms. That wouldnt take that much would it?

·
Chackie Jan
3,226 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkshadow74
View Post

well I know the 2nd HD I am trying to use now is good, it came from a computer that is running at 100%, so I am using it to get the stuff in then will try again on the other. but I will try another vcard. I only have like 6 or 7 with all the computers I have lol. Could it be my PSU is to small with everything listed plus 2 dvd roms. That wouldnt take that much would it?

Nah, your PSU is fine.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
This system with a 9600 GT in it would only require maybe a quality 350W unit at the most. But you have a quality 500W.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by K10
View Post

Nah, your PSU is fine.

Just fine? It's overkill!

EDIT: Nvm I was looking at his sig rig.

As I said, will it take a different OS? Is it just Win7 or is it anything?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LAF
View Post

Just fine? It's overkill!

EDIT: Nvm I was looking at his sig rig.

As I said, will it take a different OS? Is it just Win7 or is it anything?

No you're right: it's overkill. It only has a 9600 GT in it.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah this build is for my father. my sig rig is mine. but this one is stumping me. After I try this other Vcard if it doesnt take I will try a Win Xp I have and see if its just win 7.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah lol, change that card out for an old MSI 9600gt and it went right through. So I have the same vcard and the other hard drive meant for the build in now trying to see if I get the same results. checking on the card to see if it will work on win 7. god I hope so, hate to have to use this old card for his build.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkshadow74
View Post

Yeah lol, change that card out for an old MSI 9600gt and it went right through. So I have the same vcard and the other hard drive meant for the build in now trying to see if I get the same results. checking on the card to see if it will work on win 7. god I hope so, hate to have to use this old card for his build.

That's strange because I was just about to suggest that it might be a bad video card.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i hope not, on this buidl I have had a bad MB and Ram. And he isnt happy with this build as of right now, been working on it for him going on 2 weeks since ordering and RMA. I keep telling him that sometimes it like this. But he has always just bought those outdated models off the walmart shelf. And I built this one for like 50$ more if that. but he is impatient.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Is the optical drive on a different SATA controller as the hard drive? Cuz, you know, they need to be.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtyworks
View Post

Is the optical drive on a different SATA controller as the hard drive? Cuz, you know, they need to be.

Whoa wait a sec.. why? You might help improve my system here.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
please be honest here. did he run win 7 befor and did a clean install?? or running a cracked version of win7 etc.. now that he got it all nice wantred to just start with a clean install and make it final??? i hope you understand what i mean!!! the reason i am asking, is i do or did this clean install with out actervating then did it again, and my os did not want to work or install at all. i have posted this befor on another thread. i think that MS writes on the hdd boot section to make it void in some way and that you need to get a new hadd do the install there and formate the old hdd wo\\ith a regestered version to make it work again. inother words win7 locks it as such. i know what i said is a bit far fetched , but you can never know.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by levontraut
View Post

please be honest here. did he run win 7 befor and did a clean install?? or running a cracked version of win7 etc.. now that he got it all nice wantred to just start with a clean install and make it final??? i hope you understand what i mean!!! the reason i am asking, is i do or did this clean install with out actervating then did it again, and my os did not want to work or install at all. i have posted this befor on another thread. i think that MS writes on the hdd boot section to make it void in some way and that you need to get a new hadd do the install there and formate the old hdd wo\\ith a regestered version to make it work again. inother words win7 locks it as such. i know what i said is a bit far fetched , but you can never know.

I've never experienced this before though, so it may have been caused by something else.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
tbh, it has happened a good few times with me. and the funny part is i do actualy have a genuine version of win7 64 ultimate. i do a lot of testing and all so i find it stupid to activate it the whole time. as i probably do reinsatlls 2 to 3 times a wekk trying out diffrent hard drive configs and diffrent hard dirves as well. my most resent hard drive config has been raid 1.0 with 6 X wd black very fast and nice but the onboad controler can not handle the load. and i run win 7 on it and game on it. LoL. but my rating or windows experiance went from 5.9 to 6.2 hehehehehehehe the rest was at 7.4

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by levontraut
View Post

tbh, it has happened a good few times with me. and the funny part is i do actualy have a genuine version of win7 64 ultimate. i do a lot of testing and all so i find it stupid to activate it the whole time. as i probably do reinsatlls 2 to 3 times a wekk trying out diffrent hard drive configs and diffrent hard dirves as well. my most resent hard drive config has been raid 1.0 with 6 X wd black very fast and nice but the onboad controler can not handle the load. and i run win 7 on it and game on it. LoL. but my rating or windows experiance went from 5.9 to 6.2 hehehehehehehe the rest was at 7.4

Are you also using the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver v9.6? I sure hope so. I only found out an hour ago how awesome it is (first hand, I mean).

Anyway, I've reinstalled Windows 7 on the same drive numerous times without any problems. I always do it the same way each time: I boot from the DVD, choose the "Custom (advanced)" installation, enable "Drive options (advanced)", and then click Delete, New, and then Format. Except as of very recently, I now skip that and just begin the entire process with DiskPart so I can properly align my solid state drive. And so then I install Windows 7 after that (again, booting from the DVD).

I can always do it as often as I want with a successful activation each and every time.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

Whoa wait a sec.. why? You might help improve my system here.

It isn't as important when the system is actually running, but when installing Windows it needs to be. I ran into this issue twice- Once with a room mates PC and once with a clan mates (from Combat Arms).

Both of them spent +6 hours wondering why Windows just would not install. The first one, room mates PC, as a last resort we plugged the HDD into SATA 1 and the ODD into SATA 6 and it worked flawlessly.

However, it may help in regular system function. The 2 won't get their signals mixed up with eachother. I suspect is why I get 120mb transfer speeds between drives when the data is going from controller 1 to controller 2 and 90mb transfer speeds between drives on the same controller- and all my drives are the same model, from the same batch.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.