Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possible? Is it worth it? Just wondering if it is the same with desktop having 1000$ prebuild computer only worth 400-500$ of components...

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Possible, yes. Worth it, no.

• Rep+
Reactions: Just a nickname

·
Registered
368 Posts
haha yeah.

laptops dont have the same range of standard sizes. everything in a laptop shell must comply spacially with the motherboard and processor etc. so unless you could find a retailer to make one shell, and make different things to go in it that you could buy separately and thus make your own, but then that would be like buying a sony vaio only in kit form! haha

basically for this reason there is no real market for it.

I mean yeah some companies have a "build ur own laptop" thing but thats because they supply several shells matched up power supplies and motherboards and then ask what you want put on the boards ie cpu, ram, hdd. all of which you can theoretically change on most laptops anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Not even close to worth it for any but the highest-end gaming laptops, and even then it's at best negligible savings unless you're getting used components that came out in the past year. And then you don't have a warranty.

Best option is to customize a laptop however you want it somewhere like http://xoticpc.com

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,705 Posts
I suggest just going to some place like Malibal.com and customizing your own laptop there.

It's the cheapest deal yet.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Ive looked into it very recently, it doesn't seem to fly...

I found a site called rjtech.com that sells Barebones Clevos that Malibal/Sager/Etc... build for you. By the time you buy the laptop, the cpu/ram/hardrive/network card etc... It ends up a wash compared to the others. Imglidinhere has the right idea. It would be awesome to do, and pretty easy, but cost wise and warranty wise its worth it to go with a prebuilt from what I have found...

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Best way to go about it is by buying laptops for parts of ebay, and mix and match components while buying some necessary components new (or used, but screens, mobos, other things are hard to buy used).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.