Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a build I recently built into a Phanteks Evolv ATX (mid-tower) but I'm considering getting a new motherboard (mATX) and building into a mATX case (i.e. Fractal Node 804 maybe?). I mostly am a gamer, and I put the PC on top of my desk. I definitely like my PC to be portable, since I move it around a bit, but I also like performance (I overclock my gear), so I don't want to give up much performance with a smaller radiator.

Do you guys think full towers are getting phased out slowly, as-well as mid towers, as PC tech market shifts towards small/thinner electronics, kind of like what happened with cellphones? It seems like a lot of PC builders are building into cube cases or mATX/mITX cases now. Do any of you think maybe I could just opt. for a smaller mid-tower?, or should I go mATX? (I don't use any HDDs, nor optical drives, nor sound cards)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
No, I don't think it is getting phased out. If you look around you will see that the most popular cases bought and manufactured are ATX. The next in line is ITX. mATX is actually and literally speaking a middle child, the one that doesn't get any attention despite it is the most practically solution of both worlds, most people don't even SLI/Corssfire.

If you want to go portable go ITX. I would suggest the Define S nano.

for mATX, I would wait to see what CoolerMaster has to offer for the Mastercase 3, as that series comes with handles.

·
Watercooled Railgun
4,630 Posts
IMO, "big" computers are definitely not being phased out, it's just a matter of "what you want to do" instead. Most small builds are geared towards casual users, but even these small builds will have a really hard time to do any of the heavy lifting stuff (4K gaming, VR), for which the components cannot fit on most small spaces.

Each form factor serves a specific need, more popular does not mean more useful.

If you definitely do not want to SLI/Xfire nor do heavy CPU calculations that require more than 6 physical cores, definitely go mITX. IF not, mATX is the best format for people who still need power (X79/X99 CPUs + SLI/Xfire) and portability (cases like the SG09/SG10).

• Rep+
Reactions: TheEnergy
1 - 3 of 3 Posts