Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building my 1st home theater and I've got a $1000 budget. Right now I'm looking at a Onkyo 608 receiver, Onkyo 870 speakers, and Onkyo BD-SP807 Blu Ray Player. I'm considering adding another subwoofer to add a little more punch to it, but considering that I'm a novice, any advice/tweeks would be appreciated.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Onkyo had a serious issue last year with the HDMI card in the 6xx series crapping out due to the excessive heat that their receivers put off. My 606 slow died in an infuriating HDMI fit of non-synching and degraded output. My friends 605 died in 4 months.

They did add a fan to the 608 so YMMV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot. I"m going to dig into your suggestions now. I plan on having my "Man-Cave" ready by next weekend!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I ended up in a pinch (no cash) (needed HDMI up-scaling) and bought a YAMAHA RX-V765

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...MAHA%20RX-V765

Basically the same as the 606 that I had. It sounds "bright" or "clearer" to me, but I think that is because the channel separation is a lot better. The On Screen Setup leaves a bit to be desired compared to the Onkyo's though.

The RC260 looks awfully tempting... Just need to find a way to keep it cool if it run as hot as the previous models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is killing me because I'm really leaning towards the 608. The majority of the reviews are awesome. Plus, with your advice in mind I'm probably going to buy some kind of fan to help keep it cool. Any thoughts on if adding a Onkyo 204 subwoofer is overkill or a nice touch?

·
Registered
610 Posts
You should be fine with the sub that comes with the 870... For starters anyhow. Just play with room placement on the sub until you find the sweet spot and you should be happy.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
TX-SR608 is what compares to the HT-RC260.

HT-RC260 has a few features that do not matter and is 100 bucks cheaper, plus it is about 6 months old tech!!

HT-RC260 comes with a fan

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1251436

Onkyo is better then the Yamaha in every aspect....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I'm going to see how this works out. Now, I've got to pull up my carpet so that my wife doesn't kill me with all of the wires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts