Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically im building a computer.
i want to know if this graphics card is good and how far it may be able to overclock.

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/...ationId=921144

I would also wanna know if there are better alternatives about the same price and if the higher clocked one here (http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/...ationId=921085) is worth it for an extra hundred bux.
Also.. any aftermarket coolers fit on these guns yet? if so is it worth getting one? or is the stock one sufficient for some good overclocks.
Thx heaps
abz out.

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
well, there is an ever on going debate claiming that some core's are binned better for the overclocked cards...

I would like to lean towards this idea with the G80 (8800GTX/GTS) cards...

So if you decide to go with a card that ships with standard clocks, it my not overclock as high as a card that is factory overclocked...

I have this card...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150215

It is factory overclocked and it runs at 65C idle and can sometimes get to 82c gaming...

The standard card will run cooler than this card does for sure...

Is the 100mhz oc worth $100? to most probably not...

If you do overclock any of the G80 cards, i would recommend good air flow in your case, the thing gets hot real fast if its not ventilated properly...

I'm actually going to tie my card into my water cooing loop to help it out some more and to see if i can get more out of the card...

You can overclock the standard card, but its not guaranteed to get to a specific mhz... If you want the faster card get that one. The improvement in the oc cards is visible, but not real necessary for DX9 games... the 8800's already play most DX9 games fully maxed with no problem... pared with a core 2 that is...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how about the differences in memory. say for example i got a 320mb one and then compared that with a 640mb one? would it be worth an extra ~130/140$ for the extra 320mb? or not really?
ill most likely overclock them but i want to know how well they can overclock.

im a bit strapped for cash which sucks but i will manage somehow.
thanks

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
THe 320mb version is the same card as the 640mb version... Except for the memory difference...

So, there really shouldn't be much of a difference. Most benches show the 320 card like 2-3 frames behind the 640 card...

So if you don't have the funds for the 640mb card you will not be loosing much performance... There will be some Ultra high setting in some games that just wont work with the 320mb card that you need huge amounts of vram to run... other than that, your fine...

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
If you have the money, I'd say go with the 640mb just to know you have that extra vram. Others will say, no you don't need that extra ram. Thats probably true in some cases, but that extra ram gives you that extra performance that you may need some day. Just my thought.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
the 640 makes a difference when you are gaming at higher resolutions. I bought an 8800gtx and i overclocked the core like 50mhz and the mem 240mhz. Generally they oc pretty well and i would say go witht the regular model. If you game at 1680 x 1050 or higher i would say spend the extra on the 640 get a normal clocked one and oc yourself to get the best bang for your buck.

·
ZFS
4,084 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wire View Post
If you have the money, I'd say go with the 640mb just to know you have that extra vram. Others will say, no you don't need that extra ram. Thats probably true in some cases, but that extra ram gives you that extra performance that you may need some day. Just my thought.
Want to explain better than just say that is your thought?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
i dont know if this is what he ment but if he chooses to upgrade his monitor or something in the future, the extra vram will definately help with higher resolution textures.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I use evga 8800 gts 640. It clocks very well and was decently priced. I bought mine in pieces. First I bought the 7950 GTKO, but traded it because it wasnt a directX 10 card. So I picked up the 8600 GT, but that card wasnt good enough for my games so I got the 320mb. Again not enough if running a high resoulution like mine. So again I swapped it out for the 8800 GTS 640mb and have been happy ever since

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
i think for the average joe 8800gts-320 will work just fine,like i have a 19ws mon.and in the near future ill get a 22ws,but i dont know for sure but ill keep res.down so i can still use the 320,is this possible and any thoughts on what i had to say any one agree

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha thx guys. I ended up going with the 640mb extreme one. gonna do some overclocking soon on everything.. i got a Q6600 WOOT lol
anyways thx for ur help.. anyone recommend some good monitoring software?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I would consider either card but I have seen 320 meg cards beat out 640 mb cards even at high resolutions. Here is a benchmark showing the most demanding game thats been put out and you can see a 320 meg card beating a 640 version.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4716&s=6

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
the 640mb version has more bandwith and at higher resolutions it will run better. if you have a monitor larger than 24' go with the 640mb other wise the 320mb version will be just fine.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacegoast
View Post

the 640mb version has more bandwith and at higher resolutions it will run better. if you have a monitor larger than 24' go with the 640mb other wise the 320mb version will be just fine.

I think in general thats true but when you go through the various makers and versions you will find this can vary. My point is get a PNY card and compare it to an XFX card and Im sure you can see what im getting at. I would really like to see all the overclocked cards bench together.

MSI EVGA BFG XFX maybe even Gigabyte.

Oh and no crap about how they are stock. I want to see how well they are when you really start to push overclocking on them.

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
but my 8800gts 320mb scores a pretty damn good score. 12904 on default settings. lots of overclocking and tweaking 631/2000(efective) core/mem

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy56
View Post

I think in general thats true but when you go through the various makers and versions you will find this can vary. My point is get a PNY card and compare it to an XFX card and Im sure you can see what im getting at. I would really like to see all the overclocked cards bench together.

MSI EVGA BFG XFX maybe even Gigabyte.

Oh and no crap about how they are stock. I want to see how well they are when you really start to push overclocking on them.

point taken. thanks for clearin that up. i would only stick to evga, xfx or bfg anyway. benching them together would be nice to. i would like to see that myself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts