Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the near future i am planning on building a new system. These are the main specs.
Gigabyte K8N pro-sli Nvidia nForce 4 SLI MCPS PCI-E Chipset.
AMD 64-939 x2 Dual Core 4200+
200gb W.D Hard Drive
2x Nvidia 7800 gt (sli)
Shaw 550 watt deluxe atx
LG DVD -+rW, cd rom, fdd and all the other stuff.

What i would like to know is if this configuration would work well or not. Any suggestions on the specs will be helpfull.

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
Looks like a good rig but i would change 2 things being the mobo to a asus or dfi brand, gigabite is not the best when it come to overclocking so i have heard; and as for the psu dont know that brand name but i would change to a seasonsic 600w, antiec truecontrol 550w, ocz 520w or 600w, or if ya got the money pc power and cooling 510w.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not planning on overclocking so the motherboards should be ok then. I will consider another psu as you suggested.

·
OG
1,622 Posts
Don't get 1.5 gigs of ram.Get two 1 gig of ram and run them in dual channel(better performance).I would suggest getting an AMD 4400x2 instead of a 4200 cause it has more cache and its built on a better core.If you don't have enough money for the 4400x2 then I suggest dropping one of the 7800 GT's and then pick up another one down the road.
hope that helps.

Edit=I would still get a different motherboard if I were you preferably Asus if you don't wanna overclock too much.

·
OG
1,622 Posts
Sorry for the double post but try and pick up a 550 watt sunbeam nuo i've heard great things about them or if you prefer seasonic they are also very good psu's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for your help. At the moment the Dual Core 4200+ is the best value but later down the trak the 4400+ should be better value so i will consider it. I would consider getting 2gb of ram but 1 gig sticks cost a lot at the moment so 512 mb sticks are better value.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts