Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to get Plex out off of my main gaming rig and build a NAS with Plex on it. This is so that I won't need to run my gaming rig (which uses a lot of power) 24/7 to save electricity. I'm new to creating a NAS but I know it'll be easy to set this up. The hard part is choosing the right components to buy. I was originally planning on going with a 2- or 4-bay Synology NAS but I'm reading that I can get a lot more power (for less) if I create my own. I want this to be a bang-for-the-buck build but with enough power to do Plex. Can you guys stir me in the right direction? Any initila hardware suggestions to consider?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I decided to get Plex out off of my main gaming rig and build a NAS with Plex on it. This is so that I won't need to run my gaming rig (which uses a lot of power) 24/7 to save electricity. I'm new to creating a NAS but I know it'll be easy to set this up. The hard part is choosing the right components to buy. I was originally planning on going with a 2- or 4-bay Synology NAS but I'm reading that I can get a lot more power (for less) if I create my own. I want this to be a bang-for-the-buck build but with enough power to do Plex. Can you guys stir me in the right direction? Any initila hardware suggestions to consider?
Depends on how you intend to play media:

1. No transcoding at all or 1 or 2 1080p transcodes at most or if running Plex on a different machine and you just need storage: Easiest would be the Synology route. This is what I run (in my case the transcoding happens on a different server since x265 -> x264 needs a lot of CPU and the media is stored on a DS416Play)

2. Do transcoding and store media in the same box: Depending on your media type and number of simultaneous transcodes, you may want a beefy CPU to do the heavy lifting and the disks to hold your media.

Simplest would be to use a nVidia Shield TV acting as a Plex client and a Synology just for storage (or an external drive connected to the shield tv also works but not as resilient to disk failures as the NAS).

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on how you intend to play media:

1. No transcoding at all or 1 or 2 1080p transcodes at most or if running Plex on a different machine and you just need storage: Easiest would be the Synology route. This is what I run (in my case the transcoding happens on a different server since x265 -> x264 needs a lot of CPU and the media is stored on a DS416Play)

2. Do transcoding and store media in the same box: Depending on your media type and number of simultaneous transcodes, you may want a beefy CPU to do the heavy lifting and the disks to hold your media.

Simplest would be to use a nVidia Shield TV acting as a Plex client and a Synology just for storage (or an external drive connected to the shield tv also works but not as resilient to disk failures as the NAS).
When I'm at home everything is setup for direct play (so no transcoding) through my Roku 4 media player (Plex app installed) connected to my TV. When I'm outside, I aim for direct play but sometimes I can't avoid transcoding because of slow Internet connection on some places. But yes, 1 or 2 1080p transcoded streams max only.

I'm not aiming for the easy route actually. I'm aiming for a more practical way of having a NAS with electricity savings in mind. I use an 8700K on my main rig so if I have my Plex server installed there and do the transcoding then I lose the benefit of electricity savings.

I have all my series/movie files converted to mp4 and optimized for Plex streaming before Plex even picks them up. So that's one processing power to consider for the CPU.

In your 2nd suggestion, if the NVIDIA Shield TV is the plex client and Synology as the storage, which would be the Plex server that does the transcoding?

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I'm at home everything is setup for direct play (so no transcoding) through my Roku 4 media player (Plex app installed) connected to my TV. When I'm outside, I aim for direct play but sometimes I can't avoid transcoding because of slow Internet connection on some places. But yes, 1 or 2 1080p transcoded streams max only.

I'm not aiming for the easy route actually. I'm aiming for a more practical way of having a NAS with electricity savings in mind. I use an 8700K on my main rig so if I have my Plex server installed there and do the transcoding then I lose the benefit of electricity savings.

I have all my series/movie files converted to mp4 and optimized for Plex streaming before Plex even picks them up. So that's one processing power to consider for the CPU.

In your 2nd suggestion, if the NVIDIA Shield TV is the plex client and Synology as the storage, which would be the Plex server that does the transcoding?
In my case, I use a Dell server as a ESXi host that runs Plex VM among others.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my case, I use a Dell server as a ESXi host that runs Plex VM among others.
Ok, thanks.

@All

Anybody else have any ideas here?

·
BOINC Cruncher
1,861 Posts
I don't use Plex, I prefer Kodi...I don't need transcoding. My Nas has an i3 that can stream a blu-ray lossless rip while crunching World Community Grid on all 4 threads without any problem...with only a 35w TDP.

An i3 has more power than anything in a Synology.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts