Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit to reflect new developments:

Thread necro time.

Finally worked everything out and am actually going to order this soon, my final build, after much swapping around, is as follows:

RAM: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/2GB-(...S-7-7-7-15-18V
PSU: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/450W-...-year-Warranty
HDD: 6x http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/15TB-...ache-89-ms-NCQ
Case: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Coole...r-Case-w-o-PSU
Mobo: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asus-...board-Graphics
CPU: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/AMD-A...che-45W-Retail

Any last minute changes that would be reccomended?

----
Old Post:

I want to build a NAS rig. I'm looking at getting three 1.5TiB drives in RAID5, so I have 3TiB of space to back up to. I'm presuming that an AMD rig would be better for the low-performance requirements.

However, I've been out of the building game for a while now, due to not having any money, and really don't know what I should look for.

I'm looking to run Linux on it, onboard graphics as it'll be headless most of the time, and not too much power as it simply won't need it. Small and quiet is better.

Maximum price is around £500-600 with the drives, as any more than that and it becomes significantly cheaper to buy a pre-built one. Obviously, the less cash the better.

If I can't build one for that price, or a pre-built NAS device will do better, then do tell me what one you'd reccomend.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Any AM3 785G board (I prefer Gigabyte)
Athlon II X2 240e
2x1GB DDR3
Cooler Master Centurion 590/Antec 300
Corsair VX450/CX400
3x1.5TB WD Caviar Green (somewhat slower than normal drives, but lower power)

I don't know where you plan on buying from, so I can't give you any links, but if you specify a store I'll see if I can refine this further for you

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmx+
View Post

Athlon II X2 240e
2x1GB DDR3
Corsair VX450/CX400

I don't know where you plan on buying from, so I can't give you any links, but if you specify a store I'll see if I can refine this further for you

I have a very similar setup for my server, and it is working out very well.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmx+
View Post

Athlon II X2 240e
2x1GB DDR3
Corsair VX450/CX400

Cheers for the advice. I tend to buy from ebuyer and scan.
And yeah, No need for fast drives, it's for backups, so I don't need superfast speed.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bumping this back up as I'm now looking to buy (Christmas money
).

Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H
AMD Athlon II X2 240e
2GB (2x1GB) SuperTalent DDR3 PC3-8500
450W Corsair CMPSU-450VXUK
Antec Three Hundred
And three of:
Samsung HD154UI
or
Western Digital WD15EADS

Now, unfortunately, I've been reading around, and it seems the samsung drive has high failure rates, and the WD drive doesn't like being put in RAID arrays.

So any ideas on what my best bet is on getting 3TB of data with some kind of redundancy with linux software RAID (or a RAID controller if one is cheap enough)?

·
Registered
429 Posts
With WD drives you can turn on TLER and disable some of the energy saving features to make it RAID friendly (look up wdidle and tler)

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
Nah, buy a used P3/P4 box, and a nice big tower case and a new PSU. Add a sata raid card and fill it with drives.
Mine's a dual Xeon 1700 server tower I got from Ebay for 30 quid, I upped the memory a bit, added an extra NIC, and now it does file server duties as well as network portal and security duties.

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by allikat
View Post

Nah, buy a used P3/P4 box, and a nice big tower case and a new PSU. Add a sata raid card and fill it with drives.

Very cheap nowadays, a lot of people will give away P3 servers (they think they are useless, what nubs they are).

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
Yep, I also have a dual P3 1400 rackmount, with 2GB of memory and dual gigabit nics, and 2x36GB drives, got that for 20 quid, and it will be running a dedicated MW4 server when the free release comes out on win2k AS.
Sadly that case is a 1u and it's too small to fit extra drives.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd prefer to build a new rig than using old hardware. I have got this set up at the moment, any last minute changes anyone would reccomend?

Ideally, it'd be £50 cheaper, but so it is.

That's also the cheapest DDR3 RAM anyone seems to have in stock. It's weird.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimibgood
View Post

Can you put these size drives in Raid????

Yes sir!

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimibgood
View Post

Can you put these size drives in Raid????

You can put any sized drive into a RAID array.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
You may want to get some sort of dedicated raid 5 card if you are setting up a raid 5. The write times on software/motherboard raid 5 are generally pretty brutal, usually averaging around 15MB/s. However those cards cost around $200USD +.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman
View Post

You may want to get some sort of dedicated raid 5 card if you are setting up a raid 5. The write times on software/motherboard raid 5 are generally pretty brutal, usually averaging around 15MB/s. However those cards cost around $200USD +.

From what I have read, Linux software RAID is actually pretty good. As it is a decent machine I'll be running it on, I don't see there being a problem with speeds (especially as it is primarily backup, which really doesn't need super-fast writes). And Linux software RAID has other advantages.

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
Linux software raid IS very good indeed, but I'd be seriously tempted to put a 100-200GB drive in there, just to boot/run the OS from, could be some old PATA/IDE drive you have lying around. Just don't boot the OS from the raid array, it causes no end of annoyances, even if it's a hardware raid that's invisible to the OS.
You will also have trouble if your swap partition ends up on the array, /swap really doesn't like being on a raid array, it will give you all sorts of odd errors that will cause headaches and sleepless nights.
That solution also keeps all your lovely fast sata drives for your data.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by allikat
View Post

Linux software raid IS very good indeed, but I'd be seriously tempted to put a 100-200GB drive in there, just to boot/run the OS from, could be some old PATA/IDE drive you have lying around. Just don't boot the OS from the raid array, it causes no end of annoyances, even if it's a hardware raid that's invisible to the OS.
You will also have trouble if your swap partition ends up on the array, /swap really doesn't like being on a raid array, it will give you all sorts of odd errors that will cause headaches and sleepless nights.
That solution also keeps all your lovely fast sata drives for your data.

If I had such an item laying around. I was thinking about this problem, and will see what I can scrounge up.

But overall the build looks solid?

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
Build looks very solid.
You could get away with any drive over 40GB to be honest, since all you're putting on there is the OS/apps and swap, and a server doesn't need a lot of apps.
It doesn't even need to be that fast either, you want a decent sized swap partition say 4GB, but with 2GB of memory it won't be using it much. You just want it for suspend/hibernates and stability (Linux prefers to have a swap, even if it will never, ever use it).

40GB drive, 4GB of swap, 1GB /boot leaves a usable 30GB or so for your OS. Which should be plenty.

Extra item: Webmin rules for remote management of linux servers, I LOVE IT

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by allikat View Post
Build looks very solid.
You could get away with any drive over 40GB to be honest, since all you're putting on there is the OS/apps and swap, and a server doesn't need a lot of apps.
It doesn't even need to be that fast either, you want a decent sized swap partition say 4GB, but with 2GB of memory it won't be using it much. You just want it for suspend/hibernates and stability (Linux prefers to have a swap, even if it will never, ever use it).

40GB drive, 4GB of swap, 1GB /boot leaves a usable 30GB or so for your OS. Which should be plenty.

Extra item: Webmin rules for remote management of linux servers, I LOVE IT

Heh, that's what SSH is for.

But yeah, I should be able to set up the build fine. It's just getting the money together. Already overbudget, add in that it seems impossible to find any DDR3 RAM under £70, not got myself a drive to swap in in case of a crash (will get one when I can, and this is a backup machine, so it's not desparate right now, hopefully no failures too soon), and not got a boot drive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts