Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to build a rig with equal or greater performance to my sig rig desktop. Mostly, having problem picking a new graphics card. I want to stick with Nvidia, since the 7 series just came out. What 7 series Nvidia card is going to be equal to or greater than my existing 660TI SLI configuration. Looking to not break the bank. If it is not cost effective, please suggest a decent graphics card that I can use in my current rig, and I will just bring my GPUs over.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The only upgrade worthy of switching from a 660TI SLI configuration would be a 780.

In all reality here is how the cards break down:

780 is a Titan that has been neutered. Same performance gaming but no compute power.

770 = 680, only difference performance wise is a better clock. Several 680's can be flashed with 770 firmware even.

760 is slightly less performance than a 670, almost negligible really.

660TI SLI benchmarks are at times better than a 680. Performance of a single card is usually always better though as far as game support, stuttering, etc.

So to sum it up: 660TI SLI is better than a 680 which is the same as a 770. Go for 780 or keep your current setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye071292 View Post

I am looking to build a rig with equal or greater performance to my sig rig desktop. Mostly, having problem picking a new graphics card. I want to stick with Nvidia, since the 7 series just came out. What 7 series Nvidia card is going to be equal to or greater than my existing 660TI SLI configuration. Looking to not break the bank. If it is not cost effective, please suggest a decent graphics card that I can use in my current rig, and I will just bring my GPUs over.

Thanks!
I'm not completely understanding your other request though. Above is my GPU recommendation, are you wanting a CPU recommendation also?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by benben84 View Post

The only upgrade worthy of switching from a 660TI SLI configuration would be a 780.

In all reality here is how the cards break down:

780 is a Titan that has been neutered. Same performance gaming but no compute power.

770 = 680, only difference performance wise is a better clock. Several 680's can be flashed with 770 firmware even.

760 is slightly less performance than a 670, almost negligible really.

660TI SLI benchmarks are at times better than a 680. Performance of a single card is usually always better though as far as game support, stuttering, etc.

So to sum it up: 660TI SLI is better than a 680 which is the same as a 770. Go for 780 or keep your current setup.
What would be a decently cheap card to throw in my current desktop? Like a single 650 or something?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Honestly I don't really know. If it's web browsing and flash gaming it doesn't need to be much. What will be the old rig's purpose when you have your new one?
I cant decide if I want to sell the entire desktop (with a new video card) or try and part out most of it .

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Quote:

I cant decide if I want to sell the entire desktop (with a new video card) or try and part out most of it.
Well if you are just wanting to sell it outright, the best thing to do would be to find a used GPU that is cheap enough to stick in there and get it sold, anything will do.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Well if you are just wanting to sell it outright, the best thing to do would be to find a used GPU that is cheap enough to stick in there and get it sold, anything will do.
Thats what I am looking for. How low is low enough to sell it? I wouldnt go below 6 series probably unless I can get a high end 5 series to put in there.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Quote:

Thats what I am looking for. How low is low enough to sell it? I wouldnt go below 6 series probably unless I can get a high end 5 series to put in there.
You could always sell as is, no video card. most people have their own preference for those anyways. Might also check on craigslist and see what is available in your area.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Quote:

I'm not completely understanding your other request though. Above is my GPU recommendation, are you wanting a CPU recommendation also?
Wait what? 660 SLI almost always beat a single 680. Pretty handily at that. A 780 wouldn't be a signifcant upgrade, especially at that price. Unless he struggles with microstuttering, there's no reason to go from SLI 660's to any 700's. No card will offer a performance good enough to be worth it. OP, I'd suggest you to either wait for the AMD 9000 or wait for Nvidia's next gen. The 700's are really underwhelming.

Edit: Also, OP, the used 660's are almost worthless in today's game. Most definitely avoid the 780 unless you get it for cheap or SLI is a nightmare for you.

Edit 2: If you get a 780 you're gonna pay 600$ at least and you will not be impressed by the performance increase.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

You could always sell as is, no video card. most people have their own preference for those anyways. Might also check on craigslist and see what is available in your area.
I have tried to sell incomplete systems here and its been a pain. I sold my old desktop odds and ends for about what I paid for the upgrade parts for my current rig. But I was able to make it into a complete working system first. OS and all

·
Registered
786 Posts
Aside from possible space/heat/power and stuttering issues of sli, i do not see any major gains from going from dual 660ti's to a single card. While i know its a matter of preference id say you may even see a bigger gain going to a intel 4770k or 2011 socket cpu/platform and keeping the sli 660ti's. It also depends on what your playing and resolutions/# of screens. My understanding is the 760 is about 5% faster then a 660ti, and a 770 maybe a more substantial gain. Still hundreds of bux for a couple percentage increase may not be worth it GPU upgrade or otherwise. Personally i have a single 660ti and a 4770k, running a 1080p display and everything I play is at about 60fps full settings.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0CoolX View Post

Aside from possible space/heat/power and stuttering issues of sli, i do not see any major gains from going from dual 660ti's to a single card. While i know its a matter of preference id say you may even see a bigger gain going to a intel 4770k or 2011 socket cpu/platform and keeping the sli 660ti's. It also depends on what your playing and resolutions/# of screens. My understanding is the 760 is about 5% faster then a 660ti, and a 770 maybe a more substantial gain. Still hundreds of bux for a couple percentage increase may not be worth it GPU upgrade or otherwise. Personally i have a single 660ti and a 4770k, running a 1080p display and everything I play is at about 60fps full settings.
yea, the big thing was is I was unsure if I should sell my entire system as a whole, or part things out. After seeing the responses on this thread, I think I am going to part out my CPU/mobo/ram as a bundle if possible and pick up an i5 or i7 with a new board and some faster ram.

I have an Antec Kuhler 920 and I think I am going to swap to a Corsair H100i. Is that the best aftermarket CPU cooler atm other than a custom loop? Also, what is a good board to overclock the new intel chips? I was looking at this board unless there is a better one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131989

Pair that with some G. Skill 2400 ram

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0CoolX View Post

760 in sli is worse than 660ti/hd 7950 in sli/cfx by 2 percent in 50% +/- of games

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have an Antec Kuhler 920 and I think I am going to swap to a Corsair H100i. Is that the best aftermarket CPU cooler atm other than a custom loop? Also, what is a good board to overclock the new intel chips? I was looking at this board unless there is a better one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131989

Pair that with some G. Skill 2400 ram

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Nh d14, silverstone heligon he01 are cheap atm and performs as good as h100i and they are way cheaper tahn h100i you can add better quality fan to nh d14 and out perform thermalright silver arrow. Sb-e or phanteks tc14 pe.

There are 250. Usd i7 3770k at 250usd in micro center and difference in gaming is low vs i7 4770k there are msi z77 mpower at 170 in newegg

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Nh d14, silverstone heligon he01 are cheap atm and performs as good as h100i and they are way cheaper tahn h100i you can add better quality fan to nh d14 and out perform thermalright silver arrow. Sb-e or phanteks tc14 pe.

There are 250. Usd i7 3770k at 250usd in micro center and difference in gaming is low vs i7 4770k there are msi z77 mpower at 170 in newegg
Dont have a microcenter near me =/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts