Any suggestions?

·
Layer 8 issue
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by n1helix
View Post

you pretty much got it man, but get a better heatsink like Dark Knight or Mugen 2

Thanks for the fast reply.

I already have the Xigmatek on my list, I just didn't list it on here.

Another question, will an aftermarket 4870 cooler such as the accelero fit on a 4890?

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts

·
Layer 8 issue
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by n1helix
View Post

as for the aftermarket cooler, i think it will fit but i will block your other slots on the mobo

That's fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamikaze127
View Post

I don't know how picky you are about timings, but this Patriot kit is a great value.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220365

Not picky at all. Thanks for the suggestion

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by llama16
View Post

didn't know AMD had triple channel (no flaming plzzzzz)

They don't, but because of Core i7's influence on DDR3 prices, you can often get triple channel kits cheaper than dual channel ones.

EDIT:

Quote:

Originally Posted by .XiLe.
View Post

Not picky at all. Thanks for the suggestion

No problem, it's quite a bit cheaper while sacrificing slightly less performance. I also think it will compliment the 790FX-GD70's color scheme nicely.

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Also, just curious...would a high-end nVidia card be a better choice than an ATI?

Not right now. The HD4890 is within 10% of the GTX285 in most cases, while proving to be more than 10% cheaper.

Your motherboard chipset (790FX) also supports CrossFire only, so just more reason you should stick to the tried and true AMD/ATi combo.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
why a velociraptor?

frankly, i'd go with a caviar black of some sort... maybe 640/750 gigs... still very fast drives, but they have a lot more space for the $$$...

you could also consider getting a cheaper Phenom II BE (maybe the 940? not sure if the 940 is a BE though) and OCing it

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^
View Post

why a velociraptor?

frankly, i'd go with a caviar black of some sort... maybe 640/750 gigs... still very fast drives, but they have a lot more space for the $$$...

you could also consider getting a cheaper Phenom II BE (maybe the 940? not sure if the 940 is a BE though) and OCing it

He is using an AM3/DDR3 platform. The Phenom II 940 (which comes in a Black Edition btw) is AM2+/DDR2 only, therefore it would not work in this setup.

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Would it result in a significant performance loss if I went triple-core instead of quad-core?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103649

In gaming? The performance would be the same.

In video editing/benchmarks? The quad core would start to pull away.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts