Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-I haven't found a proper category for "general system builds", so I'm posting it to the most relevant category I found. Please move this thread if there is a proper place for it somewhere.-

I'm planning on building a brand new system for myself sometime mid/late 2016 and I'm starting to plan everything out. This is how it looks so far:

Location: EU, but I've got no problems with buying from anywhere
Budget: 2.000$
Components:
i7-6700k (significant overclocking planned)
Gigabyte GTX980 G1
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5
Samsung 850EVO 500GB
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16 or 32GB 2666MHz

Usage: Games, videoediting, programing (including 3D graphics)

Two things I'm unsure about and would appreciate any advice:

1) Is it worth it to get AIO watercooling or should I go with air? Noise isn't that much of an issue, I'd like to have my system quiet, but a few additional db won't hurt. Custom loops are a bit too expensive to my taste, but I've been thinking about the H110i GT/Noctua NH-D15. Or would you recommend something completely different?
2) What case to get, depending on the cooler? I'm looking for something with good airflow options, transparent side (preferably smooth transparent material, not a mesh) and if I go with watercooling, probably a topmount option.

Comments and suggestions for other components are welcome as well!
I know there is a lot in store for this year (Pascal, Zen, etc.), so things might change drastically depending on what comes out.
Thanks!

·
Old Guy
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldan View Post

-I haven't found a proper category for "general system builds", so I'm posting it to the most relevant category I found. Please move this thread if there is a proper place for it somewhere.-

I'm planning on building a brand new system for myself sometime mid/late 2016 and I'm starting to plan everything out. This is how it looks so far:

Location: EU, but I've got no problems with buying from anywhere
Budget: 2.000$
Components:
i7-6700k (significant overclocking planned)
Gigabyte GTX980 G1
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5
Samsung 850EVO 500GB
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16 or 32GB 2666MHz

Usage: Games, videoediting, programing (including 3D graphics)

Two things I'm unsure about and would appreciate any advice:

1) Is it worth it to get AIO watercooling or should I go with air? Noise isn't that much of an issue, I'd like to have my system quiet, but a few additional db won't hurt. Custom loops are a bit too expensive to my taste, but I've been thinking about the H110i GT/Noctua NH-D15. Or would you recommend something completely different?
2) What case to get, depending on the cooler? I'm looking for something with good airflow options, transparent side (preferably smooth transparent material, not a mesh) and if I go with watercooling, probably a topmount option.

Comments and suggestions for other components are welcome as well!
I know there is a lot in store for this year (Pascal, Zen, etc.), so things might change drastically depending on what comes out.

With the 5820k being cheaper I would go with it and a Giga SLI or something even better. With the price difference of the Chip you could get a good X99 mobo and a 6 core I7. As far as the memory I like the G-Skill ripjaws V myself but I am sure that Hyper would be fine too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog83 View Post

With the 5820k being cheaper I would go with it and a Giga SLI or something even better. With the price difference of the Chip you could get a good X99 mobo and a 6 core I7. As far as the memory I like the G-Skill ripjaws V myself but I am sure that Hyper would be fine too.
I don't really want to go into SLI, because it costs too much for too little added performance. If I had to go bigger, it would be the 980Ti, but I think I'll be fine with the 980.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundymania View Post

What about using an AIO, which you can upgrade later on, like the brandnew Swiftech kits ? They´re awesome !
http://www.swiftech.com/aio.aspx
They do look cool, I'll wait until there are some reviews and performance comparisons. Upgradability of the loop isn't exactly a need for me, I just need something that would cool well and be decently quiet.

·
Old Guy
4,371 Posts
Quote:

I don't really want to go into SLI, because it costs too much for too little added performance. If I had to go bigger, it would be the 980Ti, but I think I'll be fine with the 980.
They do look cool, I'll wait until there are some reviews and performance comparisons. Upgradability of the loop isn't exactly a need for me, I just need something that would cool well and be decently quiet.
The Giabyte x99 SLI is the name of the motherboard, you don't have to run SLI. It's a good board for a good price that was the point,

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennover View Post

For the case you could go with the Corsair Carbide Air 540. Excellent for water as well as air cooling:
http://www.corsair.com/en/carbide-series-air-540-high-airflow-atx-cube-case
I totally forgot about Corsair when going through cases. Yeah, I'll probably end up buying this one, or an Obsidian 450D/750D
Quote:

The Giabyte x99 SLI is the name of the motherboard, you don't have to run SLI. It's a good board for a good price that was the point
Sorry, my bad. I'm mostly looking for a board with good OC capabilities. No doubt this board is nice, but I've had great experience with Gigaybte's UD boards in the past and so I trust them more. Also, why buy an SLI-optimised board if not for SLI?
smile.gif

·
Old Guy
4,371 Posts
Quote:

I totally forgot about Corsair when going through cases. Yeah, I'll probably end up buying this one, or an Obsidian 450D/750D
Sorry, my bad. I'm mostly looking for a board with good OC capabilities. No doubt this board is nice, but I've had great experience with Gigaybte's UD boards in the past and so I trust them more. Also, why buy an SLI-optimised board if not for SLI?
smile.gif
I think we got our signals crossed. I was just suggesting that X99 might be a better way to go because for near the same amount of money you can get a 5820k which is a better CPU and an X99 mobo, any of them not just the SLI. It would out perform a Z170-6700k and not break the bank as. I think you got too focused on the random mobo I chose as opposed to the platform difference. Any X99 at a reasonable price would work. The ud3 and g1 gaming are both under $200 if you know where to look.

·
Filthy Casual
2,949 Posts
Sorry to turn this into a AIO cooling solutions thread, but honestly I'd recommend an EK kit cooler. They low-end are about the same price as the H100is and the high-end perform pretty well. I kinda wish I would have gone EK if I'd known they had simply AIO kit solutions.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/aio

or

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/kits

·
Senior OCN Member
40,424 Posts
You should ask a mod to move this thread to the Intel section.

As for cooling forget about those crappy CLC coolers.
Either get a good dual tower air cooler or get a good AIO cooler from either EK or Swiftech.

CLC coolers from the likes of Cooler Master / Corsair / NZXT are overrated overhyped overpriced loud and unreliable.

Last the PSU and RAM are both way overkill you dont need either a 750 watt PSU or 32 GB of RAM.

·
Old Guy
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Either get a good dual tower air cooler or get a good AIO cooler from either EK or Swiftech.

CLC coolers from the likes of Cooler Master / Corsair / NZXT are overrated overhyped overpriced loud and unreliable.

Last the PSU and RAM are both way overkill you dont need either a 750 watt PSU or 32 GB of RAM.
Hey Shilka, how have you been?

I had an H100i for 2 years cooling my 8350 and it was great. I now have a full loop but while I had it it worked great. Also the EK one might be good now but because of leaks at the waterblock they had to recall a ton of them so I wouldn't be so quick to jump on that bandwagon. Watercooling is a matter of choice, it's not needed for most systems so one should buy what ever fits their needs and wants.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,424 Posts
There is really no reason to go with the H110 when the NH-D15 is better in every way other then looks and its much cheaper and more quiet.
I still stand by when i say CLC coolers are overrated overhyped and overpriced and they are more of a fashion gimmick and marketing hype.

·
Hydro Therapist
494 Posts
another vote for Noctua NH-D15, cant possibly go wrong with it.

Air 540 +1 too.

·
Old Guy
4,371 Posts
Quote:

There is really no reason to go with the H110 when the NH-D15 is better in every way other then looks and its much cheaper and more quiet.
I still stand by when i say CLC coolers are overrated overhyped and overpriced and they are more of a fashion gimmick and marketing hype.
We could have a debate about whether or not an H110 or NH-D15 is better but that's wasn't my point. I think air coolers are ugly, that's just my opinion, they hide too much of the motherboard too. Some of us spend a ton of money getting nice looking hardware and IMHO an CLC just looks better. I spent $500 on a full loop I don't have to have but I think it looks great and my CPU is cool as a cucumber.

How come you went from being the PSU expert and slamming corsair and seasonic PSU's to slamming CLC's. Did you get bored?

By the way I am getting the new version of the H110i extreme performance to review so I will let you know how well it works if you want.

·
Living life! Twice IfIHv2
3,459 Posts
AIO/CLCs have their place, they are not perfect certainly but its really all in what you are trying to accomplish as to whether they are useful for a particular build.. They are not necessarily the best coolers but a lot of them are quite effective, you can add better and more quiet fans to them and they have other benefits such as allowing you to dump the heat directly out of the case. The latter being especially useful when used on GPUs. Custom loops are better overall for cooling sure but CLC/AIOs have a place. No maintenance, easy for beginners to use and other reasons. I personally do not believe they can simply be written off as an over rated fashion gimmick. But Shilka is certainly entitled to his opinion.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,147 Posts
+1 for the Noctua NH-D15 less moving parts and much quieter then clc's

If you have to go clc get a swiftech.

corsair's are junk

·
Old Guy
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlay View Post

corsair's are junk
Most of them are made by asetek anyway. I don't think Corsairs are junk, that's a pretty broad statement. I had one for 2 years and it worked great

·
Senior OCN Member
40,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlay View Post

corsair's are junk
The Swiftech is not a CLC its open not closed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajer29 View Post

Sorry to turn this into a AIO cooling solutions thread, but honestly I'd recommend an EK kit cooler. They low-end are about the same price as the H100is and the high-end perform pretty well. I kinda wish I would have gone EK if I'd known they had simply AIO kit solutions.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/aio

or

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/kits
About the same price? I can get the H110i GT for 120€, or Predator/Kit from EK for 240€. Swiftech is somewhere in between, so that's probably my best option.

Quote:

Read the first sentence of the top post. I AM asking them to move this to an appropriate section
smile.gif

It's true that I can get the same performance with less noise using the NH-D15, but if I can get some decent looking watercooling say under 180$, I'm willing to pay a little extra for the looks.
Also I might not need that much power with the PSU, but I do need all the RAM. Remember that I said that I do video editing
wink.gif

·
Premium Member
6,198 Posts
Quote:

We could have a debate about whether or not an H110 or NH-D15 is better but that's wasn't my point. I think air coolers are ugly, that's just my opinion, they hide too much of the motherboard too. Some of us spend a ton of money getting nice looking hardware and IMHO an CLC just looks better. I spent $500 on a full loop I don't have to have but I think it looks great and my CPU is cool as a cucumber.

How come you went from being the PSU expert and slamming corsair and seasonic PSU's to slamming CLC's. Did you get bored?

By the way I am getting the new version of the H110i extreme performance to review so I will let you know how well it works if you want.

sorry but its the pursuit of performance not my pretty pc .net - loud overpriced aio are at the bottom of the performance basket and are the opposite of what they are supposed to be for.
there is no debating the fact that the nh-d14 is superior to corsair/asetek all-in-one coolers. it costs less and is quieter with the same performance, no debate.

eldan, buy a custom loop ( or kit by a water cooling company) or go with a top-end air cooler. dont waste money on a closed loop air cooler.
also, if you do a lot of video editing, go with the 5820 i7. youll be happy you did.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts