Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Im new to this forum.

Im planning to build a PC for video editing. My budget is around €1000. Some one please help me to find out a good configuration within that budget.

* Will I get a good PC with that budget?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Iconoclast
30,430 Posts
Video editing is mostly going to be CPU dependent, with memory and storage being secondary considerations.

Absent more specific information regarding your needs, I'd recommend: an eight-core Ryzen; 16GiB of decent memory; a fast moderately sized SSD for OS/programs/scratch space; and a pair of mechanical drives, one for raw/source files, and the other for output. GPU shouldn't matter much for a pure video editing box.

Shouldn't be overly difficult to fit such a system in your budget.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Video editing is mostly going to be CPU dependent, with memory and storage being secondary considerations.

Absent more specific information regarding your needs, I'd recommend: an eight-core Ryzen; 16GiB of decent memory; a fast moderately sized SSD for OS/programs/scratch space; and a pair of mechanical drives, one for raw/source files, and the other for output. GPU shouldn't matter much for a pure video editing box.

Shouldn't be overly difficult to fit such a system in your budget.
Thank you for your reply. Could you please be more specific on the configuration. So that I can plan the budget.

Thanks

·
Iconoclast
30,430 Posts
Thank you for your reply. Could you please be more specific on the configuration. So that I can plan the budget.
Best choices will depend on what's available in your area, so it's hard for me to get too specific.

I'd build the system around a Ryzen 7 2700X, a quality lower mid-range X470 motherboard (something in the 150-200 euro ballpark from ASUS or ASRock), and the least expensive brand-name 2x8GiB kit of DDR4-3200 (or faster) you can find.

For drives, a good starting point would be an affordable M.2 NVMe OS/program drive of sufficient size for your non-video manipulation needs; something like an Intel 760p or Samsung 960/970 EVO in the 256GB to 512GB range would probably be ideal. You'll want separate drives for video editing work, both for price/GB and endurance reasons. If the raw video you are working with is standard HD (1080p) at below 60 fps, you can get away with a single mechanical drive (a modern 7200rpm drive of sufficient size to hold the source files you intend to use for any given project) for the source drive. Destination drive can be slower and smaller, if that saves you money, as you'd use it for transcoded files at lower bitrates. If you work with a lot of 4k video at high frame rates, you may well need SSDs (or arrays of mechanical drives) for source and scratch drives, which could get quite expensive. Some more detail on your exact use would be beneficial.

Power supply shouldn't be too costly. Value sweet spot for quality units is typically in the 600-850w range, which should should be more than enough power for the parts above, plus almost any single GPU you care to use. I generally prefer Seasonic, Corsair, or Enermax. No need to go for the super high-end units either.

GPU itself is almost irrelevant for a pure video editing box and you can go really low end here if you aren't doing any gaming, 3D modeling, or the like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best choices will depend on what's available in your area, so it's hard for me to get too specific.

I'd build the system around a Ryzen 7 2700X, a quality lower mid-range X470 motherboard (something in the 150-200 euro ballpark from ASUS or ASRock), and the least expensive brand-name 2x8GiB kit of DDR4-3200 (or faster) you can find.

For drives, a good starting point would be an affordable M.2 NVMe OS/program drive of sufficient size for your non-video manipulation needs; something like an Intel 760p or Samsung 960/970 EVO in the 256GB to 512GB range would probably be ideal. You'll want separate drives for video editing work, both for price/GB and endurance reasons. If the raw video you are working with is standard HD (1080p) at below 60 fps, you can get away with a single mechanical drive (a modern 7200rpm drive of sufficient size to hold the source files you intend to use for any given project) for the source drive. Destination drive can be slower and smaller, if that saves you money, as you'd use it for transcoded files at lower bitrates. If you work with a lot of 4k video at high frame rates, you may well need SSDs (or arrays of mechanical drives) for source and scratch drives, which could get quite expensive. Some more detail on your exact use would be beneficial.

Power supply shouldn't be too costly. Value sweet spot for quality units is typically in the 600-850w range, which should should be more than enough power for the parts above, plus almost any single GPU you care to use. I generally prefer Seasonic, Corsair, or Enermax. No need to go for the super high-end units either.

GPU itself is almost irrelevant for a pure video editing box and you can go really low end here if you aren't doing any gaming, 3D modeling, or the like.
I can get items from amazon uk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts