Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Waaaaaaaaaaaay too much RAM for pfSense.

You're also better off using a flash card, SD card or memory on module for your fixed disk. No noise, no moving parts, less failure.

·
Registered
790 Posts
That is completely overkill on the ram. Food for thought; you might turn this box into another project, and that MAY require more ram, and for very slightly more you might as well...

Interesting motherboard find too. Been looking for a ITX motherboard with dual LAN!

Also there's smaller case's if size is a big deal to you

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'm stepping it down to a single 2GB stick for now. The second slot is still there if I need it. I know the RAM and even the CPU might be a little more than I need, but for the cost, I'll get a little future-proof-ness
wink.gif

The only other ITX with dual LAN I've found was a Supermicro board, but it was $180 (almost the total cost of the build).

Since I don't need an add-in card, here's the new case I'm going with: http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Mini-ITX-enclosure-PicoPSU-compatible/dp/B003DXI288/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327158691&sr=8-3

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
i'd prioritize getting a board with intel nics for pfsense builds. based on my experience in building pfsense and m0n0wall routers, any other brand of nics will overload the cpu (specially pfsense) with interrupts unless you plan to use device polling. however, device polling method introduces latency.

PS: three questions for you;

what is the setting for this router? (home or office)
what is the bandwidth it needs to handle?
how many nodes does this router need to accommodate?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts