Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I haven't been here for a good four years or so, dumped my old e-mail address and had to re-register, I used to go by the username Kalavere, but that's not important!

I am trying to build a rig primarily for photo editing and media use. I will undoubtedly play a handful of games on it but it's not really my bag nowadays. I am only looking for CPU, Mobo, RAM and a decent PSU. This is what I've got in mind thus far -

Now what I am looking for is something with high throughput, I regularly export hundreds if not thousands of photos and work with 100 Mb+ TIFF files so I need decent speed with which to do so. I currently have a laptop with a Core i5 2540m, 8gb of RAM @ 1333Mhz and a 7200rmp 8mb cache WD drive and the lack of speed while editing is driving me mad.

I have a donor, brand spanking new HP PC with a Core i3-540 CPU, 2 gig of DDR 3 RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX 1800 GPU and a 350 watt PSU, the case is actually pretty decent with modular parts and an easy-in hard drive caddy as well as a quick-release PCI and PCI-E bracket (which I've not come across before!) the ventilation seems decent too.

I'm going to keep the Quadro FX 1800 (for now) and strip out the rest, I have hard drives galore here at home so to get me up and running I'll use of of them temporarily. I want to get the main components installed first then work at the rest in time.

My budget is around £500 just to get me up and running, anything else I add, GPU, hard drives, ect, I will add in time.

Do you think this is a good setup for editing? Any tips, or suggestions would be much appreciated, It's literally been four years since I have taken my eye off of the PC tech world and I need a little guidance!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured that my hard drives would obviously be the bottle neck in the system. A single or pair of SSD's would be a good idea for sure. I have a lot of terabytes of photos to store so I would probably have to look into a single drive so I can fit in 2-3 2tb drives along with the primary disk.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'd RAID the HDDs as well, just for the sake of safety and loss prevention...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Redundancy is my #1 priority. So I'll raid for sure.

Do you guys know much about using my memory as a RAM disc? If I load up with 16 or 32gbs and use it as a RAM disc am I going to see stellar performance gains?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

·
Ever Forward.
6,526 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.