Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm in the process of buying a house and gaming performance is pretty important to me, so here's my current thinking.

I'll be getting 2 internet connections: 1 cable through Road Runner, and 1 DSL through Cincinnati Bell

Now sitting between those guys will be the router. What it's gonna do is route the traffic based on the ports that the data is going to (or at least that's my dream!)

So say all traffic through port 80 will be routed through the Road Runner connection, and all traffic on the ports 27015 - 27016 will be routed though DSL connection.

This way, people can browse, torrent, and use the internet while slamming it for all it's worth, without disrupting any gaming that's going on.

Now my question is, is this possible? I'm downloading UnTangle right now and trying it out in a VM to see if it's easy with it, I assume it will be, or at least possible, but I'd like to see what the ideas out there are!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Ahhh... i would say just get a single very fast internet connection and you shouldn't have problems with lag. Just limit your torrents to 10kbs uploads.

What your describing sounds overly complicated

·
Banned
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Don't use Untangle for this.... Load balancing is not a free app.

Try pFSense instead since it is known for its robust QoS.

http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Mul...g_and_failover

Thanks Duckie, I shall check it out! (I'm still gonna try Untangle just for poops and giggles since it just finished downloading)

Quote:

Originally Posted by eggs2see
View Post

Ahhh... i would say just get a single very fast internet connection and you shouldn't have problems with lag. Just limit your torrents to 10kbs uploads.

Yeah no.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
27015 sounds like valve games, but in your initial post you wrote that you wanted to run that port across the DSL connection. I thought DSL wasn't as good for gaming as cable broadband? Awesome idea though.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I am guessing he is talking about DSL for internet/torrents and such.
Could I ask what routers you are planning on using?
Edit: Never mind, sorry, I need to learn how to read. Port 80 is what I use for uTorrent.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eggs2see
View Post

You never interrupt a man or try to convince him otherwise when he's made up his mind that he wants to do something. ESPECIALLY if it's complicated.

·
Banned
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by h33b
View Post

27015 sounds like valve games, but in your initial post you wrote that you wanted to run that port across the DSL connection. I thought DSL wasn't as good for gaming as cable broadband? Awesome idea though.

Correct, and false. DSL is better for gaming.

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitsoldier
View Post

I am guessing he is talking about DSL for internet/torrents and such.
Could I ask what routers you are planning on using?
Edit: Never mind, sorry, I need to learn how to read. Port 80 is what I use for uTorrent.

God no - cable is better for web usage

80 for uTorrent? Lol I'll just setup a dedicated port for it

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasanovaFly
View Post

You never interrupt a man or try to convince him otherwise when he's made up his mind that he wants to do something. ESPECIALLY if it's complicated.

You get a Rep+ You understand me

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMD+nVidia
View Post

And now I know! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CasanovaFly View Post

I mentioned this before....

How awesome would it be to tether some Sprint 4G phones to a router and get another 3-6Mbps download speed per phone? While there would be high latency, torrent traffic would be fine.

·
Registered
391 Posts
You can also buy a Mikrotik routerboard and connect the 2 modems to it.
The routerboard price includes the OS.
I'm using 2 of them without problems. Take a look at RB750G or RB450G (more expensive, but also more powerful). Other versions have also Wi-Fi.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Complicated = Yes
Doable = Of course
Make much sense to do all this work instead of one really fast / cheaper line = Hell no

I say do it and post some pics!

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
I also have 2 ISP's I want to keep them as seperate as posssible. There is no reason for the hosts on one ISP to want to see what the hosts on the other ISP have as stored data. I am happy as a clam keeping them seperate, maybe the day will come when I will want everyone to see everything that anyone has but they would find out the all have the same thing.

I get static IP's from Qwest but not from Comcast the Comcast side is more secure as a host on the Qwest side has an open port 80, so the damage can be limited to the Qwest side. No special equipment in use so far.

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Explain? I don't see where you came to that reasoning.

·
Banned
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GH0
View Post

Explain? I don't see where you came to that reasoning.

Dedicated bandwidth as opposed to shared bandwidth.

If everyone starts torrenting in my neighborhood, my bandwidth will be less than what I should get, and my ping will fluctuate depending on the situation.

With DSL, it's just my bandwidth on the line and no-one else's, so my ping will not be affected, and I should always be able to use my full bandwidth.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Dedicated bandwidth as opposed to shared bandwidth.

If everyone starts torrenting in my neighborhood, my bandwidth will be less than what I should get, and my ping will fluctuate depending on the situation.

With DSL, it's just my bandwidth on the line and no-one else's, so my ping will not be affected, and I should always be able to use my full bandwidth.

To add, cable places low priority on the upstream so it is more prone to network latency.

This assumes all else is equal.

·
Banned
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

To add, cable places low priority on the upstream so it is more prone to network latency.

This assumes all else is equal.

Yeah, getting that packet upstream telling them that I shot them is kinda important

Thanks for that though, I don't quite remember exactly why all the reasons it's better, I just know over the years that DSL has been shown to be better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts