Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to build a server for home use and self education. I need this server to do a few specific things, DHCP, DNS, Active Directory, Terminal services, and RAID 5.

I need help/advice to keep this with in a decent budget I can build off of ebay, or newegg... I'm hoping some one will come up with a good build to fit into a micro ATX tower (lian li probably). I'm not asking to come up with a parts list, but like which processor is best in the 2nd gen i Series i3 or i5 with built in video, is there a motherboard that can handle a raid 5 setup or should i get a raid controller? SSD for OS or... just lots of these random questions.

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
first off take alook at this store
http://unixsurplus.com/
as as thier ebay listings..
i have bought a number of used servers for education purposes and they are very reliable and well priced
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
In reality you should get a raid card, should the motherboard go south, however a raid card can also go bad..., so it's either or. Really, for what you want, an SSD for server OS is over kill. Just make a couple of partitions on your raid 5 array, and install. Once you've made it the primary DC in the forest, and set up your AD users, groups, etc, then you can just install the dhcp, dns, and file server roles. How many people will you have on the AD database? how many computers will be actively using the DNS server? If less than 40-50, a low level dual core( like an i3) and 4-8 gb ram will do the trick.

Also, why do you care about built in video? It's a server, get it up and running, detatch the monitor, and use RDP to manage things remote, or from your desktop.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very rad, I like the website and advice, will definitely take these things into consideration.

Onboard video just for the install and initial configuration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts