Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of building a new computer, currently having purchased nothing, so have a clean slate to work from.
i've been out of the game for a few years, and want something a bit more than decent.
here's what I've come up with so far, that fits the budget, tell me what you think and what you might change or add:

Case: Antec SuperLanBoy MidiTower
Motherboard: ABIT AV8 Athlon64/64FX S939
CPU: AMD Athlon 64-3500+ Socket 939
PSU: Antec TruePower 480W ATX
RAM: 1GB Corsair TWINX-3200XLPRO DDR
VIDEO CARD: HIS ATi Radeon RX800 PRO 256MB 256-bit DDR3
HDD: Western Digital 74.3GB Raptor SATA
ah..Disc Drive: Sony Dual Layer 16x DVD+/-RW
Gonna stick with onboard sound

i'm interested and, from what i've read so far, planning on OC'ing, so if you could take potential OC'ing into account it'd be good.
thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
One thing I would change would be that Sony drive. Isnt it like 140 bucks or something? The NEC or Rosewill will do just as well and they are a hell of a lot cheaper. I would put the extra 80 bucks or so into a 6800 gt or a X800 XT. The 6800 gt out performs the x800 pro because the Gt has 16 pipelines while the X800 pro has 12. So you would definately be better off with a GT if you could afford it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardwhere
I'm in the middle of building a new computer, currently having purchased nothing, so have a clean slate to work from.
i've been out of the game for a few years, and want something a bit more than decent.
here's what I've come up with so far, that fits the budget, tell me what you think and what you might change or add:

Case: Antec SuperLanBoy MidiTower
Motherboard: ABIT AV8 Athlon64/64FX S939
CPU: AMD Athlon 64-3500+ Socket 939
PSU: Antec TruePower 480W ATX
RAM: 1GB Corsair TWINX-3200XLPRO DDR
VIDEO CARD: HIS ATi Radeon RX800 PRO 256MB 256-bit DDR3
HDD: Western Digital 74.3GB Raptor SATA
ah..Disc Drive: Sony Dual Layer 16x DVD+/-RW
Gonna stick with onboard sound

i'm interested and, from what i've read so far, planning on OC'ing, so if you could take potential OC'ing into account it'd be good.
thanks!
Personally, I would go with an ASUS A8v mobo, I've had great luck with mine, and heard enough bad about the ABIT that I would avoid it.

• Rep+
Reactions: hardwhere

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've done some more reading, revising and budgeting and come up with this, main alterations being the motherboard, extra hdd and upping the x800pro to the xt.

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
ATHLON 64 3500+
ATi x800xt vid card
2x Western Digital Raptor 74gb 10k rpm in raid-0
CORSAIR dual channel 1GB TWINX-3200XLPRO (2-2-2-5)
Antec TruePower 480W

i wont be too concerned about dvd burner yet.
any word on which manufacturers are preferable with the video card, ie PowerColor, Sapphire, MSI, etc.
Also cases, not too sure where to go with them, any ideas?
how big is the performance leap between the 3500+ and the 4000+? or even the 3800+ I guess, I know the price jumps up quite a bit..
and will there be a noticeable difference if I got a larger, 2gb dual channel ram?
I'll be building it in about 4 weeks, and want it to be good.
thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
that looks awsome...
but here are a couple things that will perform AWSOMER...now assuming your overclocking

first I'd go with a skt 754..... they are so much better than the 939's right now

if your going skt754 I'd advise a DFI nf3 board

for Ram
OCZ VE(voltage exstream) (warrented to 3.5v)

and for vid card get a 6800 over a x800 unless your really Die hard ATI ( i was but i have a 9600 so it made me hate them)

and digital pointed out cheaper drive.... its not really that important

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Everything looks good except for the ram.. I would go from something higher than PC3200, at least 3700 so you have guaranteed headroom for overclocking.

And I'm with Dark on the S754 deal, but I dont want to change your whole system there

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so seems the s754 is the way to go?
probably 3400+ ? so you reckon DFI nf3 motherboard? I wanna stick with the ATI x800xt for now if i can. what do others think of this?
what does everyone else reckon with regards to the motherboard?

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

so seems the s754 is the way to go?
probably 3400+ ? so you reckon DFI nf3 motherboard? I wanna stick with the ATI x800xt for now if i can. what do others think of this?
what does everyone else reckon with regards to the motherboard?
Well this motherboard is an overclocker's dream, more mem tweaking options than you can dream of, will reach higher bus speeds than any cpu/ram you can throw at it, overall stability is really good, and on top of that you have a bunch of geniuses that make hacked bios (better voltage, quicker updates) over at the dfi-street forum, so when there's a known issue they ususally fix it even before dfi does

·
Registered
929 Posts
If u wanna be more futureproof i suggest u go for a s939 board, ditch the 3500+ and put the money into an SLI mobo and OC a 3200+ winchester to 2.5-2.6ghz.

SLI lets u run two gfx cards in sync almost doubling graphics performance. Two 6600GTs actaully perform better than a single 6800 ultra and still cost less than a single 6800u Ultra.

That is if u are gonna be an oc and gaming freak

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

so you would agree the s754 3400+ would be a better way to go than the s939 3500+?

At the moment yeah. I mean either system will perform very well but the S754 system beats out the other system in price/performance ratio.

For being future proof??? I dont know, if say you get a 3500+ 939 now with a motherboard with plans of upgrading to a better cpu later on... If you decide to upgrade the cpu in 1 year chances are you'll be upgrading the mobo too because there will probably be new ones out with improved chipsets and new technologies..

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

what mobos are recommended for SLI? I'll do some reading into this then, hadn't even considered pci express

DFI NF4 SLI-DR

·
Registered
929 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

At the moment yeah. I mean either system will perform very well but the S754 system beats out the other system in price/performance ratio.

For being future proof??? I dont know, if say you get a 3500+ 939 now with a motherboard with plans of upgrading to a better cpu later on... If you decide to upgrade the cpu in 1 year chances are you'll be upgrading the mobo too because there will probably be new ones out with improved chipsets and new technologies..

what new technologies can we expect to see in a years time aside from dual core cpus (which are comin out summer i think)?

As for SLI mobos, asus, msi and gigabyte have a board out. Couldn't tell ya which one would be recommended (need to read a bit more on each).They all use the same Nforce4 chipset. I'm personally waiting to see what the DFI SLI mobo is gonna be like, given their past success with overclockability.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Skt 754 is really the way to go at present time.

DFI nf3 Lanparty coupled with nice CPU and nice RAM and your be set for quite some time.

I really dont see the point in going Skt 939... It holds no performance gain unless your willing to shell out well over a grand and buy into the SLI technology.

But if gaming is not that high on your list of things you use your PC for then Skt 939 is just a gimmick.

As for people saying its more futureproof to go Skt 939 well thats just BS.
Its not futureproof... Nothing in computing is futureproof. Computing for the most people in here is price vs performance then tweaking the hell out of it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gaming performance is important. what do you think of going SLI buying AMD 3500+ (or whatever, any s939) , ASUS A8N-SLI skt939 nf4 motherboard, then getting a single ATI x800xt pci-e card, upgrading to 2 in the future, whenever games will require that much power. at least that way i wouldn't lose like 800 bucks (AU) when upgrading the video card.

i'm looking at spending, all up, about $3200 australian, and have good contacts to help keep price a bit lower.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

gaming performance is important. what do you think of going SLI buying AMD 3500+ (or whatever, any s939) , ASUS A8N-SLI skt939 nf4 motherboard, then getting a single ATI x800xt pci-e card, upgrading to 2 in the future, whenever games will require that much power. at least that way i wouldn't lose like 800 bucks (AU) when upgrading the video card.

i'm looking at spending, all up, about $3200 australian, and have good contacts to help keep price a bit lower.

Ok $3200 AUS works out at just under £1300 Sterling... So if you really want to go the SLI route then here is my list of hardware.

Mobo - DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR
CPU - AMD64 3500+ Winchester 90nm OEM
RAM - Geil 2x512 PC4000 Ultra Platinum CAS2.5
GPU - xFx 6800 GT
HDD - 2x Hitachi Deskstar 160Gb SATA
PSU - Tagan 480W

That little lot here in the UK comes to £1,011.39

If you can pick up that little lot in AUS and the get another xFx later on.

EDIT: The card you suggested is not SLI... Only Nvidia has SLI.

• Rep+
Reactions: hardwhere

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for that! yeah i was assuming all pci-express were sli compatible, nope! guess that option does mean only the nvidia is worthwhile. seems like that could be a good way to go.

the dfi lanparty nf4 is available here january 28th or something, i have to wait like a month anyway, so that's no probs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts