Overclock.net banner

Building Budget 1st time Sub Ambient Rig

1796 4
Hello all.

Me and a friend want to get into below ambient cooling for overclocking fun. We planned on building something that was somewhat cheap so if be blew up components they would not cost $500 ea. Was thinking about a 4930k and a 780Ti Classified with http://www.ldcooling.com/shop/ld-pc-v2-115v-usa/192-ld-pc-v2-115v-phase-change-black-xl-suction.html. Also plan to water cool the 780Ti with some type of chiller. (Yes I know I will have to insulate practically everything) Anyone got any better idea's as to what kind of setup is beginner friendly?

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated before I dive off the deep end...

Thanks
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· 46 Cans of Ravioli
36,840 Posts
Easiest way to go sub-ambient is build a WC loop and submerge the radiator in ice-water. Use a insulated cooler or even just a bucket and get a submersible pump to flow cold water through the fins in the rad. Keep adding ice as it melts.

TEC or phase is probably the next step, but buying an LN2/DICE pot is probably more noob friendly if you can buy it locally.

· Ti
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright I'll try the chilled liquid loop before I go dry ice or LN2. One more thing, which is better for insulating the PC? Putting Vaseline all over it or plastidip? I know many popular overclockers live and die by Vaseline, but I really dislike the idea of my motherboard forever having a layer of lube on it. But you gotta do what you gotta do right?

· 46 Cans of Ravioli
36,840 Posts
you can use kneaded eraser instead.

· Ti
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay dope. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.