Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Projected Build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k Sandy Bridge $225

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5850

Motherboard:

Power Supply: 650w+ Corsair
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371015 $75

RAM: 1333 (2 x 4g)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-315-_-Product $75-95

Cooling: $75

Storage: Primary: 128gig+ SATA II SSD Secondary: 500gig (I dont need much space) $250 for both

Case: New Case where it fits: $70-100

CD/DVD: Currently using a USB DVD drive >.> I don't really use it at all and have absolutely no need for blue-ray or w/e $10

Total Current Cost: $775
-Assuming high end for the ranges, I have $525 left for the motherboard. They don't seem to run above $250 very easily, so I have a good $275 to spend on higher quality parts, or maybe another video card.

Other Facts: I already own the case and the GPU, and I don't plan on using multiple graphics cards unless for some reason I would actually need to run above 60 FPS, right? I have a budget of about $1300, I am willing to go over if it makes the installation easier/improves stability etc. I know I will need new RAM and a new Power Supply for sure (one reason I don't have a built-in CD-ROM is because I ran out of cords coming from the PSU >.>). I won't be doing any high-level rendering often, I will use this system primarily for gaming.

Main Questions:
1. Motherboard titles/information scare me even more than processor ones used to. Going to need a lot of help on this choice.

5. I would prefer a quiet system, but liquid cooling makes me anxious. Also, I hear the stock heatsink works fine for this CPU, so I would prefer to not mess with that unless ya'll have a dandy, new efficient one that doesn't cost too much and works better. Basically, sell me on an aftermarket one and I'll consider it.

Thank You,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Amateur-Nerd
 

·
VROOM VROOM
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
For the motherboard I would go with an Asus board, but i am not familiar with the new boards yet.

for the PSU go with something along the lines of a 750watt. Possibly the corsair TX or HX series.
TX won't be modular so you will have to have cable management in the case.
HX is modular so you can just disconnect any unneeded cords.

For the ram look into corsair XMS ram, it seems to be pretty good price for 8gb of it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145315

A new case would probably be a good idea for you. something with some cable management.
Depends on your budget. If you want a really blue case you could go with the NZXT apallo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811146026

For cpu cooling, you really should go with aftermarket.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065
that would be a great cooler for a great price. plus you can add two fans if you would like.

unless you really want an SSD it is probably a waste of money at this point. Just get a really fast hard drive. like a WD black edition.
but if you want an SSD, you need to talk to the other guys about that.

for a DVD drive, just go with a basic 20 dollar burner.
 

·
VROOM VROOM
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Plex
View Post

SSDs are the opposite of a "waste of money." That's a really silly comment to make.

way to contribute to the thread.

You are also saying this while running a over the top system with two of the most expansive single gpu cards available. so how can you even say what costs too much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,117 Posts
SSDs aren't all quite at the $1:1GB ratio, so the price is a little steep for the space you get, but your plan is good. Running your OS on the SSD and using another for space is a standard SSD plan.

If you really don't want to overclock, the H series Sandy Bridge boards should be out soon. This is a overclocking forum, so most suggestions will be for overclocking boards.

Power supply you need at least 500w. Corsair and Silverstone make good sub-600w powersupplies.

You need an ATX motherboard compatible case. I think those XPS models only had microATX compatibility.

Yes 1600 RAM is overkill if you aren't overclocking.

Stock heatsinks from Intel are pretty fidgety. I would look into an aftermarket cooler that's less of a hassle to install.

A liquid cooled system won't necessarily be quiter, but it will cool your parts better. Watercooled systems use radiators with fans that can be just as loud as an air cooled system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht;11970981
way to contribute to the thread.
Sorry, I'll slow it down so that the contribution is more evident.

OP: It is definitely worthwhile to get at least a 60GB SSD for your OS. It's one of the best performance upgrades you can make and it's well worth the money. Speed isn't the only benefit to an SSD. There are lots of reasons to make it worth the investment. Such as:

Faster read/write times.
No spin-up times.
Faster access time.
Lower read latency.
No sound at all because of no moving parts.
Last longer because of no moving parts.
Read performance same for all sector because it's solid-state (no moving parts). (read consistency time)
SSDs require a fraction of the power that HDDs do.
Much less likely to fail from shock or any movement (no moving parts).
No need to read sequentially so no need to defrag, ever.
Not susceptible to magnets.
Can be completely erased/formatted.
Smaller in form factor and weight.

Hopefully I've contributed to the thread a little bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far!

I should clarify - I'm interested in overclocking in general and want to do it with this system, but I meant more that I am not looking in any way to compare benchmarks or anything. Just pushing the CPU to about 4ghz and making sure everything stays stable and cool is what I had in mind.

So it looks like I will buy an aftermarket heatsink, if they are easier to install I guess its worth it.

I was planning on 2 x 4gigs of ram, Corsair does seem like a good brand, and I will stick with the 1333 unless I am under budget later.

I'm pretty stuck on the SSD, they are just too cool
tongue.gif


And it appears that a 750w power supply will be plenty for whatever I will use it for, so thats good it wont run over $100.

I'll edit the op and update what budget is left once I get back from class
biggrin.gif
 

·
VROOM VROOM
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by GlockZoR IV
View Post

for god sakes buy nvidia.

oh btw id really reccomend the Xigmatek Dark Knight cooler, i get 40C and 60C load @ 4gHz

He already has the video card, and the hyper 212 is about the same as a dark knight.
 

·
VROOM VROOM
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Plex
View Post

Sorry, I'll slow it down so that the contribution is more evident.

OP: It is definitely worthwhile to get at least a 60GB SSD for your OS. It's one of the best performance upgrades you can make and it's well worth the money. Speed isn't the only benefit to an SSD. There are lots of reasons to make it worth the investment. Such as:

Faster read/write times.
Faster spin-up times.
Faster access time.
Lower read latency.
No sound at all because of no moving parts.
Last longer because of no moving parts.
Read performance same for all sector because it's solid-state (no moving parts). (read consistency time)
SSDs require a fraction of the power that HDDs do.
Much less likely to fail from shock or any movement (no moving parts).
No need to read sequentially so no need to defrag, ever.
Not susceptible to magnets.
Can be completely erased/formatted.
Smaller in form factor and weight.

Hopefully I've contributed to the thread a little bit.

This would be wonderful if we were discussing storage solutions only, but we are talking about the whole computer, so congratulations on talking about one item.

and since when do SSD's last longer then hard drives? Last time i checked they start losing performance pretty quick, compared to a hard drive which keeps the performance pretty much up to the day it dies.

If you were to do read write cycles over and over again an SSD would die long before a hard drive.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,672 Posts
I would suggest a Corsair H50/H60/H70 to cool the cpu if you want to stay quiet. It's liquid but it's a totally closed system and doesn't require any maintenance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,233 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by thrasherht
View Post

This would be wonderful if we were discussing storage solutions only, but we are talking about the whole computer, so congratulations on talking about one item.

and since when do SSD's last longer then hard drives? Last time i checked they start losing performance pretty quick, compared to a hard drive which keeps the performance pretty much up to the day it dies.

If you were to do read write cycles over and over again an SSD would die long before a hard drive.

Are you implying that if I want to contribute to the thread that I have to discuss everything instead of one component at a time? Stop fishing.

Also, you're wrong about the SSD. Go read up on TRIM and if you feel like you need to come back and troll more I'm just going to report and move on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,752 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Plex
View Post

Sorry, I'll slow it down so that the contribution is more evident.

OP: It is definitely worthwhile to get at least a 60GB SSD for your OS. It's one of the best performance upgrades you can make and it's well worth the money. Speed isn't the only benefit to an SSD. There are lots of reasons to make it worth the investment. Such as:

Faster read/write times.
Faster spin-up times.
Faster access time.
Lower read latency.
No sound at all because of no moving parts.
Last longer because of no moving parts.
Read performance same for all sector because it's solid-state (no moving parts). (read consistency time)
SSDs require a fraction of the power that HDDs do.
Much less likely to fail from shock or any movement (no moving parts).
No need to read sequentially so no need to defrag, ever.
Not susceptible to magnets.
Can be completely erased/formatted.
Smaller in form factor and weight.

Hopefully I've contributed to the thread a little bit.

Since when did SSD's have spin up time?
The magnet theory is a myth, you cannot erase a hard drive with normal magnets from things like computer speakers. Most of them are shielded anyways to prevent the disruption of the magnetic field in CRT monitors (hence the degauss button/option). But most of us don't own a CRT monitor anyways. To really erase your normal hard disk with plates you would need a rare Earth magnet like the one in your hard drive. Even then it would have to be big enough so that the field of the magnet would be strong enough to erase the drive.

"4. Is the main difference between SSD pricing due to increasing costs at higher storage levels (32gb -> 128gb), or are there actually performance differences like in hard drives? I see prices from 50 to 450, which seems a little crazy for 100gigs of space."

It's due to demand, storage costs, and speed. SLC SSD's will be faster than MLC but it will also cost more and provide less space. So you will see more MLC drives being sold on the likes of NewEgg than you would SLC drives. SSD's aren't mainstream yet, the only reason you'd want one is to boot into your OS faster and fast read/write/transfer speeds. But a normal hard drive is fine and better if you need more space than you do speed. But I wouldn't go with anything less than 120GB if you want a boot up drive for Windows. Applications take up quite a bit of space. It's up to you to decide if you need that extra speed though.
 

·
VROOM VROOM
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Plex
View Post

Are you implying that if I want to contribute to the thread that I have to discuss everything instead of one component at a time? Stop fishing.

Also, you're wrong about the SSD. Go read up on TRIM and if you feel like you need to come back and troll more I'm just going to report and move on.

nvm, go have fun believing that SSD's last longer then hard drives.
why do you think you can't have a page file on an SSD? to many read write cycles, kills the drive very quick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,233 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by thrasherht
View Post

nvm, go have fun believing that SSD's last longer then hard drives.
why do you think you can't have a page file on an SSD? to many read write cycles, kills the drive very quick.

Please stop trying to spread misinformation. You can have a pagefile with an SSD. People chose to move the pagefile off of the drive to squeeze out as much performance as possible. I've see estimations that the lifespan of a quality SSD is about 100 years.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,661 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by anoob
View Post

But I wouldn't go with anything less than 120GB if you want a boot up drive for Windows. Applications take up quite a bit of space. It's up to you to decide if you need that extra speed though.

I got a 120GB drive for OS and apps and it is less than half full with everything installed on it except my games. I would say anything 60GB and up is good.

Quote:


Originally Posted by thrasherht
View Post

why do you think you can't have a page file on an SSD? to many read write cycles, kills the drive very quick.

this isn't true with current gen SSD controllers, the newer intel and sandforce drives will handle the pagefile just fine without any more degradation than an HDD.

I have to say, if I where building a budget build and had a little extra to spend on a single item it would be an SSD before CPU or GPU, it definitely has made the most noticeable difference of any upgrade I have ever gotten.
 

·
VROOM VROOM
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Plex
View Post

Please stop trying to spread misinformation. You can have a pagefile with an SSD. People chose to move the pagefile off of the drive to squeeze out as much performance as possible. I've see estimations that the lifespan of a quality SSD is about 100 years.

I don't think that takes into consideration using it nonstop, otherwise why would there be a lifespan on CD's you write to them once.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,233 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by anoob
View Post

Since when did SSD's have spin up time?


Whoops! Haha nice catch. You knew what I meant
.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,661 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by thrasherht
View Post

I don't think that takes into consideration using it nonstop, otherwise why would there be a lifespan on CD's you write to them once.

why would any drive be written to non-stop at max speeds ever? that just doesn't happen.

however, MLC drives will last about 5-10 years being used non-stop at max speed and SLC drives will last 30+ years being used non-stop at max speeds.

when you extend that to real life and say that you used the drive 8 hours a day at max speed (which is still WAY more than realistic) that means the MLC drives will last about 15-30 years, and slc will last 90+ years. that is well beyond the typical mechanical HDD and well beyond the time it will take for the tech. to be obsolete and ready for upgrade anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,503 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by thrasherht
View Post

nvm, go have fun believing that SSD's last longer then hard drives.
why do you think you can't have a page file on an SSD? to many read write cycles, kills the drive very quick.

Umm troll more?

SSD's will last just as long or longer than normal Hard Drives.

Honestly, when was the last time you came on here and saw a thread "O halp me, my SSD died!!".

Now compare to the number of dead hard drive threads.
The fact that there are no moving parts on an SSD not only make it faster but more durable.

Stop spreading misinformation
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top