Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 24/7 Folding machine running Ubuntu 11.10 on a i7 2600k. I've installed LAMP services and running a FTP site. I've tested from outside the network on all services and know that everything is working so far i.e. I can hit my FTP and Website.

Here's where I need the help. I haven't done that much with HTML, still going to school part time for this. However I'm a quick study and think I have done all the hard parts. I was thinking of using Adobe Dreamweaver or Microsoft Essentials to build the site. I'm thinking about building the site to take my two HFM clients output and build a single unified site with all clients that tracks their PPD per WU and shows some other different data. Now I'm thinking in order to do this I will need to utilize both mySQL and PHP to track the data and pull the data from the .xml output files from HFM. Then integrate this into the website.

Now I have never done anything like this before but really enjoy a challenge and think this would be awesome in the end and also teach me a good amount about web sites, SQL, and scripting.

Since I have never done this before I'm basically trying to find out if I'm right in my assumptions about what needs to implemented and then I can figure out how to get it all working, so I'm turning to my favorite place on the web.

·
Premium Member
10,193 Posts
Hi elchucko. It is very important to take your bandwidth speed, particularly your upload speed into account when hosting a website, or anything that users will connect to. Do you have any numbers for us to work on?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Currently with Comcast I have like 10+ Mbps down and 1+ Mbps up. I think this should be sufficient to serve a site that isn't too involved. The biggest thing here is that I want to learn how to build sites like this and with my own server I can build and deploy anything I want and have a better understanding of the whole process. I could always get a bigger pipe to. What I was mainly posting here for was advice on the actual construction, I'm a complete noob when it comes to HTML, PHP, and SQL. I'm a fairly quick learner and can play and tinker with everything until I get it working. This is mainly a project that will teach me and allow me to track my folding remotely and place a link in my sig so anyone can see how my machines are doing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
if you have lamp running on your local machine you can just develop locally. (Which I would recommend, no need to just into hosting until you have a working product). Though FTP is a plus if you need to develop remotely. HTML is easy, probably only take you less then a few hours to get the basic concepts down. Also if you are going to host locally you better fully understand the configuration of apache, php and mysql because if its not done right you will be prone to easy attacks and I'm almost positive that LAMP out of the box is configured in a way that's more for development rather than for public hosting. (I know a little about configurations, but not nearly enough to help on that topic). Also when I first started web development I stayed away from full fledged IDE's and used tools like notepad++ on windows and gedit on linux. Though I have moved to netbeans most of the time now because so of the debugging php features are nice.

IMO if you know nothing about HTML make sure you learn the basics (which wont take long), then move on to using php to parse a XML file and store in in a database. It's alot of learning on your own (at least for me) I took a php class in college and it really thought me nothing compared to what you can learn on your own.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin View Post

if you have lamp running on your local machine you can just develop locally. (Which I would recommend, no need to just into hosting until you have a working product). Though FTP is a plus if you need to develop remotely. HTML is easy, probably only take you less then a few hours to get the basic concepts down. Also if you are going to host locally you better fully understand the configuration of apache, php and mysql because if its not done right you will be prone to easy attacks and I'm almost positive that LAMP out of the box is configured in a way that's more for development rather than for public hosting. (I know a little about configurations, but not nearly enough to help on that topic). Also when I first started web development I stayed away from full fledged IDE's and used tools like notepad++ on windows and gedit on linux. Though I have moved to netbeans most of the time now because so of the debugging php features are nice.
IMO if you know nothing about HTML make sure you learn the basics (which wont take long), then move on to using php to parse a XML file and store in in a database. It's alot of learning on your own (at least for me) I took a php class in college and it really thought me nothing compared to what you can learn on your own.
So basically I should code completely from a text editor until I get my feet wet and really understand what I'm doing? I can get behind this because I think I will actually learn what I'm doing as apposed to just pulling stuff from a drop down. Really this site is just for development and my own learning. I'm still in a degree program for Web Publishing at my college (online school/part time); basically always wanted to learn and figured this would be a good way. In the end I think this site will be more for my own information. If I can get the tracking down then it would be a one stop shop for me to track performance over time and with different folding worker units.

I guess it's time for me to pull out that PHP & MySQL book I bought!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfWayCrook View Post

If the goal is to automate the data entry you should also look up php scripts executed by cron jobs.
That sounds extremely interesting to me, mainly because if I can get that working now I can start collecting data that will be usuable when I get the site setup.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at different books about HTML5, CSS, PHP, MYSQL, and Javascript. Will check out those links when I get home to try and at least start collecting data. I may start coding the HTML5 this weekend and see what I come up with. Will at least post it with links to my HFM stats.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
In all honesty I would not get to worked up about books, or even buy one. Most programing books just walk you through some sort of project and teach you while going through the steps of making particular project. (I've gone through 2 php/mysql books). Don't get me wrong tho, the first thing when I started was buy a book and started to go through it. It was SOOOooo painful because I had no interest in the project so after about chapter 3 I just started to work on a project that I was interested in. While I was "on my own" with no book I just used resources like google, the php documentation, and the mysql documentation. The php documentation is really useful. http://www.php.net/ There is even a link to download a offline copy as well if needed (can't get to it today because of the blackout).

You have a project that you are interested in already, I would just start there rather then buying a book.

Anyways I'll be watching this thread, post away with questions that you got.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I've never liked programming books...I find them too linear and narrow. My approach is to decide what you want to make, and figure out how to make it. There is absolutely nothing that you can't find on the internet, especially with the help of programming forums such as Stack Overflow.

As for where to start, plain HTML/CSS PHP and MySQL is always a good foundation. Once you have some experience you may want to experiment with some web frameworks, such as Ruby on Rails (RoR) or Django (Python-based).

If you want cheap hosting, take a look at lowendbox.com. You can snag a virtual private server (VPS) - SSH, full root access - for under $10 a month.

·
Banned
748 Posts
LISTEN TO THESE GUYS

they help me fix my little website up pretty good

www.jlcustompc.com

I used Dreamweaver CS5.5

Granted IE does not display it proper but $%^% IE its a stupid browser and no one like it so it should just go away.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Going to start by working up the SQL Database and PHP script to parse the data from the XML file HFM produces. Haven't really gotten anything done as of yet. Busy with work and other side projects. Hopefully this week I can start to focus on this.

Thanks for all the help so far, I know I'm going to need more in the future.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamme View Post

LISTEN TO THESE GUYS
they help me fix my little website up pretty good
www.jlcustompc.com
I used Dreamweaver CS5.5
Granted IE does not display it proper but $%^% IE its a stupid browser and no one like it so it should just go away.
Dude, you're using Comic Sans. On your website. No, just...no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchucko View Post

Going to start by working up the SQL Database and PHP script to parse the data from the XML file HFM produces. Haven't really gotten anything done as of yet. Busy with work and other side projects. Hopefully this week I can start to focus on this.
Thanks for all the help so far, I know I'm going to need more in the future.
Although people have said books aren't great, and I agree in that not only are they linear, you also have to worry that, in a couple years, they'll just be fairly expensive paper weights due to web standards evolving, the only way I got so comfortable with HTML/XHTML, and CSS is by reading, from cover to cover, doing all of the projects, the HeadFirst HTML with CSS & XHTML book (now a little outdated, but I recommend over the same series' HTML5 book, as it will teach you basic good coding practices the newer one won't).

Learn HTML and CSS before you learn anything else. I can't emphasize this enough. You can't jump into the web game trying to learn everything at once. You'll get confused, you won't know which end is up, and you'll spend half or more of your time just looking up tags or commands. It'll take longer than you might expect, but it'll be worth it.

As far as actually coding: do not use Dreamweaver or any similar thing when you start. Use plain notepad. Notepad++ if you really want. I coded all of my first websites on notepad and by doing that I memorized all the tags, all the CSS details, all the things I could possibly need to remember; basically, all the fundamentals.

Finally, let's put a clear separation between coding for the web, and making things available for the web. Building a server and making it world-accessible is not similar, or in any way related, to coding a website. You have to figure out which one you want first before moving. Personally, I hosted my websites, and once I wanted to get more involved, then I got a server running on a dusty old laptop no one was using and put all my stuff on there.
For the server, I recommend getting something old no one is using and just slap CentOS on it (server-specific Linux distro; basically a redhat clone). Then it's just a matter of installing apache, loading up the PHP modules, installing MySQL, and port forwarding to your computer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

·
Banned
748 Posts
Coding is a pain in the ass but damn it works good when you get the hang of it and for the love of god do not try to do it in notepad

Dreamweaver is the way to go or Microsoft Project

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Quote:

Coding is a pain in the ass but damn it works good when you get the hang of it and for the love of god do not try to do it in notepad
Dreamweaver is the way to go or Microsoft Project
No, you mean "for the love of God don't do it in Dreamweaver". Starting web coding out on a platform like Dreamweaver is a terrible way to try and learn the language.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyap7 View Post

No, you mean "for the love of God don't do it in Dreamweaver". Starting web coding out on a platform like Dreamweaver is a terrible way to try and learn the language.
I thought dreamweaver was a great tool

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
Quote:

I thought dreamweaver was a great tool
IMO it dreamweaver is a great tool, so is Visual web developer 2005/2008 and 2010..

but its always recomened when you start out to use things like notpad/notepad++ over wysiwyg dev tools as you learn alot more as dreamweaver etc temps you too much to use the library of stuff you can just drag and drop onto the dev pane I.E a login box
smile.gif

1 - 20 of 20 Posts