Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I am building a PC after ordering these parts,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.432262

The parts listed above are the ones I am using, now I am in need of a video card however. The only requirement I have is that I want to "future proof" it even though that's something that can never be done, I would however like to be able to max out many of the upcoming PC games as well as older games like Crysis that I never got to play, due to having a crappy Dell refurbished. :[

Thanks in advance,
Tainted E.

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
What's your budget? Are you willing to buy used?

For the $350-400 price range, you can pick up a HD 5870 or GTX 470. At the $300 mark, your best bet would be a 5850 or a PNY GTX 465 (90%+ of them unlock to a full GTX 470)

Or if you're willing to go all out, get a 5970
Can't be beaten right now

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking to spend about 300-500ish more on a video card, assuming that's all I'd need haha, I already have the monitor/keyboard/mouse so I'd be set on that...and this newegg bundle comes with everything else I'd need, minus a video card...so probably 300-500.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might get the PNY 465, however is the 1 gig alone on the card with my 6 gigs of ram going to cut it and be able to max out modern and upcoming titles.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
If you are interested in saving around $300 dollars, we can put together the same computer for less, grab an i7-920 or 930 from microcenter or from the FS threads or from Ebay.
There are great deals on open box 1366 motherboards as well.
That ram is over priced.
That case if over priced.
That PSU is over priced...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
698 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdolphin
View Post

If you are interested in saving around $300 dollars, we can put together the same computer for less, grab an i7-920 or 930 from microcenter or from the FS threads or from Ebay.
There are great deals on open box 1366 motherboards as well.
That ram is over priced.
That case if over priced.
That PSU is over priced...

Sounds like he already bought... you point might be moot.

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TaintedEon
View Post

I might get the PNY 465, however is the 1 gig alone on the card with my 6 gigs of ram going to cut it and be able to max out modern and upcoming titles.

GPU ram has nothing to do with system RAM
1gb should be enough, you can look into a 2GB 5870 if you want

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
Quote:

View Post

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883229198

Would that be a easier option? I have never put a computer together and the NewEgg bundle with the parts separate look pretty complicated, it also looks the above prebuilt is cheaper and has more ram...can you notice any flaws?

It's easier, but definitely not cheaper
The RAM they use is more OEM grade than enthusiast grade
I'd still suggest you put your own rig together, you'll learn infinitely more from the experience as opposed to buying a prebuilt

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Is the OEM grade going to make a big difference in the games I play?

Won't make much of a difference, but don't expect to overclock it much

1 - 15 of 15 Posts