Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on starting to build a new rig for folding as using three computers for ~35K PPD seems like a really inefficient set up. (stock i3 @ 5k PPD, stock Phenom x4 830 @ 5k PPD, 3.6ghz i7 870 @ 12K PPD + 470 @ 13K PPD)

So, I looked around and at the CPU PPD Database, and have a good idea of what CPU to pick, but I just want to make sure I am making the right choice.
Also; will be running straight linux on this box.

So out of:
  • i7 2600K
  • i5 2500K
  • Phenom x6 1055T/1090T
  • i7 960
  • FX 8120

What has the best PPD with a reasonable overclock considering power usage and price? ie. I know Sandy Bridge has the best PPD, but they are also the most expensive of the list.

Also; with SB if I use a Z68 board to use the "onboard" graphics, would that decrease my PPD, or should I use a low power card just for video, not to fold on?

TL;DR: Best CPU to fold on considering Price, Power usage, and overclock ability?

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Intel CPU, particularly Sandy Bridge, is better. Not only is [email protected] compiled under Intel compiler, but the fact that Intel wins on performance to power consumption ratio is something you really want.

I'm sure you know by now that AMD CPU are quite power hungry. An OC'd FX-8120 compared to an OC'd 2600K can have a 100 W differences.

Assuming you fold 24/7, you should be able to recover the extra cost from your power bill at a reasonable time (I'm too too lazy to do some math).

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In that case I suppose its down to 2500K and 2600K. So power usage and price between those? Considering in the CPU PPD Database the difference between both @ 4.8ghz is ~5K PPD, seems like 2500K would be better, likely less heat, less power, and is $100 cheaper. Am I right or is the 2600K actually way better than the 2500K?

This rig will be running 24/7, and I will already be saving money going to a single rig + possibly sometimes sig rig instead of 3 rigs for weak ppd.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
In terms of folding I do believe it benefits from HT very much. I'm sure someone will chime in on 2600K.

Also get yourselve an efficient PSU. Some budget PSU like Rosewill Capstone is very good (80 Plus Gold).

Keep in mind IB will be out around April. By then there will be some benchmarks on IB. In theory IB is more power efficient, has more OC headroom, and 6% faster at stock clock. Even if IB turns out to be the same as SB, you know that there will be a lot of people with SB selling 2500K or 2600K here. Something to think about if you don't need this dedicated rig right away.

I don't believe iGPU will hinder ppd. It probably will hinder OC headroom but probably not much.

A cheap Z68 motherboard, like ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, is enough.

·
All time pc nerd
480 Posts
look for opteron 6128 or 6174..this are pure cpu folding..

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Of the choices given, 2600k, no contest. The AMD chips shouldn't even make the list.

Best non server chip would be a hex core sandybridge-e chip, but you can put together a whole 2600k rig for the money the hex core chips alone start at.

·
Premium Member
5,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet-205 View Post

In terms of folding I do believe it benefits from HT very much. I'm sure someone will chime in on 2600K.
Also get yourselve an efficient PSU. Some budget PSU like Rosewill Capstone is very good (80 Plus Gold).
Keep in mind IB will be out around April. By then there will be some benchmarks on IB. In theory IB is more power efficient, has more OC headroom, and 6% faster at stock clock. Even if IB turns out to be the same as SB, you know that there will be a lot of people with SB selling 2500K or 2600K here. Something to think about if you don't need this dedicated rig right away.
I don't believe iGPU will hinder ppd. It probably will hinder OC headroom but probably not much.
A cheap Z68 motherboard, like ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, is enough.
Yes SB for sure out of that bunch. I don't have stats but I thought HT was more like 15-25% boost or so? Not sure, certainly HT uses a lot more power. Because of the power for ppd/w the 2500K may beat the 2600K on SMP, for pure ppd/$ though the 2600K will beat it, plus for now (but maybe not longer) you may be able to run bigadv which is a huge points boost. Like others have said Ivy will lower power and increase performance if you're willing to wait.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I got a SB rig right now, I would most likely get a Gen3 board to do Ivy when it came out.

Hackcremo makes a good point; I have looked at what it would take to build a 4p rig, and thats completely out of the question right now, but a 2P rig would essentially double the price of the rig, Which is still somewhat out of the question right now. Or would a single 6128 be better than a 2600K? Or I could even start building a 2P rig, but only get one CPU now, then get another when I can.

I still think 2600K with ability to upgrade to Ivy when it comes out is my best bet for a low cost, low wattage rig.

Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quote:
Or would a single 6128 be better than a 2600K?
No. An Ivy Bridge or a Sandy Bridge 2500K and up will outperform a 6128. The G34 perform beautifully in multi-socket configurations, for which they are designed, but their low clock speeds and low IPC - all of them, prohibit them from excelling in Folding single-CPU configurations.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post

Quote:
Or would a single 6128 be better than a 2600K?
No. An Ivy Bridge or a Sandy Bridge 2500K and up will outperform a 6128. The G34 perform beautifully in multi-socket configurations, for which they are designed, but their low clock speeds and low IPC - all of them, prohibit them from excelling in Folding single-CPU configurations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet-205 View Post

Not single CPU. Only if you use multiple 6128. At single SB/IB beats it.
Well it damn better beat them with multiple CPUs, the price increases by at least double with a just 2P machine compared to a 2600K rig. When I win the lottery ill build a 4P machine or two, but for now... Ill start collecting 2600K rig parts me thinks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Something to think about if you are considering a 2P G34 system: overclocked SB-e 6-core CPUs are tuning in some amazing performance numbers. Let's say I had spare cash now for another 4P G34 build. Would I? Sure thing! What if that cash were only enough for a G34 2P? Maybe not. I'd probably wait for Ivy Bridge, see what OC potential it has, see what the costs to assemble a system, and then decide.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post

Something to think about if you are considering a 2P G34 system: overclocked SB-e 6-core CPUs are tuning in some amazing performance numbers. Let's say I had spare cash now for another 4P G34 build. Would I? Sure thing! What if that cash were only enough for a G34 2P? Maybe not. I'd probably wait for Ivy Bridge, see what OC potential it has, see what the costs to assemble a system, and then decide.
Good point. I may build a Gen3 Mobo with a 2600K system since I have an ATX case, 400w PSU, spare SATA HDD, 8GB Ram, and a H50, so all I need is a CPU and Mobo to be up and running. With the Gen3 mobo, Ill be able to swap to Ivy if it is worth it, and recoup some moneys by selling the 2600K, just like most of the other SB +Gen3 owners
tongue.gif

if 1P Ivy is anywhere near as good as 2P G34, then I'll be making the best choice since 4P G34 is waaaaaay out of my price range for the foresee-able future. Same as 1P or 2P SB-E... Maybe one day...
biggrin.gif

And if the H50 doesnt give me much temp headroom for an awesome OC, I'll be getting one of these babies: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_202_972&products_id=30280 + 2 AP-14s for nice cool and quiet cooling.

Well, since im on the topic; someone said that using iGPU wont affect PPD, but will it affect OC ability?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts