Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
in da freezing hell
314 Posts

·
RGB Rainbow Vomit!
990 Posts
It'll all work fine together but its not quite what I'd build in that budget.

Current articles suggest Nvidia's new GPU lineup is coming in September. I'd be tempted to wait as the 2080 may be superior to the 1080 Ti, and/or the 1080 Ti may drop in price.

Personally I'd get rid of the 3tb spinning hard drive. I use all solid state storage within my machines, bulk data is kept on NAS.

M.2 storage is an option as well. The performance increase over a regular SSD is negligible in games but other workloads can benefit massively from the bandwidth. Depends what you'll be using the PC for really. Oh and they dont require any cables making the build look much tidier and easier to cable manage, especially if you dont have a modular PSU.

·
in da freezing hell
314 Posts
Personally I'd get rid of the 3tb spinning hard drive. I use all solid state storage within my machines, bulk data is kept on NAS.
I'd disagree on this. Games are typically 70+ GB nowadays so you'd like to remove them from SSD between 2 play-throughs, simply because a typical SSD (512 GB) can't hold many of them.

I have a NAS as well, but no way I'm gonna spend 10 hours to save 70 GB on it ! Works a lot better with an archive HD ...

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I'd get a better cooler and dump the SATA for M.2 since they don't really cost more than SATA drives. If you're an overclocker I'd get a board with a better VRM but that really only matters if you care how much vcore you need to achieve a given frequency, if you have a lesser VRM you can always chuck voltage at it provided the VRM can handle the current.
You can also probably find a kit of 3200Mhz RAM for about the same price at 3000Mhz. Since ram is made by the same 3 fabs, I'd opt for the cheapest 3200Mhz kit you can find.
The PSU is good but you can get a Seasonic Focus Plus 750w unit for about the same price, more efficient, fully modular and a 10 year warranty.

As for the cooler, who knows? Maybe you'll get lucky and yours won't fail in the first year but when/if it does you won't have a computer until it's fixed or replaced. AIOs are pretty temporary compared to the rest of the components on a computer but like I said, you could be one of the lucky ones.

·
R2D2C4Z9
139 Posts
MSI 1080 Ti is higly questionable, not a best cooling, not a best VRM. Asus Strix is a far better.
Keyboard are also questionable, there is a far better mech keyboard on market, even Hyper X Alloy is better.
Also why not to use DUAL Ranks DDR4 memory, it will give you a better performance.
Also your motherboard already got a Wi-Fi build in, why you need a separate one?

·
Registered
142 Posts
MSI 1080 Ti is higly questionable, not a best cooling, not a best VRM.
What the heck are you talking about? I have this same exact 1080ti and I flashed it to the ASUS bios that removes the power limiter... I run 2050mhz on the core consistently and with the fan at a modest 50% my gaming temps are typically in just the 60's at 4k res. Also the VRM's on this card are very strong and more than do the job.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
As others have stated if you can hold off until the 2080 is on offer.

·
in da freezing hell
314 Posts

·
R2D2C4Z9
139 Posts
What the heck are you talking about? I have this same exact 1080ti and I flashed it to the ASUS bios that removes the power limiter... I run 2050mhz on the core consistently and with the fan at a modest 50% my gaming temps are typically in just the 60's at 4k res. Also the VRM's on this card are very strong and more than do the job.
VRM on that card is just a joke, i saw a ton's of burned ones. MSI = LOW QUALITY AS POSSIBLE, that was always a case.
And i don't care about temps if they are fine, pulsations after VRM - important, and your VRM is great as great the weakest component - and here MSI curse is rolling out.
MSI backplate - doing nothing just making temps higher. Cooling overall is highly questionable.

·
Registered
142 Posts
VRM on that card is just a joke, i saw a ton's of burned ones. MSI = LOW QUALITY AS POSSIBLE, that was always a case.
And i don't care about temps if they are fine, pulsations after VRM - important, and your VRM is great as great the weakest component - and here MSI curse is rolling out.
MSI backplate - doing nothing just making temps higher. Cooling overall is highly questionable.

You are the joke.. you know absolutely zilch about this gpu and if the vrms were a joke then I would have blown the card long ago with furmark using a bios that unlocks the power limiter.

·
RGB Rainbow Vomit!
990 Posts

You must think the MSI of 10 years ago is still present; their motherboards used to have poor VRMs and cheap components.
Gaming X are arguably the best quality cards around and make great overclockers. The Twin Frozr6 cooler is much better than anything Asus is currently producing.

Backplates are not there for their thermal qualities. They protect the contacts on the back of the card from accidental damage, potentially add a layer of protection against CPU water cooler leaks, reinforce the rigidity of the card and above all else they look cool.

·
New001
2,668 Posts
You must think the MSI of 10 years ago is still present; their motherboards used to have poor VRMs and cheap components.
Gaming X are arguably the best quality cards around and make great overclockers. The Twin Frozr6 cooler is much better than anything Asus is currently producing.

Backplates are not there for their thermal qualities. They protect the contacts on the back of the card from accidental damage, potentially add a layer of protection against CPU water cooler leaks, reinforce the rigidity of the card and above all else they look cool.
Yeah MSI have built a good reputation up these days.

Could be this advice is now obsolete and now may be the right time for a 1080. Also, the prices are crazy for 2080.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...with_rtx_2080/
your link is truncated, it points to the same address as it reads

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
MSI makes some of the best cards on the market. Just don't get their bottom-of-the-barrel Armor cards, at least not on the upper end. Their Gaming X is about as good as it gets for any given SKU in their lineup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts