Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not a "newbie" to computers, I just haven't been keeping up with whats hot..

My birthdays comin up and I think imma ask for some new comp parts..

Im wanting to go with a 3.2, that will be overclockable to 4.5-5ghz (givin that my cooling is up to the task)

Could you recomend a good motherboard for a decent price? Like to keep it cheap around $100-$150..

Also what specific processor would you recommend? PENTIUM 4 540 SOCKET 775 3.2GHZ (3200MHZ) 800MHZ BUS 1024K OEM be fine?

Guess I really just need ideas for a specific motherboard.. I'l spend more then $150 if its gonna be worth it.. Just looking for somthing thats gonna be FAST and be able to OC to a healthyl 4.5ghz or higher.. (wanna run 4.5 stable daily)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would there be a better CPU to go with?

Also what speed ram would you recommend?

I just wanna make sure, whatever gear I get, wont limit me.. It would really suck if I got a ****ty board, and spent a TON on a processor, ram, and cooling, then only be able to go to like 3.4 =\\

Thx for your help

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towlieee

I just wanna make sure, whatever gear I get, wont limit me.. It would really suck if I got a ****ty board, and spent a TON on a processor, ram, and cooling, then only be able to go to like 3.4 =\\

Thx for your help

For your goals I would suggest PC4400 ram from good maker like OCZ, Geil, etc.

And the CPU, it's not really that the one you want wont make it... It's just that your goals are pretty high for any prescott out there and it will take serious cooling, and some luck.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Thx for your help

Our oc king (and queer essex boy
), xms, has 4.5 on a 560J and a DFI something motherboard...

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin
Our oc king (and queer essex boy
), xms, has 4.5 on a 560J and a DFI something motherboard...
Now now muffin, resorting to personal insults just because i've got a "considerably faster machine than yauuuww!!" will only get you in trouble.

Besides, i have a misus and a kid (and i'm not Elton John)

The DFI 875P-T is a nice board if you are going the Intel LGA775 route.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, I dont think i'l have ANY cooling problems..

As I hear ppl hitting 4ghz on air with 3.2's..

I'm gonna be ordering a professional water block (I use homeade ones right now) I will also be making a chiller out of a 5200 BTU window AC unit.. looking at -20c water temps

and yes, I have looked into condensation proofing and all the goodies

Other then cooling, them are my questions here..

And thanks for all your help guys!

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms
Now now muffin, resorting to personal insults just because i've got a "considerably faster machine than yauuuww!!" will only get you in trouble.

Besides, i have a misus and a kid (and i'm not Elton John)

The DFI 875P-T is a nice board if you are going the Intel LGA775 route.
"Like a candle in the wind..."

I thought you, lando, adas et al were fed up of people copying you

I can't afford to do what you do...and I would recommend anyone to go A64 over P4 right now

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin
"Like a candle in the wind..."

I thought you, lando, adas et al were fed up of people copying you

I can't afford to do what you do...and I would recommend anyone to go A64 over P4 right now

My dads rich, and my birthdays coming up, Must get p4 ><

Now I just need to convince my dad to let me build his comp... He wants to order a $3,000 dell =\\

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

My dads rich, and my birthdays coming up, Must get p4 ><

Now I just need to convince my dad to let me build his comp... He wants to order a $3,000 dell =\\
Do you play games?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
If you are looking to get an entire new system I would recommend going with the Abit Fatal1ty 925X mobo and some DDR2. The only real reason to go with the 875P-T is for backward compatibility with AGP. I love my 875P-T and so do all the copy-cats
around here. I needed to keep AGP as I wanted a 6800Ultra and those seem to be very hard to find in PCI-e. So depends on what you want to do, but either the 875P-T or Fatal1ty are both great boards. I would highly suggest getting PC4400 RAM and water cooling. Prescotts are super hot and you will have a hard-time keeping temps down on air without a jet engine sounding fan and a monster heatsink.

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Dude give him reasons Dell sucks.. like
Number 1: You cant get high end parts
Number 2: You cant buy Ram upgrades besides what Dell gives out
Number 3: They sell crappy computers
Number 4: Their cases are fugly.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Meh, I dunno.. I just like pentium.. Personal preference I guess..

Its not like i'l see the difference.. The most played game on my PC is starcraft anyways! HA

I just like pentium and I think im gonna stick with them. Either way the comp is gonna be extremly fast, and I doubt I would see a difference..

Especially when I plan on using a geforce 4 ti4600 4x agp tell summer!

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shermstix
If you are looking to get an entire new system I would recommend going with the Abit Fatal1ty 925X mobo and some DDR2. The only real reason to go with the 875P-T is for backward compatibility with AGP. I love my 875P-T and so do all the copy-cats
around here. I needed to keep AGP as I wanted a 6800Ultra and those seem to be very hard to find in PCI-e. So depends on what you want to do, but either the 875P-T or Fatal1ty are both great boards. I would highly suggest getting PC4400 RAM and water cooling. Prescotts are super hot and you will have a hard-time keeping temps down on air without a jet engine sounding fan and a monster heatsink.
hey hey hey...dont be copying me now...im the only one with the fatality, and the ONLY one whos should have one lol:shades2:
but yes, u want the 3.4 550, its the best for the money. and u might as well go pci-e ddr2 route. pc5400 ram and a 6800gt will be great, and lots of OC headroom. dont get 4200, ull be limited on the 14x multi like i am

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123
hey hey hey...dont be copying me now...im the only one with the fatality, and the ONLY one whos should have one lol:shades2:
but yes, u want the 3.4 550, its the best for the money. and u might as well go pci-e ddr2 route. pc5400 ram and a 6800gt will be great, and lots of OC headroom. dont get 4200, ull be limited on the 14x multi like i am

I dont have unlimited funds here..

lol.. this is what im asking for, for a birthday present..
Im not even gonna be able to get a video card for a couple months tell I get a job and get my bike paid for. Is there any benefit of the 3.4 over the 3.2 other then a higher clock?

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
no, jus the higher clocks.... but if your dads rich, why are u on a budget?

if u dont wanna OC so high then the 3.2 will be good

1 - 20 of 26 Posts