Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im new here so hi all

i would like some help with getting the right hardware to oc the pentium 4 540. heres the hardware im planning on getting..

CPU: pentium 4 540

core = prescott

core speed = 3.2ghz

L2 cache = 1mb

bus = 800mhz

socket = LGA755

GRAPHICS CARD:

- 350MHz Core Engine Clock speed
- 256MB 1000MHz high speed DDR3 memory
- Superscalar 16-Pipe GPU Architecture
- CineFX 3.0 Engine
- The Industry's First On-Chip Video Processor
- UltraShadow II Technology
- 64-Bit Texture Filtering and Blending
- Intellisample 3.0 Technology
- Unified Driver Architecture (UDA)
- nView Multi-Display Technology
- Digital Vibrance Control 3.0
- High-Speed GDDR3 Memory Interface
- 256-Bit Memory Interface with Advanced Memory Control
- 128-Bit Studio-Precision Computation
- Full-Speed 32-Bit Color Precision
- Advanced Adaptive De-Interlacing
- Video Scaling and Filtering
- TV-Out
- Dual 400MHz RAMDACs
- 0.13 Micron Process Technology
- SLI Multi-GPU Support
- PCI-Eâ€"SIG certified

SOUND CARD = creative soundblaster live 5.1

MOTHERBOARD: P5AD2 Premium

P5AD2 Premium
Intel 925X chipset
Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU
Dual-Channel DDR2 533
Intel PAT
PCI Express Architecture
Wireless LAN onboard
Dual Gigabit LAN
1394b/a

http://uk.asus.com/products/mb/socket775/p5ad2-p/overview.htm

RAM = 1gb dual ddr2 pc4200 ddr533 (2x512mb)

is this motherboard any good at overclocking? also what sort of speeds shall i expect to get out of the cpu, with stock fan or with water cooling. (i might be able to get a 2nd hand water cooling free) also i need a reccomendation with a psu. im guessing its gonna have to be around 450w+ as the graphics card i want is suppose to take alot of power. ~shrugs~ not so, im a noob. im considering getting a black Samurai ATX Tower Case, will this be any good? any1 reccomend a better case and what fans to have in the case. thank you all

·
Registered
698 Posts
Asus is generally a good motherboard maker and has a lot of overclocking options and are generally very stable. I dont know about speeds because I dont deal in intels. As far as a PSU goes you want a stable 500+ watt for the maximum OC. You should look into Antec, Enermax or Fortran (I think thats what its called, correct me if I am wrong). I would recomend an aluminum case such as a Lian-Li or a Thermaltake Tsunami Dream over the Samurai because it is much lighter, and theoretically you get better temps with them, but thats not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx for your help. i shall look through the psu and cases you reccomended
i only wanted the samuria case coz it looked really cool. shall see how the others though

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
1 thing...there is no point in using the soundcard you chose, because the onbboard azalia sound is alot better then that of a soundblaster live card...the only soundcard worth considering for that is the audigy 2 zs. as for clock sppeed u can reach , probly 3.4 with stock cooling, 3.5+ with good air heatsink, and more with water cooling

·
Registered
698 Posts
I must contend with the assertion that you shouldnt use the Live. For this simple reason:

Onboard sound robs CPU cycles. To me the performance hit isnt worth using Onboard. If I want beautiful sounding music, I will play my mp3 player with my Grado SR60s. But thats just me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ah, i know nothing about sound cards at all. never really thought they were anything important for a pc. well as money is tight im gonna just have to stick with no sound card.

denmor, ive looked through the cases you reccomended. they dont seem apealing though lol. is the zorro case any good? and how important is my choice in a case?

thx all for the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts