Table of Contents
Apr 03, 2011 Current Status
Apr 03, 2011 Parts are here
Apr 03, 2011 Painting done
Apr 04, 2011 Intake fan mod, and some WCing parts installed
Apr 05, 2011 Some fan sleeving, rad flushing, ext rad mounting
Apr 26, 2011 Custom pump mount
May 20, 2011 Done

I just got back from from a month long work trip to a computer part x-mas! This build, unlike my last build found here, will be almost mod-less. Of course, I say that now but things always change. I will do some sleeving, some painting, a custom external rad mount, and custom fan wiring. However, the only drilling I will do to the case is drill a hole for the res fill port. That is my goal, however I can almost promise extensive case modding will ensue

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great stuff
bigeyedsmiley.png

Question : Why did you choose AP-15 instead the high rpm ones , considering GTX rads you are using .
thinking.gif

Btw where did you buy ap-15 (sold out everywhere i know)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingSwing;12984350
Great stuff
bigeyedsmiley.png

Question : Why did you choose AP-15 instead the high rpm ones , considering GTX rads you are using .
thinking.gif

Not sure why he went with the ap-15s on those rads because really only offer a .4c advantage over the fesser ones. GTX rads only shine at the 2300/2800 range where they are .5C-1C cooler than the rest. But i suppose it could be for the noise/performance of the fans still an interesting choice. Other than the rads nice set up any reason you went with 4GB dual instead of 6GB tri?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksniper;12984798
Not sure why he went with the ap-15s on those rads because really only offer a .4c advantage over the fesser ones. GTX rads only shine at the 2300/2800 range where they are .5C-1C cooler than the rest. But i suppose it could be for the noise/performance of the fans still an interesting choice. Other than the rads nice set up any reason you went with 4GB dual instead of 6GB tri?
P67 only supports Dual Channel...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingSwing;12984350
Great stuff
bigeyedsmiley.png

thinking.gif

I went with the ap-15s because it is what my water cooling loop is built around. I used them before in a couple builds and have absolutely fallen in love with the AP-15s. They are without a doubt the best fans when it comes to sound vs performance.

Since I knew I would be using the AP-15s, I went with the Black Ice GTXs because of skinnee's awesome review found here. As you can see in that review and the chart below taken from the review the Black Ice GTX is the best performer at 1850 rpm.

triples-v2_OC920_deltaT.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksniper;12984798
In water cooling, every degree or half-degree counts.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark;12985287
P67 only supports Dual Channel...
Yeap!

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's just that if I ever bought GTs to be paired with the GTX I would buy the high rpm GTs (3000 rpm IMO)
Well you have your own considerations , ap-15 is still a good choice (plus it will definitely easy to sell back)
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingSwing;12985620
It's just that if I ever bought GTs to be paired with the GTX I would buy the high rpm GTs (3000 rpm IMO)
Well you have your own considerations , ap-15 is still a good choice (plus it will definitely easy to sell back)
biggrin.gif
Noise is a huge concern of mine. Thus the ap-15s and the fan controller. If I did not care about noise, I would have gone with the higher speed fans.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got finished doing what little painting will be required for the build.

I bought the clear shrouds because of 2 reasons. 1st, they are 20mm. Which according to a test done by Martin is almost the best depth for shrouds. 2nd, they were $2 a piece! But, clear will not fly with my build, so they needed to be painted -

Before -

paint1tp.jpg

After 5 coats of flat black spray paint -

paint3s.jpg

paint4.jpg

The 800d is known for horrible air flow inside the case. So I bought this adapter that will allow me to install an additional 120mm intake fan in 3 unused drive bays. The front of the adapter is a nice black aluminum which matches the 800d perfectly, but the adapter's removable fan bracket is silver.... silver will stand out like a sore thumb. So I painted it too.

Before-

paint2q.jpg

After 5 coats -

paint5r.jpg

paint6e.jpg

It is going to get cold tonight, so I moved all 9 shrouds and and the fan adapter inside for the night to dry -

paint7.jpg

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only case mods I plan to do are drilling holes to swap the stock 140mm intake fan with a GT and drilling a hole to add a fill port. The 120mm fan mount holes are drilled and done -

The original fan -

Original fan out and new fan sitting beside it -

New fan mount holes drilled and fan installed -

I got the CPU in the motherboard, the heatsink on, and ram installed -

The 580GTX's stock heatsink was next to be replaced -

Stock heatsink removed and all the thermal pads installed. I really wish EK would have cut those for me, it probably took me a good hour to cut them and place them on the card -

All done, back plate and water block installed -

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Pi;12994570
Where did you get those shrouds for only $2?
Some random company had them listed on Amazon. I thought it was to good to be true, but I ordered them and they came in. It must have been a listing error that they ended up honoring as they have since been removed from Amazon at that price.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts